Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Dr. Mack Waters

I woke to my arm throbbing and a puffy cheek. I groaned, alerting Deklyn that I was awake, "You okay?" He whispered since Rory was still asleep. I looked down to find him now curled up in the crook of my legs.
"Yeah, my arm's just throbbing is all and my cheek is probably funny looking."
Deklyn looked at me and replied, "Naw, definitely swollen but not too bad looking. You're still gorgeous." He winked with a toothy smile.
"Thanks. And that's good. Any news from Zane?" I stretched my legs causing Rory to wake up. Without opening his eyes, he rolled on his back and stretched his body. "Morning sleepy head."
"Mornin'." He slurred.
Dekyln chuckled and then replied, "He popped in a little while ago. If you're up to it, Alpha Lapsyn and he want you to check Jenna out... something is not right with her." Deklyn shifted his gaze to Rory, "Zane also wants to talk to you when you're up."
"Okay." Rory nodded as he sat up.
"Well, can't stay in bed all afternoon, let's go find our Alpha." I got out of bed and put on some slippers; too much work to put on boots.
"Not going to change?" Deklyn asked.
I looked down at my pajamas and replied, "Hell no. I'm comfy and hurt, I deserve to wear nonuniform clothing for once. Now let's go find food so I can take painkillers, some ice for my cheek, and Zane." My two friends chuckled at me and then followed as I headed towards the dining hall. It was a little early for supper, so no one was in the hall when we entered. We ate quickly, I downed a few painkillers, and we headed to the two Alphas.
"We probably could have visited them first." Rory commented as we walked back down towards the living quarters.
"We could have, but in order to take painkillers you kinda need food in your stomach or you'll get sick. So food first and then the problem at hand."
"I'm so glad you have your priorities straight, Rai." Deklyn replied wryly.
"I always have my priorities straight." I shot back with a grin.
"Well, here we are." Deklyn knocked on the door and waited for an answer. Zane opened the door and stepped out into the hallway with us. His eyes immediately looked down at me and he took my chin in his fingers; eyes hovering between their natural green and the silver of an Alpha.
"Relax Zane, it's not as bad as it looks. Right now, it's mostly swollen." I said to him calmly and gently pried his fingers from my face. His face didn't change for a moment, and then he nodded and he was back to normal. "So what's up with Jenna?"
"We're not sure, she seems feral even though she has submitted to Alpha Leanne." He seemed perplexed by her behavior.
"You are sure she submitted and not just submit?"
"Yes." I turned, startled by the sudden voice of Alpha Lapsyn. "She was fine until she came aboard here."
"Meant no disrespect, Alpha Lapsyn, just wanted to make sure. I can take a look at her."
"Is that a smart idea?" Zane asked unsure.
I shrugged, "As long as she's sedated, I can give her a more in depth physical. Have you noticed any differences in her lately other than her sudden change in behavior?"
Alpha Lapsyn paused for a few minutes and replied, "She's commented a few times about headaches and sensitivity to light...she's been clumsier lately and she has become fatigued halfway through exercises lately."
"Hmmm." My brow furrowed and nodded. "Alright, if you don't mind sedating and bringing her to the infirmary, I can see what's wrong with her." My unit seemed about to object when I added, "Leave one unit member from each pack and they can make sure Jenna and I don't get hurt. Fair?" Alpha Lapsyn and Zane both reluctantly agreed and with a nod I headed to the infirmary.
As I waited, I cleaned up a bit more, took out some equipment I would need, and played some music on low.

Dedicato a chi colpevole o innocente
perso in questo mare
si e arreso alla corrente
chi non e mai stato vincente?
Dedicato a chi ha sempre una speranza
davanti ad un dolore
nel freddo di una stanza
Dedicato a chi cerca la sua liberta
Canto alla vita
alla sua bellezza
ad ogni sua ferita
ogni sua bellezza
I sing to life and to it's tragic beauty
To pain and to strife, but all that dances through me
The rise and the fall; i've lived through it all
Dedicato a chi l'ha sempre inaridita
come impossessato, uscita fra le dita
era sempre gia finita
Canto alla vita
negli occhi tuoi riflessa
facile e infinita
terra a noi promessa
Canto alla vita
("Dr. Rai, Where should I put Theta Jenna?" Theta Corcoran asked.)
canto a dolce e fiera
a questo nostro viaggio
("On the table please." I replied.)
che ancora ci incatena
Ci chiama
("Yes ma'am." He gingerly placed her on the examination table.)
Non dubitare mai
Non dubitare mai
("You are to stay in here while I give her an exam?")
Non lasciarla mai da sola
da sola
("Yes ma'am." He replied with a nod.)
... ancora ...
Canto alla vita
alla sua bellezza
(I nodded and turned to see Killian enter, "My other guest?" He merely nodded and stood off to the side.)
Canto alla vita
canto a dolce e fiera
a questo nostro viaggio
che ancora ci incatena
Ci chiama...

After making sure I had everything I needed and sterilized my hands, I began the exam. First, I did a regular physical. I checked her pulse, temperature, eyes, heartbeat, etc and only found her eye reaction a little strange. The symptoms that Alpha Lapsyn told me bothered me so I did a full scan of her brain. At first I didn't see anything, but once I ran the scanner over her frontal lobe I saw what what was making her so erratic.
I instantly snapped a shot and sent it to a friend of mine who was a surgeon. Aloud I commanded, "Comm, call Dr. Mack Waters." The two wolves took a step forward, but I shook my head.
"Hello?" A groggy voice answered.
"Hey Mack, it's Rai."
"Rai, you know it's 3:20 in the morning on my planet?"He asked a little irritated.
"Sorry about that M, but I need you to look at something. I already sent the image to your tablet."
"Yeah, hold on." I heard shuffling as I waited for her to retrieve her tablet.
"Alright, let's see... Holy shit. That is a huge tumor, I mean really bad and it does not appear benign."
"I feared as much. What can you tell me?"
"Can you do more of a scan please and send me the live feed."
"Will do." I connected the comm to the scanner and continued scanning Jenna's brain.
"That tumor has either been growing for a long time or something triggered it to suddenly grow rapidly."
"Is there anything I can do?"
Mack's end was silent, until he said, "Where is the closest hospital?"
"At least half a week, at most a week. However, even if we reach the planet we won't be able to get her to the hospital until we stop the hostiles."
"I fear you don't have that kind of time. If you wait too long, the tumor will be too far along if you know what I mean."
I bit my lip as I asked, "What should I do?"
"I'd suggest doing the surgery as soon as possible."
I leaned on a table with my forehead resting on my hands, "She's a werewolf M."
"Shit."
"Yeah. Are there any that'll work for a surgery such as this?"
I heard him sigh into the comm unit. "What medicines do you have?" I looked through the cabinets and rattles off every type of medicine I had on ship. "We're going to have to make a very strong cocktail that... may kill her."
"I'll have to talk to Jenna's Alpha first. I can't make that kind of decision."
"Call me at a more decent hour and tell me your decision."
"Okay, thanks M. Sorry for waking you."
"It's fine, just don't make it a habit." He chuckled and then ended the call.
A tense silence fell over the infirmary and Killian was the one to finally shatter it. "Rai, what is going on?"
I looked up and replied, "I need to talk to Alpha Lapsyn... Now."
♠ ♠ ♠
Canto Alla Vite- Josh Groban
So again maybe only one update this week because I have a lab exam on Tues and I'm dressing for a play so wicked busy this week. Enjoy!