Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Long Emotional Day

Dinner finally finished and we were required to smooze some more and talk about how the mission had fared. By the end of two hours of talking about my experience as a W Unit member, I was finally able to slip away.
"Please hide me for like ten minutes." I begged Deklyn and the other members of my unit.
He chuckled and replied, "Had enough?"
"Yeeees." I groaned. I peaked out from around Deklyn's shoulder to see the floor full of people dancing. "Why aren't any of you dancing?"
"What do you mean?"
"Don't any of you want to dance? Why aren't you?"
"We aren't allowed to until someone asks us." Zane replied as he looked behind himself at the dance floor.
"That's dumb." I huffed.
"We're wolves Rai, you must stop forgetting that." He smiled down kindly.
"Do any of you like dancing?" The pack looked a little uncomfortable as most said they did, while Marco and Trina shook their heads. "So if one of you are asked, does that mean all of you are allowed to or does each person have to wait to be asked?"
Zane furrowed his brows and replied carefully, "Once the first wolf is asked then wolves can enter the dance floor. Being asked to dance by a human is kind of an equivalent to granting permission for a pack to enter one's territory."
"Huh, we're more similar than most think." I thought aloud without meaning to. I caught the eyes of some men across the way who grinned at me. I shivered and looked to Zane, "Come dance with me. Dek, hold this." I took off my shawl and handed it to Deklyn before grabbed Zane's hand and starting towards the dance floor as a new song was about to begin.
"Rai." He called in a warning voice and resisted a little as we walked. "What are you doing?"
"I'm granting you all permission to dance, it's so stupid you need it. It's just dancing for crying out loud. Plus," I smiled as we positioned ourselves for the dance. "I don't want to dance with any of the creepy guys staring at me." Zane shook his head in defeat as the music started and we began to dance. "You do know how to dance right?" I grinned teasingly.
"I was friends with your brother, of course I know how to dance." He replied wryly and I laughed.
"You are going to make even less friends now Rai."
I shrugged as he spun me out and then brought me back in. "I'd rather have friends who like me for who I am and not because I play by the rules that are just prejudice. Is it really that surprising that I Dr. Rai Night, a wolf lover invited a wolf to dance?"
Zane sighed, "You're just making your life harder."
"It can't get much harder than it already has been." I whispered and looked down. I quickly shrugged off the depressing feeling and smiled again, "The perfect song right now would be Riot by Breaking Benjamin. Let's start a riot, a riot, let's start a riot, a riot." I sang quietly.
"Let's not, or they'll send a W Unit after us." He grinned down at me.
"You mean they'd send us, since that's our job and all." Zane rolled his eyes, spun me one last time and then the song ended. I caught my sister shaking her head disapprovingly. "Oops, my sister's unhappy."
"I wonder why?" Zane asked sarcastically as we walked over to our unit.
"Well, that was fun." I smiled.
"Maybe, but a lot of people aren't happy with you Rai." Killian said as he swept his eyes over the crowd.
"They'll have to suck it up."
"Ally, may I steal you for a moment?" Kay asked as she approached our group.
"Sure. See you guys." I smiled and took back my shawl. We walked out onto the small balcony where the wind was gently blowing but it wasn't too cold. "What's up?"
She looked at me sternly, "What are you doing Ally-Rai? Are you trying to cause trouble?"
I looked at her confused, "No, if I was going to do that it'd be pretty blatantly obvious. All I did was ask Zane to dance."
"And he's a wolf! You need to think before you act." She shook her head causing me to scowl.
"What is so wrong with wanting to dance with my friend? I don't know anyone in that room except my unit and you. Even then I barely know you." I looked away whispered the last part. I wasn't going to take it away because we both know it to be true; we'd both changed so much.
Kay flinch and looked down. "You were never like this Ally. You were friends to wolves, but you would have never done what you did tonight."
"I grew up. I've seen the good and bad in life and decided that I don't give a fuck what people think. I want to dance with my friends who I truly believe deserve to be able to dance if they fucking want to. After everything they've done for this government, the least people can do is let them dance if they wish too."
"You may believe that, but the people in there do not."
"What about you, what do you think?"
Kay was silent a minute, "I think you should stop causing trouble or one day you'll turn around to find yourself cornered with no allies."
I snorted, "I have allies, they're just ones that the government don't see as 'people.'" I sighed, "Humanity never learns."
"We aren't perfect."
"I'm well aware."
Kay looked frustrated with me, like I was too young to understand the workings of the world. "You speak as if you are the only one who has seen tragedy in life. Maybe some of those people don't like wolves because a wolf hurt them or a loved one. You should look through someone else's eyes for once Ally and not only through your own." She turned to leave. I felt like I'd been slapped in the face. "You coming?"
