Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Resting Heartbeat

We got the message two sleep cycles from Xenon; we were to gather in the Cyclopes Galaxy. After over a year of collecting information on Evigilantem, we were finally preparing to attack. The entire ship stopped what they were doing as they stood and listened to the leaders of the government issue us our commands. I looked over at Deklyn who also shared the 'Holy shit this is actually happening' look I knew I was sporting.
A few minutes after the message ended, Deklyn let out an humorless laugh, "Rai, your heart is racing."
I gave him a light scowl and threw gauze at him, "I bet yours is too."
He looked down, "Yeah, it is." I gave a smile and walked over to hug him. We stayed in each other's embrace for well over two minutes before separating and getting back to work. The atmosphere on Myrra quickly turned thick with the anticipation of meeting up with everyone and initiating the battle.
That night I woke from a nightmare to see Rory knocking at my door. Yawning, I hoisted myself up on my elbow. "Hey Rory, what's wrong?"
He looked down embarrassed, "Nightmares."
"Should I ask?" I patted the seat next to me and he scurried over.
He laid his head on my lap and explained, "I don't want to bother her. Lyla would get up with me, but it's not fair to make her do that. I'll be up for a while..." He dropped off, not wanting to finish.
"I understand, we're a pair you and I."
"Does Dek have nightmares often?"
I thought back, "Hasn't for a while. I think he's finally accepted and moved on from his experience."
"I'm jealous, wish I could."
I stoked his hair as I replied, "You're getting better. They aren't as frequent as they use to."
"Same could be said for you." Rory grinned up at me.
"Yeah, it's nice until one pops up on you."
"True true." We sat in a comfortable silence for a while, until Rory asked, "What should we do now? We got all night."
"We do." I hummed until an idea stuck me, "Bake and sing?"
"Yes please!" Rory bolted up and ran to meet me in the kitchen. I laughed at his retreating form as I grabbed my slippers and music player.
Once in the kitchen I asked, "What do you want to make?"
"Hmm, cake and cookies!"
"Alright, get the ingredients and I'll find music." Rory nodded and started rifling through the drawers and cabinets to find everything. I searched until I found Fat Lip by Sum 41.
"What kind of cookies are we making?" I asked, rounding the counter to stand next to him.
"I was thinking chocolate chip because everyone loves chocolate chip cookies." His excitment reminded me of my niece and nephew whenever I was able to talk to them.
"Alright, let's do this!" Together we baked four dozen cookies and one very large cake. Since we couldn't sleep and we had nothing better to do, we made four layers and placed them on top of each other; not tiering it. We laughed as we carefully stacked them and 'glued' them together with homemade frosting.
It was around 6 am OET when we finally finished and grinned at our work. "The unit will sure love us after this." I bumped my shoulder into Rory's.
"Yeah they will. Then again they will probably go crazy from a sugar high."
"Zane's gunna hate us for this."
"Most likely."
"Maybe we should hide some."
Rory raised an eyebrow at me, "We're wolves Rai, they'll sniff them out."
"Good point. Oh well, sorry Zane." I stretched and yawned. "Iz sleepy now."
Following suite, Rory also yawned, "Same. Clean up and go to sleep?"
"I'm game." We quickly wiped down the counters and let the baking pans, bowls, and utensils soak. Once finished, we dragged our feet back to my room where I flopped on my bed. "You staying?" I mumbled tiredly.
"Too much effort to leave now." He replied as he face planted next to me. We didn't bother to move, but instead fell asleep half on the bed and half off.

~3rd POV~
Lyla woke up alone. She groped the spot next to her, only to find the sheets cool to the touch. Pouting, she cracked her eyes open and turned her head to face Rory's side of the bed. She frowned when she found her boyfriend missing and sat up. She looked around, but found no evidence of him being in the room. Stretching off the sleep, she got up and followed the sound of his resting heartbeat.
"Lyla." She turned to see Zane exiting his room.
"Hello Zane." She greeted.
"Where's Rory?" They usually walked to the dining hall together.
"I don't know, I was going to find him." Zane raised a brow. "He wasn't in the room when I woke up and his side is cold. He must have left sometime during the night." Zane nodded, understanding.
"Let me know if you can't find him."
"Will do." Lyla and Zane parted way as she continued to look for Rory. His calm heartbeat grew louder the farther she walked down the hall. She was only mildly surprised to find her boyfriend in Rai's room. Lyla shook her head at the ridiculousness that were her friends.
She walked in and gently tapped Rory's shoulder. "Rory." He made a noise but didn't open his eyes. "Rory why are you in here?" She wasn't mad, she trusted Rory. She was more curious than anything.
"Nightmare, wanted to let you sleep." He mumbled, sleep heavy in his voice.
"But why are you in here?" She asked patiently.
"Rai had nightmare. We stayed up. Baked..." He trailed off as his breathing got deeper with sleep.
"One more thing, what time did you go to bed?" Lyla ran her fingers through his hair, causing him to try and nuzzle her hand.
"Sixish or something."
"Okay, get some more rest." She stood up but then thought, "At least get on the bed, that can't be comfortable." Rory made another throaty noise as he inched himself onto the bed so he laid across it. Once he was taken care of, Lyla gently nudged Rai. "Rai, move up so you don't have a sore back." Unconsciously, Rai pulled herself further onto the bed and then curled into a ball.
Lyla smiled at her friends and walked to the dining hall to eat. She was pleasantly surprised to see an array of treats waiting for the pack. "Hmmm, cookies." She purred, snatching two from a plate.
"Don't eat too much." Zane warned, unhappy with the amount of sugar present.
"Come on Zane, we rarely have junk food." Trina pouted at her Alpha.
"I don't care, I don't need you all to be hyped up on sugar. Especially you Deklyn." Zane glared at the young man as he stuffed his face with yet another cookie.
"Whaat?" Deklyn tried to ask, but failed as crumbs fell out of his mouth.
Zane shook his head at his beta and turned back to Lyla, "Should I assume Rory and Rai baked these?"
"Yeah, apparently they both had nightmares last night and stayed up baking. Rory said they didn't fall back to sleep until about six."
"Okay, thank you." Lyla nodded. No one would wake the two until they were ready.
♠ ♠ ♠
Off to Xenon next chapter, yay!