Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Boring Routine of Life

After touring Clear Water's W Unit post, apartment for the soldiers, and doing the necessary stuff to set up an anonymous bank account, I finally boarded the ship that would take me home. I spent a week and a half on the thing thinking and sent an e-mail to Deklyn. I told him that I was fine and not to worry about me and left it at that. I couldn't write more or answer any of the personal questions that he and Zane asked, I never talked about Jay. But I wasn't completely cold, I kept in touch with Deklyn as he ventured the universe to keep our government safe.
I arrived on my planet and stood there, feeling isolated and small. Skyscrapers towered thousands of feet up and nearly covered the sky. Speeding buses and cars fly overhead, weaving between the buildings and other flying objects.
No one was there to greet me. But to be honest I didn't really care, all sadness and loneliness I would have felt died long ago leaving only nothing. So I haled a car and road the five minutes to my flat, where I deposited my things and got ready for the next day. And just like that, my boring routine of a life continued. I love my patients, but the monotonous life of check-ups, writing reports, yelling at others, and going home to an empty flat was not the life I longed for. I needed adventure, I needed change, I needed something to keep my mind active. Whenever I wrote a report or typed up a soldier's medical record, my mind would always go back to the mission to Xenon and how much I enjoyed it. Granted, it sucked being out casted by both sides, but it was different and something I always longed to be; a field doctor. However, since I was a werewolf doctor, not many chances were given to us since the units never were assigned a permanent doctor and rarely got one during missions.
That changed when an influx of injured wolves were returning from missions and had to recuperate for days to weeks at a time. It was almost a year after my mission that the W doctors received word that the government was going to try something new. We all once again piled into the auditorium and waited as the same man as before came up to the podium and started talking to us. He started by telling us it was an opportunity of a life time, this got doctors interested. But the man lost almost everyone once the mention of living with wolves was mentioned. How predictable.
Any who, he continued talking about how great an experience it would be, how well one would be paid, and that it would help move the government forward. After an hour and a half of talking, he finally opened it for volunteers. To be honest, I was more than ready to volunteer, but I waited to see if anyone else would like the opportunity first.
I didn't wait long as someone from my department stood up and stated, "I nominate Dr. Alear-Rain Night for this glorious opportunity." Stressing 'glorious' for the head man, who smiled at the wording.
Dr. Singer quickly stood up and said, "I second that notion." Four other people supported that I leave the facility to work with a W Unit permanently. I guess I pissed off more people than I thought, how quick they are to get rid of me.
The man at the podium looked out over the crowd and said, "Dr. Night please stand and make yourself known." I stood up and waited. "Would you like to accept their nominations and take the job?"
Better money (not that I needed it), get to see the universe (always a plus), and I get out of this facility and these bitchy, uncaring people. Sign me up! "Yes sir, I will accept their nomination and take the job." I replied formally.
"Good. Everyone is dismissed except Dr. Night. Thank you for your time." Everyone filed out as happy as could be as I walked down yet again to this man who didn't remember me.
"Sir." I greeted with a salute.
"Dr. Night, at ease. I see you are a mechanic." I nodded. "Then your job is this: You will be living on the ship Myrra, a Phoenix vessel, with a W Unit that will be chosen. You will be their permanent doctor on the ship and on field. It says that you have gone through combat training and are an incredible marksman." Again I nodded, when I wanted to I could kill someone with a gun, bow, or knife. "Good. You will most likely receive a guard for when you are on worlds and on top of being the unit's doctor, you will also serve as mechanic to the ship. You will not have to do much since it is a Phoenix and has a bonded pilot, but still be aware of things that may need to be fixed." He scanned over the documents in his hand and continued, "You will have to write reports about your time on the vessel and how the missions go. You will finish the week and on Saturday you will meet your new unit and board the ship. Any questions?"
"Do we, the unit and I, already have a mission or are you going to float in space until we are needed?"
"There are missions already lined up for you, but you will be briefed about them on Saturday with your Unit." I nodded an understanding. "Also, pack for living on the ship. It will basically be your new home for we do not know when you will be returning here. Understood?"
"Yes Sir." I saluted again.
"Good. Anything else?"
"No sir."
"Dismissed." He saluted me and left. I watched him leave and smiled, I was finally leaving this gods forsaken place and the people who worked here. I was going to miss my patients, but by Saturday they would all be gone and I would have no more.
The week finished rather quickly and I punched out on my last day to the sounds of cheering from my old coworkers. I shook my head and cheered in my head, knowing I would never see them again. I walked the ten minuted to my flat that was basically barren. All it had was two beds with sheets on them (one being the guest bed), a TV, kitchen stuff, a couch, three chairs, and books that I knew I would not need. I felt excited that night as I tried to fall asleep, I was finally doing something I wanted to do.
I woke the next morning an hour before having to arrive at the ship station. I dressed in my medical uniform, grabbed my satchel full of important things, and headed to my new home. I sauntered in and asked one of the mechs which vessel was Myrra. He pointedher out and I walked to her in awe; she was beautiful. She was medium size, runt of the litter, but had a lot of personality. Her coloring was a mix of reds and purples and I could feel how alive she was. I was so absorbed at looking and admiring Myrra that I didn't feel the a pack come up behind me.
"Rai?" Someone from behind me called unsure and I turned around startled. Almost immediately I was picked up in a hug and spun around. "RAI! It's been forever. You never told me you took this job." Deklyn's smiling blue eyes glittered down at me.
I smiled happily back, "I can't get rid of you can I?" I laughed.
He grinned, "Hell no."
"Deklyn." Zane warned and we noticed that we were getting stares.
We smiled and took a step back from each other. "Sorry." He muttered.
"No problem. So your the pack that I'm with?" I deliberately didn't say 'part of' since I knew pack's tended to Not allow regs into them.
"Yes ma'am."
I stuffed my hands into my pockets and turned back to Myrra. "Aint she a beauty?"
I could feel the rest of the pack slowly station themselves behind Deklyn and I as he replied, "Is that the Phoenix we're living on?"
"Yep..." I tapered off as I was drawn in by her, but shook it off and asked, "When are we suppose to be briefed? Or do you know about the mission already?" The question was directed more towards Zane than Deklyn.
"We should head over now." He replied curtly and turned to lead the way to the room.
Great, my relationship with the pack has devolved since a year ago. This was going to be fun...