Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Wolf Mentality

We walked to the Den we hadn't been to in years. "It's weird coming back here, don't you think?" Deklyn commented aloud as we inched closer to our kinda allies.
"A little. I just hope Josiah is still Alpha." I replied. On a planet such as this, Alphas could change over a dozen times and we would never know.
"So how do you know these wolves?" Rory asked.
I opened my mouth to answer when Zane held up his arm and we all froze. All the wolves around me put there hands up and bend down in a nonthreatening way. I mimicked their actions and waited to see what was going on, though I had a good idea what it was.
A tall woman walked out from the brush and with shining amber eyes asked, "What's a government pack doing on our planet?" Her voice held authority.
Straightening up, Zane replied, "We are here to speak with Alpha Josiah Bonebreaker."
The woman looked Zane over before answering, "And how do you Alpha Josiah?" She crossed her arms and waited.
"We met him a few years ago on a mission and it is urgent that we speak with him."
The woman went to open her mouth when she closed it and shifted her head slightly to the side as if she were listening to something. She flicked her eyes over everyone until she landed on me. Her lips moved quickly but silently as she communicated with someone. Once finished, she straightened up and said, "Come." She turned her back to us and walked on. I was surprised to see her do that since it was usually a really stupid move to turn your back on a wolf. But I also had an inkling that she had many wolves watching out for her and if we even looked like we'd attack, there'd be wolves on us faster than a blink. We walked until we came to the familiar Den from so long ago.
The woman snapped her fingers and five wolves appeared with blind folds. We looked at her questioningly and she replied as if the answer was obvious. "Don't want you knowing the layout."
"To be fair we kind of already know the layout unless you've changed it since we were last here." I thought aloud and received a growl from everyone. "Sorry." I muttered. The blindfold was still tied around my head as we were ushered through the compound. I counted silently in my head as we walked through the place. We ended up in the exactly same place as years before.
"That was not really necessary Kiara, I'm sure they already know where they are." A familiar voice rang through the room.
"Alpha Josiah." Zane nodded as our blindfolds were taken off.
"Hello Alpha Zane and Aldwin Pack." The man greeted as he walked towards us. Kiara stepped forward and he waved her off. "They won't hurt me, we've met before." His eyes landed on me and he gave a toothy grin, "Hello doctor."
"Hey Alpha Josiah, you're looking great." I smiled back.
"Yes, if I remember correctly the last time we parted I was on the ground about as useful as a newborn pup." He chuckled.
"A little more useful, you could technically still talk."
"Ah yes, but still useless in a fight."
"No offense, but kind of the point." I grinned and he shook his head. "There were no after effects were there?"
He shook his head. "No, after about an hour we were no longer paralyzed."
"Good." I sighed in relief. Everyone was looking at our interaction curiously.
"You weren't sure there wouldn't be?" He raised a brow.
"It was a relatively new reagent, but I had faith in it. I don't tend to use drugs that are too new, I want to know the long term after effects."
He nodded and then looked at the rest of the pack, "Where are my manners? Come, we were about to eat." We followed after him and lounged at a low table filled with different types of food.
"Expecting us?" Zane questioned the other Alpha to his left.
"I wonder." Alpha Josiah grinned and started to take food. Zane took next and from there the rest of us started to dig in. After a few minutes of quiet eating, Josiah turned to Zane and commented, "I see you have a new member and have lost one."
"Yes," Zane replied, "My Scout retired and we welcomed Rory as our new one. I see you have new members also."
"Yes, my pack was fortunate enough to welcome three more. Kiara is my Beta and mate."
"A pleasure to meet you." Zane inclined his head.
"And you." She mimicked the action. "I am sorry for how we treated you earlier. Precaution."
"Understandable."
"I am actually surprised you have a human in your pack." Kiara's eyes once again fell on me and she cocked her head slightly to the side.
I was about to say something when Zane replied, "We were fortunate enough to have her placed with the pack."
"We've heard a lot about the mysterious anomaly known as Dr. Aleara-Rain Night." I turned my head to look at Josiah. "I was curious to meet her. Imagine my surprise when I found out I had."
"Didn't think I was that well known." I replied.
"You are quite infamous Dr. Aleara-Rain."
"Please, just Rai." I smiled.
"So what made you volunteer to join a rag tag pack such as Alpha Zane's?" Josiah grinned good naturedly at Zane.
"I actually had no idea I would be joining Zane's unit. When I volunteered all I knew was I would be placed with a W Unit, no more information than that."
"Interesting."
"I thought so too, though I quite enjoy it. They can be a hand full, but I like 'em."
