Sequel: Helping Terra
Status: Holy shit, it's done!?

My W Unit

You're Beautiful

The Sun was starting to set when Zane stopped the car and rolled down the window. "What are you doing?" Deklyn asked as he popped his head between our the seats.
"We're entering a pack's land, I have to make sure we can enter." He replied just before sticking his head out and letting out a howl. A moment later a reply howl bounced back to us and Zane started the forward once more. "Alright listen up." Everyone quieted. "We are now on another pack's land so behave and respect their rules. They're pretty easy going, but don't do anything stupid. You know the basic wolf law so please adhere to it."
"Who's land is it?" Rory asked.
Zane took a deep breathe, "My father's."
Everyone's head turned sharply to look at Zane, "Why'd you have to ask permission if it's your father's territory? Are you not on good terms with him?" Rory asked suspiciously.
"My family and I are on excellent terms, well okay terms I haven't talked to them recently. However, it was more out of common courtesy than worrying about being rejected. Also, I didn't exactly warn them I would be coming with my pack so I wanted to let them know. We'll be arriving at the house in ten minutes."
"What should we know about them?" Killian asked even though he knew the most about Zane's family.
"They live on a large farm, therefore we shall be helping them around the place. At the farm lives my mother Trista and father Ryker Aldwin, my brother Asher, his mate Kira, my sister Cadence, her mate Isaiah Rivera, my nieces Miley Aldwin and Christina Rivera, nephews Dorian Aldwin, Toby Rivera, and Emerson Rivera, cousins Jude Aldwin, Tammy Aldwin, Martin Norewood, Iris Norewood, Titus Aldwin, and Timothy Aldwin, Aunts Judith Aldwin, Cynthia Aldwin, Mary Norewood and Viviana Norewood, and my uncles Quentin and Grayson Aldwin. We are mostly a family pack, but recently there have been a few new wolves but I don't know who they are."
"How long have they been bitten?"
"Less than a year. Rai, stay close to one of us when they are around please, I don't think they would hurt you but accidents happen." I nodded knowing it would make him and everyone else feel better. We pulled up to an impressive farm house with three smaller cottages and a large barn behind it. "Behave." Zane whispered as he exited the car and walked out in front of it. We quickly followed suit with Killian standing by his right shoulder and Deklyn sticking close to me. We saw movement by the windows but no one came out to greet us.
We waited patiently for only a few second when a tall gentleman with short black hair and nicely trimmed facial hair walked out. Right behind him to his right was a similar looking man, but his hair was longer and he had a scruffier beard. "Long time no see son." The Alpha smiled as he walked up to us and hugged Zane.
"Sorry about that." he smiled and hugged back. Seconds later the door flew open and wolves poured out the door.
"Mind introducing everyone before you are mobbed by everyone?" He shot the latter part behind him; all the wolves waited impatiently on the porch.
As he pointed to each of us, Zane introduced us to his father, "My Beta Killian Murphy." Killian stepped up and shook Ryker's hand. "Theta Jasper Birch. Theta Trina Montgomery. Scouts Rory St. Michael and Lyla Montgomery. Theta Deklyn Ward and Dr. Aleara-Rain Night."
"Hello sir, please call me Rai." I smiled as I shook his hand.
He leaned forward a little to look me in the eyes. "Your eyes seem familiar."
"Her brother was Jayce, he had similar eyes." Zane replied stepping closer to me.
"Except they were opposite of mine." I added.
"Ah yes, he was a very nice young wolf. I am sorry for your loss." Ryker bowed his head.
"Thank you."
"Now, you may greet everyone. Be careful!" Ryker warned his pack. They eagerly nodded and bounded down the stairs.
"ZANE!" A female with long dark brown hair and sparkling green eyes cried and threw herself into his arms.
"Hey Cadence." He smiled, easily catching her. "How are you?"
"Fantastic now that I get to see you." She smiled brightly and then turned to me. "I've heard so much about you." She pulled me into a hug.
"I've heard a bit about you. Going to be a teacher of literature." I smiled.
"Yes! I was offered a job just yest-" She cut herself off and took a deep breath. Her eyes widened before a smile spread across her lips. "Gods and Goddesses!" She jumped on me again and she vibrated with excitement.
"Cadence." Zane warned.
"But oh my gods!" She smiled. "Why didn't you say anything!?" She demanded from her brother.
"Human here. I'm confused." I raised my hand.
Cadence turned back to me. "Let me be the first to welcome you to the family." She smiled and hugged me again. I was soon flocked by Zane's relatives who sniffed me and then hug me.
"Thanks?" Yep I was a little uncomfortable.
"Cadence, you're making the girl uncomfortable." A woman with the same color hair and eyes walked over. I now understood where Zane got his brilliant green eyes from.
"Hi mom." Zane greeted and hugged her.
"Hello Darling." She kissed his cheek and then approached me. "Hello Rai, Zane has spoken often of you."
"I hope only good things." I let out a laugh.
"I hear you keep in from letting the Alpha status getting to his head." She winked.
"Someone's gotta." I grinned. "All I've got is my wit and sarcasm, eh?"
"All we poor humans have in the company of wolves." Trista sighed.
Deklyn snorted, "Don't believe Rai, she can incapacitate a wolf in mere seconds."
I shrugged innocently, "I just happen to know the right pressure point to hit, sue me."
Trista laughed. "I knew I'd like you. But I have a question for you." I nodded, "Any particular reason you are wearing such clothing?" We looked down at my dull grey outfit.
I looked to Zane who cleared his throat, "Dad, we have to talk."
"About?" He didn't sound happy.
"I'm sure you are aware of the war we fought in and some of the aftermath."
"Yes. Does this have to do with why you haven't contacted us in over a year?"
"Yes." He squared his shoulders and informed, "We were wanted for treason against the government. It's a long story sir."
