Ice Might Be Nice

The Beginning

I’ve always wanted to be an Athletic Trainer, I can’t remember a day I haven’t wanted to be on the sidelines helping my team be it’s best. Ok, that’s not entirely true, I played soccer all the way through college, Keeper at that. That’s not really important now, now I play when I have a chance. I also try hard _not_ to laugh at the players as they kick the ball around to warm up. Everyone pans soccer for not being as tough as some other sports but they had no real idea of how tough someone has to be to be a Keeper.

Right now, however I was using the training facilities for my own fitness. It was early, about 7 am, and I didn’t expect any of the players to be here. As a trainer as long as it didn’t interfere with my duties I could use the facilities. I liked that, it meant I didn’t have to join a gym, just find time to use one. I was on the treadmill listening to some great music and gearing myself up for the day when I heard something crash. Turning off the music, but not slowing on the treadmill, I looked over and saw Reg racking the free weights. He saw me and came over, he checked out where I was on the machine and nodded. “You’ve certainly got yourself up there.”

I laughed. “I’d be running outside but I hate running in the wet. Trying to get the blood moving before the rest of them get here.” It was mid-September and while I had met a lot of the team already, I didn’t know everyone. Officially training camp began in a week and a half give or take.

Reg just nodded. “Be careful not to over do it. Putting you back together isn’t our job.” He winked at me as he walked away. That was Reg, or that’s how I knew him, only serious when he had to be which made him a bit intimidating at first. Once he’d seen just how far I would push myself he mostly left me to my own devices.

45 minutes later my workout wound down. I grabbed the water bottle I kept with me and took a good drink. I’d worked up a nice sweat so I knew that I needed a shower. I toweled off and headed for the showers, another nice thing about being where I was.

Once my shower was done I braided my hair as usual and got myself ready to face the day. As I was walking through what was sort of my domain, I heard a whistle. Turning and irritated I saw that it was just Reg. “You look good in that.” I rolled my eyes and continued for my boss’ office.

Knocking on the frame he looked up. “Oh good Krys you are here. I got a message on my phone that a few more of the guys will be here starting today. Also don’t be surprised if people ask you who you are. The training staff all knows you but the coaching staff, who are also reporting today don’t yet. If you have any problems please tell one of us, you _do_ belong here.”

I grinned. Of course I knew the rumors about Coach Tortorella, who didn’t after 24/7? “Can do. You said to bug you today about my entrance pass for The Garden itself.”

Jim’s face brightened. “I did indeed. I sent them your picture and they sent me back this.” He held out a security badge with my name and picture. Krys Morgan, Athletic Trainer, NY Rangers. I barely held on to a giggle as I accepted it from him. “I did tell you which entrance to use right?” I nodded. “Oh good. Now get and see if Acacio is here.”

I chuckled and shook my head as I left. I was going to like working with Jim and all the training staff, none of them cared that I wasn’t a guy. They cared that I knew my job and did it well. Coming into the actual locker room I found Acacio had just come in. “Morning. Jim’s in his office, wanted to know if you were here and where I should start.”

Acacio quirked his face up a bit. “Did the practice jerseys all get washed and such yesterday? If not then start there. If they did, which I’m pretty sure is the case, um… we need to double check spelling and attachment on numbers and names for the guys we _know_ will be on the team this year. If you want to start on that, I can bring the box in here for you. They need to be hung up if they are good, if not we’ll have to send them back for fixing.”

“I suppose I have to do all 3 sets right?” I said, already knowing the answer. Of course I would, we had the Home Set, the Away Set and the Alternative Set. All of which had to be checked for lettering and such. I know what you’re wondering, why am I doing this job. That’s simple; the low man gets the crap jobs. That meant I helped out both the Athletic trainers as I was hired for and the equipment guys when they needed it. “And why out here? Would it be better to do it where the guys won’t think I’m screwing them up?”

A bark of laughter came out of Acacio. “Relax Krys, being out here means that the guys will have no choice but to get used to you. It has nothing to do with any superstitions. Better they know you’re here and 100% behind them than to hide you. Jim and I talked about it last night.” We walked into the ack room and while I wheeled the rack out into the locker room, he brought out the first box of jerseys and the roster form. “Just pick anywhere and start working. I’ll check on you in a little bit.”

I set the rack to my right and the box in front of me. Opening it I found that the numbers seemed to be all mixed up, until I looked at the roster, they were in position order not alphabetical order. As I worked through I found not only was it by position but it was alphabetical by position. I mentally rolled my eyes as I picked up the next jersey, unfolded it and began checking to see that everything was secure.