"I can tell." He leaned in and loudly whispered, "If you ever feel like leaving them, you are welcome to join my pack." He winked, causing me to laugh as Zane let out a low growl. "Relax Alpha Zane, I was not serious. I can tell she is important to you and your pack." The rest of the meal was spent in easy conversation and consumption of food.
It wasn't until after the meal and we were all lounging and digesting that Josiah looked at the unit and asked, "So what really brings you to Xenon and my pack?"
"We are gathering intel on a radical group that calls themselves Evigilantem or-"
Josiah cut Zane off, "The Awakening."
"So you've heard of them?"
"Yes, only tid bits, but yes. They have big plans to take down the little government of ours and... they're aware that the gov is collecting info on them." Josiah replied coolly.
"That must be why we are having even more trouble collecting intel." Killian commented.
"Most likely. The organization is made up of clever wolves."
"You know who the leader is?" Zane asked surprised.
Josiah shook his head, "Perhaps, but from what I can tell they have been eluding you well. Only a well organized and strategically clever group of people could grow so large and never be caught."
"Do you know how many are in the organization?"
"Thousands. I don't think they have reached hundreds of thousands, but they are closing in on that number."
I sat quietly impressed, this was a lot more information to gather than we had hope for. I looked at Josiah and asked, "Why didn't you join them?"
Everyone quieted and looked at me. "What do you mean?" Josiah asked with a quirked eyebrow.
"They came to you at some point and you don't exactly like the government. Why didn't you join them?"
Josiah sat quietly amused while everyone else tensed, "How do you know we didn't?"
I stared at his amused eyes for a little while before answering. "You may not be pleased with our 'wonderful' government, but they leave you alone most of the time so there isn't a real reason to join a side that wants to start war."
"Interesting hypothesis."
"And you don't know as much as a person who would be in."
"If I had joined, not say that I haven't, why would I tell you important details?"
"Because you would lull us into a false sense of security before apprehending us."
"Again interesting. So Rai, have my pack and I joined this so called radical group? We know a lot, we're a rebellious pack, and it would e fun to see the government toppled by wolves." He grinned widely.
Again the room filled with intensity. "No, you haven't joined." I replied confidently.
"Reason?"
"Gut feeling."
"Need a better reason than that Rai."
"I've come to trust my gut and it's a pretty sound feeling to trust. Wolves use it all the time, that sixth sense that tells them something is near even when you can't see or hear it."
"You are so fascinating." Josiah laughed, easing the tension filled room. "Your eyes seem to miss very little and you have come to adopt wolf mentality."
"Comes with working, coexisting and living with them honestly." I shrugged.
"How long have you really been up close and personal with wolves?"
I thought back, "Really got to understood them probably when my brother joined a W Unit. I've had friends here and there when I was a child but they didn't tend to last long." I didn't need to say aloud that it was frowned upon and discouraged to make friends with wolf children.
"Your brother joined a W Unit?" Josiah asked, his interest once again piqued. "Maybe I've heard of him."
"Jayce Night. He usually went by Jay though."
"Wait, you're Jay's little sister?" A stocky but muscular man asked, stepping out from the rest of his pack.
I nodded, "His youngest. You knew him?"
"Met him on a mission once. Nice, trustworthy guy, but he could have a temper at times." I chuckled, yet that was Jay. "What ever happened to him?"
Before I said anything, I knew the man smelled my sadness, "He died almost ten years ago."
"I'm sorry to hear that." He bowed his head. "He saved one of my unit's men on our mission. He was a good guy."
I smiled, "He was."
Silence once again fell until Josiah broke it, "Any other reason you have come to visit?"
"We were wondering if your pack would volunteer to fight on our side?" Zane replied.
"As Rai has pointed out, my pack and I don't fully... support our government." Josiah replied as he carefully chose his words. "However, I will let them volunteer to fight beside you on the condition that they do not split from your pack. You, Alpha Zane Aldwin, are the one I trust and have a... an alliance with, not the government. If you accept that term and look after them as if they were your own pack, then I have no qualm with them joining the fight."
Zane gave a sharp nod, "If any of your pack members wish to aid us in our mission, then they will be taken into my pack as tentative members and we will return them to you once the war is over."
"Very good." He turned his attention to his pack. "The government is going to war against the Evigilantem, if you wish to join the Aldwin Pack in this fight, you may. It is up to you." The pack looked at each other unsure.
Finally one by one, four members stood up and stepped forward. "We will aid them in their mission." One of the members was the man who knew Jay. The man looked over at me with a nod of recognition. I smiled and bowed my head in thanks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a while, I just got done with finals. Crazy! I'm officially done with my junior year of college >.<