Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

You Should Not Cover Your Eyes

I was leaning back in my chair with the last written file in front of me, trying desperately to decipher the doctor's handwriting when I received a knock at the door. I lowered the file and looked up to see Zane waiting patiently for me to grant him access to the room. "Hello, come on in." I smiled and placed the file on the desk beside me. "What's up?"
He walked in so he was in front of me and replied, "The pilot has informed me that we will be landing on Xenon in two days." His brows furrowed as he stared me in the eyes.
"Thank you. Is um, something wrong?" I was beginning to think I had food on my face or a smudge of toothpaste on my mouth.
"You have interesting eyes. I've only met two other people with a gold and grey eye. How did I not notice them before?" It seemed to annoy him that such an unimportant detail went unnoticed.
"Oh, you scared me there for a moment. And I wear contacts." I took off my glasses and looked at them. "The right one's clear, but the left one is colored grey to match my right. But I felt particularly lazy today and skipped putting them in."
"Why would you want to hide the color of your left eye?"
I started to twist my chair left to right as I explained, "People get freaked out by my eyes being two different colors and it's even stranger for them to be grey and gold. People don't like me as it is, I'd rather them get to know me first being automatically deciding I'm a freak and want nothing to do with me." My earpiece bleeped and my hand went to press the talk button. "Oh excuse me a moment. Hello?... Okay... Yep, I'll be down in a minute... Bye. Sorry about that, I have to go down and check out the engine, make sure it's ready for when we land." I got up and grabbed my mech bag. "Do you need anything else?"
He shook his head. "No ma'am."
"Please, call me Rai. I'll see you around." I smiled and began to walk out the door.
"You should not cover your eyes, it makes it harder for us to read you." Something pinged in me, and it made me realize that I had met Zane when I was younger. Back when Jay was still around.
I smiled sadly at him and replied, "I'm human Zane, they don't trust me already. Exposing my two different colored eyes won't change that. Later." I walked out and ventured down to the engine room where I met the other mechanic. Together we inspected everything and fixed whatever needed to be, which wasn't much. Around dinner we finished and head up to the dining hall. I sat with the other humans, but felt the unwelcome the moment I took a seat. They talked amongst themselves, but never to me. I understood that I was kinda mean to the doctors, but I hadn't done anything to the mech, pilot, co-pilot, and the few other people that worked on the ship. The way the mech and I got along down in the engine room, I thought he would at least have a small conversation with me, but the moment we sat, he went quiet and ignored me. I got it, I really did. To them, I allied myself with the wolves which out-casted me automatically and whoever talked to me would soon feel the same cold shoulder as I. To be in space and have no friends was lonely and almost unbearable, so follow the crowd and don't talk to a wolf lover.
I sighed and got up with my tray of food. Without looking at my fellow coworkers, I headed out the door. I bumped into Deklyn who was just entering to eat. "Rai!" He greeted with a smile. "Where are you going?" He cocked his head as he noticed my tray.
"The infirmary."
"Why? You haven't finished your dinner."
"It's okay, I'll eat there."
"No, come sit with us." He smiled happily.
I knew that wouldn't go over well and shook my head. "I'm on my last file and would like to finish it before we leave. Maybe next time." I walked out, once again feeling eyes on my back.
~<3rd POV>~
Deklyn stood dumbfounded and unsure of what to do as he watched Rai's retreating form. Should he go after her or leave her be? She could hide her emotions well, but he caught a small trace of loneliness as she passed him. He shifted in placed a second longer, before shaking his head, getting a tray of food, and sitting with his pack. His brow was knitted together as he stared intensely at his food and played with it; his mind miles away.
"Alright I can't take it anymore! Would you stop!" Cion snapped at Deklyn. The pack stopped eating and Deklyn jumped in his seat.
"Stop what?" He asked.
"You look at her and follow her around like a fucken puppy! It's sickening, especially from a wolf! She's nothing but a human, you don't owe her anything." He growled lowly at the man across from him.
Deklyn bowed his head and whispered, "But I do owe her."
"For what?" Cion sneered, "Talking to you. Whoo hooo."
"No, she saved me." Deklyn looked up to find everyone's eyes now on him, even his Alpha's. "When I was turned, the doctors waited a week and a half before assigning me an Alpha. I was going insane, my wolf and I weren't able to sync up and Rai," He gestured towards the door, "Was the doctor to finally end my misery. She burst into my room, tranqed me because I was about to attack her, and as I laid in her lap, she looked through units until she found ours. She even yelled at my attending doctor for not assigning me an Alpha sooner. So yeah, I do owe her a lot." He narrowed his blue eyes at Cion, challenging him to diss her in any way.
Cion shifted uncomfortably, but unable to back down from a fight he scoffed, "Well, it's not like she always needs you around. I mean she has the Humans to talk to."
"Actually," The mech Rai works with stopped at their table on his way out. The other humans had already left and it was safe for him to talk with the wolves, even though it made him a little uncomfortable. "She has no friends on this ship, everyone hates her. She's notorious for being harsh with people who treat wolves like shit, so she's known as a wolf lover and is immediately shunned."
"What about you?" Zane asked.
The mech's faced went red as he replied, "She's nice, I work with her in the engine room, but to be shunned while in space would be unbearably lonely and I may never find work again if I associate with her. She's able to pull off the shit she does because she willingly works with the newly turned, I however am one of millions in my field. I'd be lucky to work at a 3rd rate junk yard. Don't look at me like that." He scowled at Deklyn. "Having a black mark would do me know good, and she is well aware of her rep. I know I'm low for going along with the others, but she already cleared me of my actions. Don't think I'm proud of what I'm doing, cuz I'm not. We all need to eat, and I have five others to feed." He whispered the latter sentence as he left the dining hall.
The table was quiet until Cion muttered, "I still don't trust her. She has too many walls to the point that I can't read her. I won't trust anyone who I can't read, even just a little." The others had to agree, how do they know she wasn't just building them up only to let them crash down. Deklyn shook his head and got up, not hungry anymore.
"Deklyn?" Zane asked.
"I'm going to see Rai, maybe I can help her with her last file." He left before he could hear Cion complain anymore about him following her around like a lost puppy.