“Be careful with that, it’s mine.” I looked up and found Ryan Callahan standing in front of me. “Hi, you must be the new trainer Gabby was telling me about.”

I smiled, put the jersey on a hanger and hung it on the rack. “I’m Krys and yeah I’m new. I’m not sitting in your stall am I?”

Ryan chuckled. “Nah, I’m over there. I just wanted to see what you were doing.” He pointed across the room.

“Oh, checking the stitching to make sure it’s secure and triple checking spellings and numbers. It’s today’s scut job of the moment, until you guys are done and then the _real_ fun begins.” I faked being enthusiastic about the laundry I was going to have to help with.

He laughed. “Is it gonna bug you if I go ahead and change and stuff?”

It was my turn to laugh. “Nah, I’ve got 2 more sets to go through after this one. I probably won’t even notice.” Never mind that I had spent enough time in locker rooms myself to know what to do and what not to do. I picked up the next jersey and began examining it, completely ignoring the fact that the room was filling up slowly.

When I was done with the first box, the Home Set of jerseys, I sat up and stretched. Thanks back for trying to seize up on me. By now the room was pretty full of all kinds of players, not just the Rangers. I wheeled the rack back into the equipment room and was about to go grab the box when I heard someone begin cursing in the locker room. I had the now empty box with me so I knew it wasn’t that. I headed back to the room, I grabbed a couple towels just in case. Surveying the scene when I got into the doorway I saw Ryan wave me over. “Knocked himself a good one on his locker. Won’t let us check it.”

“Fuck you Cally.” Came the voice behind the wall of semi-nude men. “I’ll be fine, I don’t need to be checked.”

I lifted my eyes towards heaven asking silently why I had to be the one to do this. Not getting an answer I began moving the guys out so I could get a look. “Not his or your call if you need to be checked. Now move the hell out of my way so I can do my job.” That parted the bodies for me and most of them were kind of staring open-mouthed at me.

The man sitting before me had most of his clothes on and looked at me angrily. “I said I didn’t need to be checked.” He said plainly and with not nearly as much force as before.

I sighed. “You’re bleeding. At least put a towel on it and follow me so I can get a good look.” That got a few wolf whistles at which I closed my eyes at and mentally counted to 10. When I opened them again he was just looking at me. “Make your choice, either you let me check your head or I go calling through the complex looking for Jim or Bruce.” I leaned over and continued. “And you should know I can yell loudly.”

As it happened I didn’t need to go shouting for either of the other two as Jim had come into the room. “Staalsy, let Krys check you just in case. She isn’t lying, she _can_ yell loudly. The rest of you can knock that crap off, treat her like she’s your sister.”

He got up and suddenly I felt shorter than I did before. I handed him a towel and walked out of the room. I heard a few of the guys asking who I was and not all nicely either, but I just let Jim handle that. We quickly made it to the training room and better lighting. “Take a seat and let me see.” I said, getting out some gloves.

“So where’d they dig you up?” the tall ginger asked as he sat down.

“Someone saw me working a Spartans game sometime last year, just graduated in June.” I moved over and took the towel from him and began checking his head. I was leaned over not as precariously as I could have been; I just prayed I wouldn’t fall.

“So you’re like smart and stuff.” He said kind of quietly as I dabbed at the blood that was on his head. I must have hit something as he hissed a couple times. “Ow, fuck that hurt.”

I chuckled as I finally got a good look at it. “I would think so, there’s a half inch to an inch gash up here. I could go get someone to stitch this or I could just butterfly it and check it after you’re done for today.” I had my fingers carefully around the wound waiting for his decision.

“Shit….” He seemed to get what he said. “Sorry, I’m gonna get chirped either way. Can we put off stitches until after and just butterfly it for now?”

I looked up as I hear someone in the doorway; it was Jim. He just nodded and continued into the room. “If you want. I’ll even let you _shower_ first before we recheck it.” I said the last part of that sarcastically. I didn’t care really; locker rooms and athletes _stank_ after a good workout, it was normal. I put a couple butterfly bandages over it and made sure they were going to dislodge too easily. “You’re good to go. No more cracking your skull. Would hate for the smartest Staal to get stupid now wouldn’t we?”

He chuckled as he got up. “See you after practice.” He left and I found myself alone in the trainer’s room. What the hell had I just done, I didn’t flirt with guys I worked with, but I just did.
♠ ♠ ♠
WELCOME TO MY NEW FIC!!!! This is 100% for my friend Krys cause I promised and I keep my promises! This fic is based in the 2012-2013 season, you know the one we SHOULD be having now! Don't be surprised if characters cross over from my other fics, even _I_ don't know yet where this is going!