Status: First story, I'm trying. No set releases.

The Californian Sun

Strangers in the Dark

The van was travelling down a dark beachside road in the early hours of the morning and all of the boys inside were getting tired or impatient.
"Where the fuck are we man?" Garrett directed towards the Jared at the wheel.
"The GPS says the driveway is just coming up on the right."
"Oh thank fuck!" Kennedy says, stating bored out the window, next to John fiddling with his phone.
"I need to peeeeee man!" Pat added to the conversation.
"Soon dude" Jared responded. The group managed to travel in a patient silence for all of 2 minutes before the bus started to slow and turn off the road, every head in the car that wasn't watching the road shot up.
Before them was a canopy of yellow flowers commonly found on the beach, twined with wire to become a creeping vine that created a pseudo tunnel. Fairy lights were mixed in between the foliage as well, providing soft but minimal lighting.
"Is this it?" Murmured John.
"GPS says so" Jared responded, accelerating into the tunnel of vines. A single curve within the flower maze and they were spat at the other end, Jared immediately hitting the break. Nestled about 100 metres from the open water sat a beautiful, old 2 story sandstone house. The driveway lead out onto a courtyard big enough to fit their bus threefold, before sloping down ti large garage doors. Through broad windows on the first floor came a soft light. Suddenly, in small stepped entrance way, a light flicked on, shining in the direction of the van. A figure was sitting on the brick wall by the front door, semi hidden by the same creeping plant and fairy lights as the road in, over hanging the entrance way. Jared edged forward to the start of the ramp and parked. The figure stood from the brick and made its way towards them. In the flood of the headlights the figure became Jade Rogers Farrell. Kennedy moved to get out of the van, looking very excited. But he was between John and Pat, and he'd made to get out John's side.
"Stop dude! She organised this with my mom, I go first." Ken grumbled but made no move of protest. John in lipped his belt and stepped out of the car.
"Hi," the girl walked towards him, "I'm Jade, you are?" She smiled warmly up at him. She didn't have too far to look as she was only a few inches shorter than him. He looked to see if she was wearing high heels but she was barefoot on the sand blasted brick courtyard floor. He ruffled his hair and rubbed the back of his neck.
"I'm John?" His nervousness betrayed him through his voice.
"Well you tell me" she smiled and laughed, extending a hand. He gladly took it.
"I'm John," he said, ending the handshake, "oh! And these are my band mates." The guys had just begun to file out in various states of dishevelment, he introduced each as they came.
"This is Jared" Jared smiled and took the hand extended toward him, before moving for their bags in the back of the van.
"And Garrett"
"Hi" he said, and suddenly took great interest in helping with the bags. She laughed at this and her eyes quickly alighted on me before turning to Kenny.
"I'm Kennedy, call me Kenny" he said, taking her hand before she could properly offer it. And it wouldn't be a true Kennedy greeting without the kiss on the hand he bestowed upon her next. She just laughed.
"It's nice to meet you Kenny" he too walked off. Finally was Pat, and he too had to impart his own greeting upon the girl.
"Jade Rogers Farrell!" He declared, before throwing himself at her at full attack hug. She laughed as he knocked her down, and quickly got back up smiling.
"Oh I shouldn't have done that" Pat murmured.
"No, you shouldn't have" I responded, embarrassed by my band mates.
"Honestly it's fine, I'm used to rowdy boys. You guys know All Time Low?" She began, but Pat interrupted.
"No, I really need to pee!"
"Oh!" She laughed, "I'll show you to the bathroom, you want to come, maybe John?" She smiled at him, mocking his previous uncertainty about his name. I just smiled and nodded, falling into step beside her as Pat raced ahead.
"It's through the kitchen to the left!" She instructed after him, and he bounded off with even greater speed.
She sat down on a high stool at the granite bench in the kitchen and patted the seat next to her for me to occupy.
"So, you've spent time with All Time Low?" She laughed and responded,
"Some would say too much. And you?"
"A few tours with them"
"Ah, I see, I bet Jack and Pat get along well" I scoffed,
"Like a house on fire! I was hoping they'd eventually cancel each other out." She laughed at this, her eyes scrunched and she threw her head back. She was beautiful. At that moment, Pat decided to return.
"What's so funny?" He asked, looking suspicious.
"Oh, just John, he was recounting a story his mom told him of her teenage years with my mother." Pat wasn't convinced, so she pulled out all the stops. "I know it's like, 1 am but do you guys want some food?" A chorus of "yes please!" Came from the entryway, as the rest of the guys filed in with the bags.
"Way to help, you guys" Kennedy mumbled. Garrett kept mostly to himself, but Jared asserted himself straight away.
"Where to, miss?" He asked, in reference to the bags.
"Oh we'll sort that after food. Do you guys like sangria?"
"You have spent a lot of time with All Time Low" I look at her, smiling. She grins back and brings out two jugs of the tangy red liquid.
"I make it myself. On the menu, I think.. Mexican food" At that, John almost hugged her himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
14 readers and 3 subs already! Thank you all! I hope you like it, this is as far as I've written so far, it will be slow but not snails pace getting these chapters out. It's been an idea I've had forever, I actually wrote it out once but it headed in a direction I didn't like, so I won't be stuck for at least a little while. I'm heavy on descriptions.

Jess