I shook my head and listened to her leave. "My view may be limited, but it is you who is blind." I suddenly grew tired and slowly slid down so I was sitting on the ground. I knew Kay and I had a long way to go before we could even think about being close like we once were, but I was beginning to think it may virtually be impossible for us to get past some of our differences. She was saved by the government, while I... I wasn't.
"Rai, you okay?" Deklyn asked as he squatted in front of me.
"I'm tired... I want to go home."
Deklyn's face softened as he looked at me. "You want me to bring you to where we're staying for the night?" Deklyn stroked my cheek with his fingers.
"Yes, please. I'm tired of being around these people.
"Alright." He smiled kindly at me, "I'll go tell Zane and we can leave."
"Thanks Dek, you're the best."
"I try." He grinned and got up. "I'll be right back." While he was gone, I turned my head so watch the business down below in the city. It was so alive and I wished I was down there with them; I hated parties such as these. With a sigh, I got up and went back inside to see what was going on. I knew I had to take Some responsibility for my actions, so I wanted to make sure everything was okay. I smiled when I saw a few wolves dancing (especially Rory and Lyla) and that no problems were in sight.
"You ready?" Deklyn asked right as he slipped to my side.
I looked over at him and smiled, "Just want to say good-bye so no one thinks you stole me." Deklyn chuckled as we walked over to where Kay was. I waited patiently for the group to acknowledge me.
"Ally." Kay smiled.
"I just wanted to say thank you for inviting me and I hope the mission went better than you thought." I bowed to the Colonel.
"Are you leaving my dear?" He asked.
"Yes, I have grown quite tired. I think I may have space lag." I laughed.
"Space can mess with your sleep schedule." He laughed. "I hope to see you again Dr. Night, it was a pleasure to meet you and your unit." He offered his hand.
"You too, I hope we meet again." I placed my hand in his and he kissed my knuckles.
"Whoever says chivalry is dead has yet to meet me." His eyes twinkled with mischief.
I couldn't help but laugh; he was genuinely a nice person. "I will make sure to correct anyone who says otherwise."
"Good." The Colonel straightened and offered his hand to Deklyn. "It was nice meeting you Theta Ward. Make sure she gets home safely."
"I will sir." Deklyn shook his hand firmly.
"Excellent. Good night."
"Good night." I saluted to everyone and turned to leave. I waved farewell to my unit and ascended the stairs to leave. Right as we got out Kay called to me.
"Ally-Rai, wait." She quickly caught up to us, panting a little. "Will I be able to see you before you go?"
I looked to Deklyn and nodded, "Perhaps for a little while."
"Okay, where are you staying so I can return you clothes?" Deklyn told her and she nodded before heading back to the party.
"You sure you're alright?" He asked with concern as we entered the barracks.
"Yeah, it's just been a long emotional day. Mind unzipping me a bit?"
"Sure." He unzipped just enough so I could do the rest and he turned so we both could change. Once I was in comfortable clothes, I climbed into the top bunk while Deklyn took the bottom. He didn't climb into bed right away, instead folding his arms on the edge of mine and resting his head on them. "What's going on in that head of yours?"
"Just a jumbled of emotions. I haven't seen Kay in almost ten years and now I'm borrowing a dress from her so we could attend a party together... I realized how much we've both changed and missed. I hardly know her..."
Deklyn petted my head, "Well, now that you know where she is, you can keep in contact and get to know each other again."
"I just hope our personal beliefs don't hinder our potential relationship."
"What do you mean?"
"She believes in the government, supports them now matter what... I... I don't. She sees it as infallible, I can never see it as anything but fallible."
"But you're still sisters, that's gotta be stronger than her siding with the government."
"Is it? I've seen the government destroy families... is our relationship really that strong?"
I knew he could see the pleading in my eyes. He didn't answer right away, figuring out if he really believed that my sister and I were stronger than what I feared. Finally he answered, "Yes, I do believe you two have and will have a strong relationship."
"I hope you're right." I hid my face in my arms as I whispered, "I can't lose anyone else... I can't lose her after finally finding her again."
"Rai." Deklyn replied sadly, "Come on, let's cuddle until you fall asleep. You definitely can't be alone tonight." He smiled kindly at me; I wanted to cry. Like a child, I nodded and climbed down to his bed where we remained quiet and I fell asleep to his heart beat. The rest of the unit came back to us asleep; him holding me protectively, me holding on to his shirt for dear life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Today's chapter goes well with Riot and I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin I think.
Awe the vulnerable side of Rai.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=74435672 -bedtime