Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Hesitant Knock

It was the day of the ship's full moon and the pack and I have been avoiding each other since my melt down a few days earlier. Not even Deklyn came by to see me, but I knew it was to give me space and recollect myself. I was working in the infirmary like usual when I got a hesitant knock on the door. I paused my music and turned to see someone I was not expecting. "Oh hello Rory."
"Hi." He replied shyly with his head bent so his auburn hair fell over his eyes.
"Come on in, please sit." I got up and offered him a chair. He scurried over and sat down across from me. "What is bothering you?" I asked concerned.
He looked up surprised and then replied, "It's about tonight."
"I'm happy you came to me, but shouldn't you talk to Zane about this?"
He shrugged, "It's my first time and I'm nervous."
"Ooh. Hold on." I got up and shut the door so we could talk privately. I left a note on it, informing those who approached to knock first. "What's making you nervous exactly?"
"Um well you know, ah..." He stammered.
"Do they know?"
"That I'm a hermaphrodite? No and that's making me even more nervous about shifting. I mean, it's my first full moon so I don't know how that's going to go since I can't control it. Now, I have to worry about the pack finding out I'm not exactly normal."
"Do you really think they won't accept you just because your a hermaphrodite?"
"Of course!" He cried. "Jasper and a few of the wolves already tease me for my nature and when they find out, they'll shun me." I could see how scared he was.
"You were teased before?"
He nodded sadly. "School was hell."
"Is that why you wanted to join a pack?" His cheeks lit up and I smiled, "I understand the pull to join one. You were there when I had my melt down."
"Yeah, you okay?" I nodded, I was doing better. "You're usually so smiley, I never would have thought you had all that pent up loneliness."
"I've gotten use to it, but enough of me right now, we are talking about you. Does Zane know?"
"Yeah, he seems to not care but he can't make the others like me."
"But he can make them leave you alone. You aren't an Omega and therefore they can't just rag on you. Plus, I know Deklyn won't care and will fend off anyone who tried to tease you or give you crap."
"But what about Lyla? She's my partner and if she can't stand it..."
"Lyla doesn't seem like the type to let it bother her for long and would treat you kindly. Put more faith in your pack, they'll stick by you no matter what. It's how pack works."
"They don't stick by you." He refuted.
I smiled kindly, "I'm not pack. I may be part of the unit, but I'm not pack."
"Sorry."
"It's okay, I've been aware of this for as long as I can remember. There's never been a pack with a human in it before, so I don't expect to be part of that." Rory nodded slowly but remained quiet. "If you're looking for my opinion this is it: I'd straight up tell them. It's better for you to tell them than have then get caught off or have someone else tell them." Before he could say anything, I reassured, "And no I would never tell anyone anything. If you doubt my approach, I'd talk to Zane about it, he'd know what to do."
"For someone who seems to not talk to him at all and appears to be fighting with him, you sure seem to trust him." His eyes widened as he realized what he said. "Sorry! I didn't mean it like that."
"It's fine." I chuckled. "I know he's not exactly happy with me, but I do trust his opinion on most things and he's your Alpha, you should trust him too."
"I guess. I'm just scared."
"I know, but remember this: Even if it gets weird, you still have me and Zane. So if it does get awkward, come on down and visit, I won't kick you out."
"Okay." He gave a small smile. "Thank you for everything. I should get going."
"No problem, thanks for stopping by." As he was leaving, I called him. "Wait, I have a question for you. Don't get your hopes up or anything."
"Okay, shoot."
"Um, well I was thinking of clearing out the study I was given and let the pack have it for a Den. Ya'll need one and I don't use the place, I mean I have here and my room what else do I need. Do you think Zane would be okay with it? Would the pack be okay with it?" I started playing with one of the styluses on the table, waiting for him to reply.
"I think it would be a great idea. You should definitely talk to him, I know I'd be at ease having a place to go to other than my room or the workout room."
"Okay, thank you. Send Zane in when you're done talking with him?" I smirked and he pouted a little.
"Fine. See yeah Rai." I waved and went back to work.
A while later I received another knock on the door. "Hi Zane." I greeted with an unsure smile.
He nodded a greeting and took a few steps in. "Rory said you wanted to ask me something."
"Yeah, um since I don't need the study, I was wondering if the pack wanted it. Use it as your Den or whatever you want."
He was silent as he thought, "Why are you doing this?"
Suspicion. "It's not fair that I have my room, infirmary, and the office when you guys only have your rooms. Plus, it isn't being used and I'm aware how important a Den is. Take it, please, or it'll go to waste."
"Alright, we'll get it ready tomorrow."
"Okay. How is everyone?"
He watched me with his piercing green eyes and replied, "They're okay. You don't need to worry about them."
"Fine, the doctor won't worry about her unit." I replied wryly.
"Rai." Zane rolled his eyes. The two of us remained quiet for sometime and then he quietly asked, "When did you realize we knew each other?"
I looked up and bit my lip, "Later into our mission, I think the second week. I knew you seemed familiar, but I didn't know right away."
"Why didn't you say anything?" His voice held a hint of hurt.
I played with my fingers, "I'm not the same girl I was when I was 15, the fact that you didn't recognize me is testimony to that."
"Still, after the pack was split up, I didn't know what happened to you or Jay. You could have at least told me about Jay."
"I couldn't Z. I don't think about what happened to him. The year he disappeared, I thought he left me too and I was angry and hurt. Then I found out that he died. I didn't tell you when it first happened because I didn't know what happened to you and I had to deal with losing my brother. I didn't tell you last time because we didn't really have time to talk about it. I'm sorry you had to find out about him the way you did, but I can't talk about it."
Zane came to stand next to me and leaned on the table I stood near. He looked down as he said, "He's really dead."
"He really is."
"Never thought I'd happen."
"Yeah, me either. Or at least not that soon..." We remained quiet, taking reassurance in each others company.