Status: Short Story

No Holding Back

1

Lorelei shook her head and ran her hand through her hair, “The boys are going to be devastated when you tell them.”

Danny Briere nodded, “I know.”

“Are you sure you want to do this?” she asked.

“I have to,” he wasn’t really sure he wanted to, “If I want to play I have to go overseas.”

“But you have a family, you’re not like Claude,” she stated, “The boys, Sylvie…”

“You,” he added and touched her face.

“Stop it,” she backed away from his touch, “I’m not even a factor in this and I shouldn’t be.”

Danny was frustrated with Lorelei and her adamant dismissal of the feelings they had for one another. He knew she felt the jolt when they touched because of the look on her face. He knew that look, the one of longing and hope, and the shift it took into pain and sadness. He knew it all too
well because it was the same look he had every time she walked away from him.

“I’m leaving for Berlin in a few days,” he looked down and started to walk away.

Lorelei didn’t say anything, she just watched him walk out of her apartment.

Danny had come over to tell her the news that had devastated him and had hurt her more than she was willing to admit. She cared for Danny and his boys like they were her own, but they weren’t and never could be. She was friends with Sylvie, his ex-wife, and didn’t feel like that was okay.

Sylvie and Lorelei had met at work a few years back and even though there was a few years between them, they had connected. Sylvie had attempted to play match maker with Lorelei and some of Danny’s teammates, but Lorelei really only had eyes for one man; a married man at that.

She had always thought of Danny as the sweetest man in the world, always found his fatherly abilities to be endearing, and had fallen for him years ago. Then, when Sylvie confided in her that she had cheated on her husband Lorelei’s heart ached for the couple, but mostly for Danny. Yes, she was friends with Sylvie and she knew and understood the pair had been having marital issues, but Danny didn’t deserve to be cheated on, he didn’t deserve to be disrespected in that way.

After rumors began to fly and papers were served Lorelei managed to remain close with both Sylvie and Danny. She had been a confidant to both, keeping her mouth shut when needed, letting small details slip when she felt necessary, and being the one to help the boys through the rough time. She had put herself into a corner and couldn’t find a way out.

Danny had noticed what Lorelei had done and knew he had taken advantage of her kindness. He also knew that she had become his best friend outside his Flyers’ teammates and that she had fallen into his dysfunctional family in a perfect way.

He had confronted his ex-wife with the news of having feelings for their friend and gained a shocking reaction: she encouraged him to have a relationship with Lorelei. Sylvie didn’t seem upset, she didn’t seem to worry about his sanity or their three sons, she worried about Lorelei.
Though the divorce had been a rough one, Sylvie and Danny had learned how to be friends for their boys and to be civil in other situations. They did not like one another, per say, but they did have a mutual respect for one another. Danny hadn’t seen the supportive side to Sylvie in a long time and he definitely did not expect for her to care about his love life.

After breaking the news to his ex, she had informed him that she had seen it coming for a while and that she believed Lorelei shared his emotions. The only thing she worried about was the fact that Lorelei was too sweet and too caring to ever give him a chance. Both knew that she wanted to remain friends and not stir the pot, but they both saw the chance of something great for not only Danny but for their children.

Sylvie advised him to take a little time and that she would drop hints to Lorelei that it was okay to be with Danny if she wanted to.

Almost two years later, nothing had happened. Danny was becoming frustrated and losing hope that anything would ever happen between he and Lorelei. At the same time, Lorelei was completely missing the blatant displays that Danny would show her. she chalked the small touches, the sweet comments, and everything else to him just being a good guy. After all, she was a single twenty-eight year old who really had no dating prospects since he had known her, he probably just felt sorry for her.

As Danny drove home he tried to think of a way to tell his sons about playing in Germany and leaving them for an unknown amount of time. he only had a short time to spend with them before leaving but he planned to make every second count.

In the back of his mind, he also knew that this was the time to get into Lorelei’s mind, to really let her in on his feelings and to figure hers out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 1 of my contest entry for this contest:
http://www.mibba.com/Forums/Topic/179375/NHL-Short-Story-Contest/

Hope you guys like. It should be 5 chapters if I've figured it out right :P