Fine Line Between Sweet and Sour

Prologue

Heather

"I'm so sorry, babe. But I've got to do a raincheck for our dinner tonight. My boss just told me about a meeting we'll have to do after work-hour. I don't think I'll be home until midnight." He said on the phone, sounding almost guilty.
"Yeah, it's fine," I replied, hiding the disappointment in my voice.
"Thank you for being the most understanding babe in the entire world. I love you so much, darlin'. I'll see you tomorrow morning, yeah?"
"Yeah, yeah. Goodluck with the meeting. Love you too!" I said, hanging up the phone.

I put all the books on my desk and groaned in frustration as I took a sight at the mess on my desk. I wasn't in the mood to clean up the mess so I just left it all and hoped that the office cleaner would do it for me before tomorrow. The only thing in my mind right now was the hot bath I'd be taking alone when I got home, having our plan cancelled just minutes ago.

John

"My door's not locked, wait for a bus just across the street." I said quietly with my eyes closed.
"Let me stay just tonight, please? I'll be gone before you know it." The blonde begged, faking a pout, while still trying to zip up her tight dress just across the bed.
"No." I said calmly, in attempt to sound not too rude but failing miserably.
"Sure, asshole." She said, giving me a middle finger before slamming the door.
I ignored her and stepped into the bathroom. Not that it was the first time someone had called me that anyway.

The smell of both alcohol and sweat still lingered all over my body. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, my hair messy, prominent bags under my eyes only pointing out the lack of sleep I'd had lately. I opened the shower curtain slowly before carefully taking a step inside. The tiles were already slippery from what I just did with that girl whose name I'd completely forgotten just a while ago. I turned on the hot water and felt how the water was cascading from my head to my legs. My eyes shut from the calming warmth, trying to wash away both disgust and guilt I feel for myself everytime I'd just done it . It was peaceful for about 3 minutes or so, until the ugly memories started to creep up my brain again.

I tried to shut my eyes tighter, wishing it would all just go away. I'd been feeling nothing but shitty these days, and now was not the time to let those memories sink in again. But the more I tried, the more the vision seemed clear in my mind. I could almost see the mixture of anger and disappointment in my father's face from 6 years ago right in front of my eyes.

"I really don't know how to deal with you anymore, John. Why is it that the only thing you can do is disappoint your parents?!" His face burning red, his voice rang through my ears.
"I...I wanna be in this band, dad. I mean, we're gonna tour a lot. I'm so sor-" I stuttered, trying to defend myself, only to get cut off by my father.
"You wanna be in a band?! If by being in a band means dropping out of school then I highly suggest you to forget about your band and go back to school!"
"You know I can't do that! School's just-" I trailed off, "it's just not for me."
"If school isn't for you then so is this house." He replied, trying his best to sound strong when in fact I could almost see tears forming from the corners of his eyes.
My legs went limp hearing what he just said. I couldn't help but to drop my face and suck in a breath, trying my best to hold the tears from both anger and sorrow.

If there was anyone in my life who knew me at all, it would be my father. He's always known that I've never wanted to go to school and all I ever care about is my passion for music. It's my first band ever and it actually works. An independent record label offering us a headlining tour right after getting signed doesn't happen twice. But now? Right when I'm trying to choose the right path in my life, he wants me to just throw it all away and do what HE wants me to do instead? No way in hell I'm letting that happen.

"Jay! Are you even aware of what you just said to our son?!" Shouted my mom at my dad, her eyes were already damp. She'd been trying to stay out of the argument, knowing that this isn't the first time both my dad and I have ever had a heated argument. But him telling me to get out of his house never once occured before. "John, just go upstairs! Listen to your dad just this once, please? I promise I'll help you get back into school."

"Ma..." I looked at her sadly. Sad that I can't even do what the woman I love the most told me to.

"Get out of here now if you still have a little respect." He said looking away, still refusing to look at his son's eyes, well aware that he would be begging me to stay if he did.

I didn't need him telling me twice.


How I wished the hot water could wash the thought away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heather's outfit

Sorry this one was short.
But don't worry, I've already imagined the whole story even before I wrote it. The next chapters will be (hopefully) interesting.
Thanks for reading!