Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

I was Afriad You'd Died

After helping Kyle, I was asked to look at the wounded that had accumulated over the course of the fight. I agreed but only on the condition that they didn't mistreat their prisoners even if they were regs. Needing me more out weighed their dislike of their prisoners, so they readily agreed and I went to work. The 'hospital' was a mess and within seconds of stepping inside, I started ordering the wolves to fix the place up. Some begrudgingly listened to me, not trusting me since I was human. But by the end of the week, most had come to like me and were readily willing to do anything I asked of them. Since I was spending so much time with the enemy, I ended up giving most of them a check-up; something they hadn't had in a while. Except for bruises and minor injuries, most were fine.
It was a week and a half into my kidnapping, that the compound received word that their side had surrendered and peaceful negotiations were about to begin. Within the hour a regiment of soldiers were going to come in, release the prisoners, and take over the compound. I suggested that the wolves should be waiting for the government soldiers so they could take them to the prisoners and show the soldiers that they meant them no harm. After a small amount of discussion they agreed and the compound was made ready for the other side to take over.
The soldiers arrived as I was examining a wolf that had taken shrapnel to the head. I feared that the woman's motor skills were going to be messed up, but so far she was doing fine. I was finishing up her exam when Sid came in and called to me.
"Rai, this unit's here to pick you up." I turned my head to see familiar blue eyes.
I smiled and waved, "Give me like two minutes and I'll be ready." Sid nodded and the unit behind him started to do a twitchy dance. I chuckled and looked back at my patient. "Alright do as I say. Touch your right index finger to your nose while looking straight ahead... good, now left... okay arms out, focus on a spot on the ground, and lift your right leg... other leg hon." I chuckled and so did she. "Excellent. Now switch feet. Final test, walk in a straight line putting one foot in front of the other... great. You're all done." I jotted down some notes and looked back at the young wolf. "You're fine, with the exception of your left eye everything else is working as it should be."
"Thanks Rai." She grinned. "It's been great having you here! See you around." She waved and walked slowly over the second unit that had arrived and surrendered herself to them.
Seconds after she started walking, I was picked up and spun around. "AAAAH!" I cried out in surprise.
"Rai! You scared the shit out of us." Rory put me down and hugged me. "Holy shit, we thought we'd lost you."
"Nope, I'm right here." I hugged back.
"Only you would make us wait so you could finish up an exam on the enemy." Zane shook his head but had a grin on his face. "Nice to have you back Rai." He hugged me and then stepped back. Most of the unit hugged me and said something about them being glad I was okay and such. The one who surprised me was Deklyn; he hadn't come near me.
I cocked my head and walked over to him since he had separated himself a little from the group. "Dek, what's wrong?" His head was bent so I couldn't see his face. He muttered something, but I couldn't make it out. "What?"
Suddenly I was pulled into his chest and he sobbed into my neck. "I'm so sorry Rai. I shouldn't have lost sight of you. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I was afraid you'd died." He repeated over and over as his knees went weak and we ended up kneeling.
"It's okay Dek, I'm right here. Shhh." I stroked his hair and back. "You can't kill me that easily, remember only the good die young."
He pulled away from me and scowled, "You are good, whoever tells you otherwise don't know anything."
I chuckled, "If you say so. Say that to the doctors I've worked with and they'll have you committed. Come on." I stood and offered my hand, "Plus, I'm biased. I like wolves, humans... not so much. I'm not good."
"I think you have an entire compound that thinks otherwise." Zane commented and jerked his head to the door. I looked over to see a large group of wolves waiting patiently. "Yes?" He asked them.
"Would it be okay if we say bye to Rai before we go?" Steve asked for the group.
Normally wolves wouldn't exactly agreed to these terms because Saying good bye would mean hugging and I was part of Zane's unit. Zane thought a moment and then nodded, "Fine, but quickly."
"Thank you." Steve nodded and I walked over to the group. I was quickly engulfed by the group and laughed as I was hugged and high fived. I knew that my unit stood close by just in case something happened, but I wasn't too worried about one of them attacking me. The last two I said farewell to was Kyle and Sid.
"Thanks wolf eyes for saving me. If it wasn't for you, I'd never have survived." He hugged me tight. "If you ever need a friend, know you'll find sanctuary and allies here."
I smiled and replied, "Thank you. Stay strong and know not all humans are dickheads." Kyle laughed and stepped back.
Sid took a moment before lifting his head, "Thank you for saving my mate. As Kyle said, if you ever need allies, know that we will always back you up."
I grinned, "Always and thank you." I gripped his forearm and gave it a firm shake. "I'll see ya'll around. It was nice meeting you all, farewell for now." I waved and walked over to my unit. "Ready to go?"
"Move out." Zane called and we escorted the 'enemy' wolves out of the compound and to the prisoner camp.
"Zane?" He looked down at me and then up. "Are they going to be okay here?" I asked as we entered the place the 'enemy' would be processed.
"Hopefully. Alpha Lapsyn is in charge of this compound and although they are the enemy, she will be fair to them."
"I hope so..."
"Don't worry too much, they'll be fine."
"But they're wolves, when have they ever been treated fairly?" I knew my face went blank and I stopped emitting my emotions.
"Since Alpha Leanne is the head of this place. As you said, they are wolves, she won't let anything happen to them." He patted my head reassuringly.
"Wolf eyes, we'll be fine." I turned my head to see Kyle on the other side of the fence. "We're survivors and fighters." He shouted with a smirk.
I playfully glared back. "You better be telling the truth or I'll give you a shot with that yellow shit again." Kyle paled and his eyes twitched.
"Like hell you will!" Sid yelled causing me and Kyle to deteriorate into laughter.
"Rai we gotta go." Deklyn tapped my shouter.
I nodded and turned back to the two wolves. "I'll see you later." I waved and started after Deklyn.
"Wolf eyes, keep smiling. Your face was made for it!" Kyle shouted before he turned and followed after Sid. I looked after him startled, but quickly shook my head and caught up to my unit.
"Wolf eyes?" Rory asked.
"Yeah." My cheeks darkened a little and I bent my head down. "My contacts slipped when I was saving Kyle so I had to put my glasses on. When I looked up he noticed my heterochromia and from then on nicknamed me wolf eyes because of their coloring."
"You always make friends with the most interesting people."
"You're telling me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Deklyn will never let Rai out of his sight again I think after this little event.