Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

DYING!

Shit. Shit. Oh My Gods I'm Going To Die. Fuck. Shit. Dying, Dying, DYING! Oh My Gods and Goddesses! Fuck! I screamed in my head as the shuttle I was in piloted through chaos and explosions. With every turn and dip, we drew mere meters from another ship, shuttle, or piece of floating debris.
I was white knuckled as I clutched my seat's armrest and tried to calm down and failing miserably. I forced my eyes away from the shield in front and looked at my companions. The faces ranged from the younger pups looking just as scared as me to the more seasoned vets who's faces were stoned in concentration. Deklyn tried to give me a reassuring smile, but I could see the fear in his eye and the uncertainty in his lips.
"Entering the planet's atmosphere. This will be jerky." The pilot announced right before the shuttle started shaking and we got to witness a light show. I grabbed Deklyn's hand for both our comforts as we plummeted towards the ground for landing.
The landing was terrifying and made me want to vomit, but the pilot managed to land us safely without damaging the shuttle too bad. We quickly unbuckled our seat belts and left the shuttle as fast as we could. Deklyn, Marco, and Killian were instantly by my side as we maneuvered through the grasslands we landed in. It was quiet for a while as we crept through the plains and tried to seek out the enemy. Hours seemed to pass as the tall yellow weeds changed to a deserted broken city. Doors cried out as the wind blew against them. Windows fell apart as the last thread that kept them together disintegrated.
The silence and anticipation was killing me as the group passed through buildings, alleyways, and tight streets. The ruined city seemed to be sending off a warning, telling us that this was our future and we should turn back now and go home. We didn't listen of course, our orders were clear: destroy the enemy. We should have listened to the wisdom of the land for our future turned out far worse than this dilapidated place. We became far more broken than any of us would admit.
As the bleeding suns started to set, controlled chaos ensued as bullets and wolves rained down on us and orders were literally barked. That surreal feeling occurred as I was being pulled away to safer ground. My wind was working so fast, was so stimulated and catching almost everything, that time seemed to slow. I watched helplessly as claws tore into flesh and bullets graffitied blood all over walls, the streets, and soldiers. This once dull town made up of greys, tans, blacks, and whites, was now colored brightly.
I was so thrown off by the sudden brutality of the situation that Deklyn had to shake me before I snapped out of the dream like state.
"Rai! Rai, snap out of it!" My eyes finally focused on his and I shook my head. "Welcome back. We have men you need to look at. Let's go." I nodded and my grueling job began.
I'd fought before. Taken care of severely wounded men before. Even partook in a few small battles. But being out in the thick of this war was something else. I began to wonder if any of us would come out of this sane. The dark side, the truly darkest part of being in the military was finally shining through and I marveled at how unprepared I was for it. After everything that I had seen and experienced, I was stunned at how off guard I was for this mission.

~~~
"How are you doing today?" Calum whispered in his wife's ear as he came from behind and held her.
"Fine." She smiled. "Everything went smoothly today."
"Glad to hear." He kissed her and went to set the table for dinner. After setting all but one place, he paused looking unsure.
"What is wrong?" Kat asked, bringing dinner to the table.
Calum tapped a knife on the table before looking up to meet his wife's eyes. "The war against the radical group Evigilantem started today." Kat nodded, not fully understanding why her husband paused so much. "Kat," Kat looked at him and saw the pain in his eyes. "Rai is down on the planet they use as a home base. She's in the thick of it all."
Kat stumbled a little in surprise and fear, "What?"
"I'm sorry." He went to hug her, but she pushed him away.
"Why did you not tell me sooner!" She cried quietly, trying not to alarm the kids in the next room.
"I didn't know."
"How could you not?"
"I don't know everything Kataline. I happen to come across the list of units fighting in it. W Unit 13 was near the top under ground units." A small cry escaped her lips as she covered her face with her hands. "I'm sorry Kat." Calum pulled her into him and tried to comfort her.
After a few minutes she whispered, "I cannot lose her too Cal. She's all the family I have left."
"I know." He whispered as he stroked her hair.
"If anything happened to her, I will not forgive them. First they do something terrible to my brother and now they send her off to her death. I will not stand for this!"
"She's tough Kat, if anyone will survive it'll be her."
"Not if she sacrifices herself for a wolf."
"That'll be her choice, but she knows she needs to come home. If not for herself, but for you and the kids. You're all she has left too and she won't leave you alone."
"I know."
"We only have two more layers left before we crack her computer."
"Good. Cal," She looked up so she was once again looking into her lovers eyes, "Thank you."
His face softened and he whispered, "No problem."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the short chapter, this is setting up for what is to come.

I feel like this chapter kind of turned solemn.