Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

Become One with My Innards

Deklyn entered the barracks the unit was sharing and smiled at me and Rory, who was laying his head on my lap. "Hey Rai, sup Rory?"
"Hey Dek." I smiled. Rory raised a hand in greeting but didn't open his eyes or mouth.
"You two are the talk of the base." Deklyn grinned as he drew closer to us.
Rory groaned and turned so his face hid in my stomach while I replied, "Wonderful. Is Zane or anyone important mad?"
"What's his face's unit captain is kinda pissed, but other than that no."
"Well, that's good... I think. What's your thoughts?" I aimed at the man hiding like a child.
"He'll probably run to mummy and dad." I stoked his hair as he continued, "I don't really care about mummy finding out, but dad will make noise. He'll try to get me court martialed or something."
"I don't think they can do much. He attacked first and we have quite a few dozen people who witnessed the event."
"We're wolves Rai, they'll believe my brother over me or any other wolf."
"I'm sure some other G Unit members and tell the truth."
"We'll see..." Rory trailed off and tried to bury himself deeper into me.
"Hon, I don't think you can get any deeper. I have quite a few layers of skin and muscle protecting me from you burrowing into my stomach." Rory chuckled and he stopped trying to become one with my innards.
"So what's bothering you Rory? You shouldn't feel that bad, you were protecting Rai." Deklyn asked as he placed a hand on Rory's shoulder.
"I've never reacted like that before. I didn't even think when I attacked him... it was like I wasn't even myself anymore."
"Your wolf was protecting someone in our unit. You shouldn't feel scared of that. My wolf surfaces every time we're on a mission."
"But it was like I couldn't even control myself. When Rai told me to put my brother down, I couldn't. I wanted to, but my wolf was like hell no."
"Well... Rai is important to you and that includes your wolf. She's part of our pack and if she's in danger then your wolf will do anything to protect her. If it had been Lyla or Trina or me, I'm pretty sure you would have reacted the same way."
"I guess."
"Cheer up, sad Rory makes me sad." I pouted into his hair. "Thanks for saving me."
Rory finally turned so he was looking up at Deklyn and me. "I should be thanking you, even though if he had hit me I wouldn't have a cut." His fingers reached up and gently touched my bruised cheek. "I think you sometimes forget we can take more of beating than you and have healing superior to yours."
I smiled gently down at him, "Sometimes I think your ability to heal isn't that great. No one will ever know the the things you've experienced because your body holds little to know record of it. At least with me if I act crazy, some of my scars will show I've been through more shit than anyone would care to admit."
"Pros and cons of being a wolf." He grinned up at me.
"So true. We are going to look so ordinary when we're done being military people." Deklyn thought aloud.
"Then again your attitudes will show you've seen things no one else has." I patted his head and Deklyn smiled. We spent another hour hanging out before venturing out to find the cafeteria. Everyone whispered and tried to subtly stare as the three of us walked to our destination.
"Do you ever feel like you're being watched?" Deklyn whispered loudly so the people staring quickly looked away.
I whispered equally loud back, "Story of my life. I'm a human in a wolf unit, of course I get stares."
"I thought it was because you're solar awesome with a great bod." Rory grinned at me. I looked at him a minute before bursting out into laughter. How I loved my friends.

~~~
Three days later and I was walking around bored. An hour earlier everyone had been briefed on what was going to happen during the mission. I, of course, was going to be assigned to my unit and thirteen others who would be storming the planet Evigilantem used as a home base. Deklyn, Marco, and Killian would be my acting body guards while on planet. Deklyn would be right next to me while Marco and Killian would orbit around me. This was going to be fun...
The station was filled with tension and anxiety as everyone prepared for tomorrows mission. Packing and checking weapons and supplies could only keep one distracted for some time, so before long soldiers were walking around trying to burn off excess energy.
I walked down to one of the areas the soldiers were using as a place to hang out when I came across someone singing.

"Sea without a shore for the banished one unheard
He lightens the beacon light at the end of world
Showing the way, lighting hope in their hearts
The ones on their travels homeward from afar

This is for long forgotten light at the end of the world
Horizon crying the tears he left behind long ago"

Creeping closer, I found Marco quietly playing a guitar.

"The albatross is flying, making him daydream
The time before he became one of the world's unseen"

I joined in when he came to the duet part. He was mildly startled but smiled and continued singing.

"Princess in the tower, children in the fields
Life gave him it all an island of the universe

Oh, now his love's a memory, a ghost in the fog
He sets the sails one last time saying farewell to the world
Anchor to the water, seabed far below
Grass still in his feet and a smile beneath his brow

This is for long forgotten light at the end of the world
Horizon crying the tears we left behind long ago
So long ago, so long ago

This is for long forgotten light at the end of the world
Horizon crying the tears we left behind so long ago
So long ago"

We smiled at each other as he continued to play some cords randomly. "I didn't know you knew my songs." I grinned and gave him a light shove with my shoulder.
Barely budging, he replied, "Kind of hard not to when you have super hearing and you play music all the time."
I chuckled, "Love my old music!"
"Yeah, yeah. Song request?"
"Hmm, Do you know The Call?"
"Start singing and I can pick it up." He stopped playing and I nodded.
"It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word"

He got the gist of it and started playing along.

"And then that word grew louder and louder
Til it was a battle cry

I'll come back
When you call me
No need to say goodbye

Just because everything's changing
Doesn't mean it's never
Been this way before

All you can do is try to know
Who your friends are
As you head off to the war

Pick a star on the dark horizon
And follow the light

You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye

You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye

Now we're back to the beginning
It's just a feeling and no one knows yet
But just because they can't feel it too
Doesn't mean that you have to forget

Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
Til they're before your eyes

You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say good bye

You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say good bye"

I didn't realize we had drawn a crowd until I stopped singing and people started clapping. I jumped and looked down embarrassed. "Ah thanks."
"Do you mind if I make a request?" A young G Unit member asked shyly.
"Sure." Marco nodded, "Can't guarantee I'll know it though."
"That's okay." She requested a song and Marco started playing. People started to gather as songs were requested, played, and sung. Before long the guitar was passed and more instruments were added. I watched as people's grim faces started to morph into smiles and the anxiety in the air lessened as they released it through laughing and singing.
Eventually, Marco ended up by my side again. "I'm surprised Deklyn or Rory isn't with you. They're like your shadows."
I chuckled, "Well, Rory is with Lyla probably doing unspeakable things to each other." Marco made a face and groaned at the thought. "And last I saw, Deklyn was surrounded by a harem of female wolves. He seemed to be enjoying himself so I left to find something to do."
"Not feeling left out are yeah?" Marco grinned at me.
I pushed him with a laugh, "Naw. Lyla and Rory are meant for each other and we're about to go into a mission. If I had a man, I'd be doing him all night long. Well, maybe not all night, I think rest would be a nice thing going into a mission such as this. As for Deklyn, he needs to be friends with others outside our unit. And if he finds a young woman he fancies then more power to him."
"You are sometimes too honest Rai." Marco shook his head.
"Why?"
"Most would not admit out loud that they would have sex, it's still one of those subjects that you know exist but don't inject in a conversation."
I shrugged, "It's not like I'm telling you explicitly what I enjoy in bed."
"Thank gods, I really don't want to know." I laughed as we sat back and listened to the most recent song being played.
♠ ♠ ♠
Off to battle next chapter =)

Islander by Night Wish
The Call by Regina Spektor