Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Taking Off Your Shirt

The local police force took the leaders into custody with little complaint from the criminals. Rory and Deklyn teased that it was because they were scared shitless of me, but I think they just learned their lesson. We stayed the night on the wolves side of town, though I was invited to stay with one of the humans. I declined the offer, wanting to stay with my unit on this planet I didn't know. And although I had helped a lot of the wolves, they were still unsure of how to react to me. I tried my best to get them to be comfortable around me, but the distrust of humans was so engraved into them it was virtually impossible.
The next day we headed back to the shuttle and flew to Myrra. Krynos greeted us and I went to visit him to tell him about our mission. "So how did the mission go, Miss Rai?"
"It went well. Zane, Trina, Lyla, Jasper, and Marco detained the rabble rousers, while Deklyn, Rory, and I made sure the hostages were okay. I guess the group SAPIENS don't like werewolves, so they kidnapped and tortured the wolves they captured. The building they were in had a self-destruct protocol which was activated so we had to jump out the window to safety."
"What floor were you on?" Krynos asked startled and concerned.
"The third, the wolves jumped but Deklyn picked me up and we went out together. So don't worry I'm not hurt. After the jump and the dust from the implosion settled, I counted out to make sure everyone was together then we went to the rendezvous point and waited for the others. It took a while but they arrived with a very loud leader whom was bad mouthing werewolf kind. So I told him to shut it, which he didn't and continued to use very inappropriate words and then I cut of the blood flow out of his brain." Krynos's eyes bugged out and I chuckled, "He didn't die, I made him agree to stop being a prick and then I released the blood that was pooling in his head."
"Then she proceeded to punch him for being rude to her." Rory chuckled as he entered the room.
"He deserved it." I pouted.
"Didn't say he didn't." He slung an arm around my shoulder. "Everything went smooth after that."
"Now the local police have them under arrest and will give them a trial. We spent the night with the wolves and then came back."
"Sounds eventful."
"It was in the beginning." Rory and I talked to Krynos for about an hour before going back upstairs to get some dinner.
A week later I was working in the infirmary when Zane walked in. "Hey Rai."
"Hi Zane, what's up?" I smiled as I turned to face him.
"My shoulder's been bothering me since we came back from Trinity. Mind looking at it?"
"Yes, I mind a lot." I replied with a straight face before crumbling into laughter. "Just kidding, come on down and sit on the table." He rolled his eyes teasingly as he took a seat. "Which shoulder?"
"Left." I nodded and started prodding around his scapula. The hard muscles of his back seemed fine until I hit a particular area which had a bump that shouldn't have been there.
"Hmm?" I continued to prod around the area and found the anomaly to be long instead of round. "Mind taking of your shirt for a moment?" He nodded and shedded his shirt. On further examination the area with the bump was raised. "I think you have something under your skin. Let me get the x-ray." I walked over to one of the drawers and found the portable machine. I scanned the area to find a piece of shrapnel lodged in his trapezius and rhomboideus muscles. "You sir, have a piece of metal lodged in your shoulder."
"How'd that happen?"
"I'm assuming when the building blew, a piece flew into your shoulder and your healing caused your skin to grow over it."
"I guess. What does this mean?"
"It means, I get to cut you open and pull the bugger out of you." I grinned as I put the x-ray away. "Now lay down please." Zane groaned, but laid down on the table. I shut the door, grabbed a face mask, and retrieved a table to place my equipment on. After washing my hands, I slipped on a pair of gloves and started cleaning the area I was going to perform the surgery on. "I'm sorry in advance if this hurts, I'm going to try to numb the area, but I don't know how long it'll last. Also, I need you to try and suspend your healing for as long as possible."
"I'll try."
"Just breathe." I applied the numbing agent over the skin and quickly began slicing into it. Zane tensed as I slide the blade deeper into the shoulder. "I need you to relax Zane, or it's going to hurt more and take longer to heal."
"I'll try." He bit out and his body's tension lessened.
"Thank you." I started humming 'Goodnight My Angel' and placed the scalpel on the table beside me. I picked up the tweezers and carefully clamped down on the metal. It was deeply embedded so it took me a few tries to pull it free from the muscle. "Okay, you can let your healing free to heal the wound."
"Thanks."
"Your welcome, but stay still until your shoulder is better. You don't want it to heal wrong." I turned away from Zane and started cleaning up. I sanitized the metal and stood before him. He looked up from his horizontal position as I showed him the souvenir. "This little guy is what caused you problems."
"Huh, the little bastard." I laughed aloud and looked at his shoulder.
"You should be fine now." He sat up and rotated his shoulder.
"That sucked. The numbing agent worked for all of two seconds."
"The pros and cons of being a werewolf." I grinned teasingly. "Want it or should I toss it?"
He took the metal from me and looked at it. "I'll take it. Am I good doctor?" he nudged me with his elbow.
"No more pain in the shoulder?"
"Nope."
"Well," I ran my fingers over the once open area and replied, "Your shoulder seems to have healed properly so off you go. Go be free my little friend!"
He looked at her skeptically and replied, "Little? I'm pretty sure I'm at least three inches taller than you."
"Technicalities."
Zane chuckled. "Later Rai."
"Bye Zane." I waved him off and finished cleaning up.