Ryker let out a sigh, "Into the house. Rai, Lyla, and Jasper may change while you explain everything." Zane nodded, took my hand, and we headed inside. Trista ushered Jasper, Lyla, and me upstairs to change while the rest of the pack met in the living room to talk about what we had been going through.
"Jasper, here is a pair of shorts and shirt that should fit. There's also a belt in case they are too wide around the waist. Lyla and Rai, I hope you don't mind dresses for now. I will look for more suitable clothes tomorrow." Trista smiled and handed us the clothes. We graciously took the clothes and quickly changed. We walked downstairs where I took a seat next to Zane who pulled me close without breaking eye contract with his father and the other two stayed close.
"I am actually not quite sure what happened when Jasper, Lyla, and Rai were arrested but we do know that a local wolf informed the police that we were in the area. We found out after they had already been arrested and on the ship to be taken back to Central Prime. We quickly assembled and the next morning we were back on Myrra following the ship. It took us quite a few months to arrive here and they were put straight on trial. After the Prosecution went we intervened and..." Zane tried to pick his words carefully.
"Be blunt son." Ryker said.
"Things got chaotic and while that happened I took my pack away and headed here." Zane replied.
"You just up and left during a trial and came here!" Cynthia shrieked.
"Where else were we to go?" Zane questioned.
"That was stupid! You just put all of us in danger!" Cynthia cried.
"Enough Cynthia. Zane is our family and we protect family. It may have been irrational, but I'd rather him and his pack here than somewhere in the galaxy never to be heard from again." Ryker shushed the outraged wolf. "However, you should have informed us Zane."
Zane bowed his head, "I'm sorry, I was only looking out for my pack and coming here was a last minute decision."
"Since you are taking refuge here, what was the 'treason' you committed?"
"Officially we brainwashed other wolves, were helping Evigilantem, and other ridiculous allegations." Zane answered then looked to me.
I leaned into him as I replied, "However, the real reason was because the Council was misinformed as to why a little secret of theirs was leaked to more than just me."
"A secret?" Ryker pushed.
My eyes glazed over as I replied, "A long time ago they did an experiment... An experiment that if leaked out to the general public, more specifically wolves, chaos would most likely ensue."
"What experiment?"
My eyes focused on his as I replied, "Scientist were observing how long it would take wolves to become completely feral when they weren't assigned an Alpha." All the wolves inhaled sharply. "Takes about a year."
"Rai, we need to tell you something..." Zane said carefully.
My heart picked up as I asked, "What?"
"They didn't stop after Jay. A year or two after him they started up again." Every wolf in the room froze as anger burst through me. Without talking I stood up, walked out of the room, and then out the front door. I blindly kept walking, barely taking notice to footsteps behind me. I didn't stop until I came across a small creek blocking my path. Finally I screamed and searched for anything to throw. Next thing I knew, someone had my wrists and I started fighting them.
"Rai, shh. I know. I know." Zane tried talking to me but I kept flailing as hot liquid ran down my face. Eventually my strength gave out and I fell into him crying. He held me, whispered nothing to me as I released my feelings. "I know Rai, I know"
"Those fucking bastards! They lied to me!" I sobbed. "I did everything they told me too. I never told anyone, Fuck I didn't even go to sessions because if I did I'd have to say something. Nights wasted. Years! They had the audacity to charge me falsely and bring my pack into it when they were breaking their promise with me! Those bastards!"
"Well, they're going to get what they paid for now." Zane tried to reassure.
"I hope so." I growled.
He kissed my head and asked, "You going to be okay?"
"Yeah." I nuzzled into his chest, "I'm always going to be okay." We stood quietly for a little while before I asked, "Do you want to talk?"
"About?" He asked confused.
"Jay."
He was quiet a moment before answering, "I'm still trying to process it. It's a lot to take in."
"I know." I squeezed him.
"I knew his death was bad. I couldn't deny that from how you acted when it was brought up, but... but to find out that he..." Zane shook his head. "You make a little more sense now." I laughed as fresh tears started dripping. "I'm sorry you had to go through all that alone Rai. If I'd known..."
"Then things would have been different. Don't worry about that, let's just try to handle the now."
"Okay." A howl reached our ears. "Dinner's ready of you want to eat."
"I'm starving." I pulled away. "I feel gross."
"You're beautiful." He wiped away the last remaining tears.
I rolled my eyes as a blush formed on my cheek, "You're just saying that..."
"I believe I have on more than one occasion told you you looked like crap."
"Jerk." I punched his chest.
He held my hand in place as he grinned, "And you still love me."
"Well can't deny that, you'd hear me if I did. Stupid werewolves."
He leaned forward, a centimeter from my lips, "You love us."
"That I do." I closed the cap and kissed him.
"You really do look beautiful, I like the dress."
"Thanks. Your mom said she'd find Lyla and me something more suitable tomorrow." I looked down at the lace sundress.
"Maybe I can convince mom to find you only dresses to wear." He grinned, his eyes sparkling.
"You wish. Now time to go back so we can eat. I could eat a cow."
"We might actually be eating beef tonight." Zane swept me up in his arms and started towards the house.
"Hey!"
"You miss, are not wearing shoes."
"So?"
"So? My mom would kill me if I let you walk home without shoes. I was raised a gentleman you know."
"Could have fooled me." I grinned. He nipped at my chin before I settled my head against his shoulder. "It's nice here." I observed.
Zane rubbed his cheek against my head, "It is." I could hear the contentment in his voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cute Zane and Rai are cute. How do you like the fam?