Saviour

Chapter 1

Emerald

My band and I started out about four years ago when we were in seventh grade. We didn’t start gaining popularity until we were freshmen in high school. Even then we were only famous in our state’s capitol where we live. So you can imagine my surprise when I heard that we are going on tour with two extremely famous bands – and not as an opening band like I had first expected. Instead of us opening for Black Veil Brides and Avenged Sevenfold we are co-headlining with them.
The best part is that we get to miss the last two weeks of our junior year in high school and the first month of our senior year to tour the country for an entire summer. It is going to be amazing.
Tour wouldn’t start for a couple of days which meant that we still have to go to school but I’m not going to complain. It’s almost Friday – the day that we would be free of school for four months. I am extremely excited.

“Beautiful!” I hear a very familiar voice shout the moment I walk close to the school. I went to a really small high school with very little around it. I smile and gave a small laugh.
“Hello gorgeous!” I hugged McKenzie before dragging him off to our spot. McKenzie is one of my best friends ever and he is also the rhythm guitarist in our band. Our spot isn’t all that special but it’s where we have hung out before school and during lunch every day for the last three years. It is in the classroom of our psychology, civics, and philosophy teacher and more specifically it is at the counter and cabinets that line the wall opposite of the teacher’s desk. Dan, our teacher, enjoys having us in his room every day since we aren’t overly loud and he helps us with our personal problems quite often. He is the teacher that everyone confided in. Dan is extremely excited and proud of us for making it onto this tour.
“Hey babe, hey Em” Mark said as he walked into the room only a few minutes after McKenzie and I got situated.
“Hey Mark” I said as McKenzie greeted Mark with a small kiss. I smiled at them before finishing the little homework I had left to do. Mark is our bassist and McKenzie’s boyfriend of two and a half years. The three of us have known each other for most of our lives. We grew up together and went through everything together. It had been the three of us with our friend Nina since the day we all met until sixth grade when Nina started dating Deavon, our singer Danny’s cousin. Danny’s real name was Dante and I am the only person allowed to call him Danny. As much as I hated Deavon, and still sometimes do, I have never once said anything to Nina about him and have accepted him into our group as much as I can. I still see him as an outsider in some ways but I will defend him to the day I die – unless he hurts Nina first. I never had a problem with Dante though; maybe it was because he fit in with us more than Deavon did. Danny was the first to agree upon the name I suggested for our band – which is now the name of our band – Confessional High. Danny, Nina and Deavon didn’t go to the same school as us though.
I am the only person in our band that doesn’t have a romantic partner. Nina had Deavon, Mark had McKenzie and Danny had his girlfriend Cassandra. I don’t complain much; I have too much baggage for new people to want to stick around. That’s not to say that I haven’t had boyfriends before because I have. They just don’t stick around for very long and if they do the relationship isn’t healthy. It’s just more baggage to add on.

School went by fast and soon Mark, McKenzie and I were driving towards the bar that I worked in. I have been working there for three years now thanks to my uncle who owned the place. As long as I didn’t touch the alcohol while a cop who he wasn’t friends with was in the place he didn’t care what I did. I would only be working until eleven tonight and tomorrow and then I would have the closing shift Friday. We aren’t leaving for tour until Saturday morning when Black Veil Brides and Avenged Sevenfold would be coming through. We would be following them in the bus that Mark’s dad bought us. It’s nice having someone who is rich help you out.
“Beautiful!” McKenzie called from the bar. I was in the back where the lockers were. I walked out as I was buttoning my shirt. I barely got two buttons done before I stopped dead in my tracks. Sitting at the bar was the guys from Black Veil Brides and Avenged Sevenfold. It took me a moment to snap out of my shock. I managed to come back down to earth to notice Ashley staring at my exposed stomach. I blushed before quickly buttoning the rest of my shirt.
“Nice one Em” I heard Deavon comment.
“Deavon my offer still stands from last night” I said casually. I knew his face was paling though. My “offer” was really a threat to do very horrible things to him.
“I’m good but thanks though” he said before he dashed off somewhere. Mark and I just laughed.
“Emmy!” I heard my uncle shout from the kitchen.
“Coming Nicky” I said as I made my way to the kitchen as I was tying my apron around my waist. “Yeah?” I asked as I got to the kitchen.
“These are the orders for both the bar and tables four and five. Jimmy’s on his break still.” Nicky said as he loaded my arms up with dishes and told me where they belong. I sighed and walked back out to the bar.
“Gorgeous will you help me with these?” He picked up half of the plates and put them on a tray. “These go to the bar” I said as I placed the ones that were left on another tray and traded with him. I passed out the plates that went to the two tables while McKenzie passed out the ones that went to the bar. When I walked back to the bar Jimmy was there mock-flirting with Deavon who had come back. I laughed which caused a glare from Deavon and a smile to spread across Jimmy’s face.
“Emmy-cakes!!” Jimmy called out as he tackled me into a hug.
“Easy there Jimmy-cakes” I said as I hit the ground hard. I bit back a groan as I hit a bruise on my shoulder. McKenzie and Mark looked over at me worried as did Nicky who walked out as it happened.
“I’m sorry Emmy” Jimmy said as he helped me up.
“Don’t worry about it. No harm no foul right?” I said as I straightened my clothes out.
“You sure nothing’s hurt?” Jimmy asked as I took a seat on a stool that Nicky had put behind the bar when I broke my ankle.
“You guys worry too much. Where’s Nina when I need her?” I asked noticing she was not here.
“Detention” Deavon stated.
“Again? For what?” Mark and I asked at the same time. We were so used to doing this that all we did was high five each other since we had nothing to drink.
“Every time you do that I always expect Em to demand that you make her a drink of some sorts. And her math teacher hates her still” Deavon said.
“I only do that to you” I said before looking around and deciding on what I wanted to drink.
“Are you hungry Emmy?” Nicky asked me as I grabbed a glass and made myself some cherry root beer. It’s delicious don’t judge me.
“Sure thanks Nicky” I said as I stole a couple extra cherries and quickly ate them.
“I saw that child” Nicky laughed as he made his way back into the kitchen. He only called me child when I was in mock trouble. I laughed and told him that I had no idea what he was talking about.
“You know if you didn’t ‘forget’ your lunch at home you wouldn’t need Nicky to make you food” Mark commented. He knew exactly why I didn’t bring lunch with me.
“That takes half the fun out of it. I would have to give Nicky another reason to make me food” I said jokingly.
“Where’s Danny?” I asked wondering where he was. Danny never missed work –ever.
“He left school early and didn’t give us an excuse. As far as I knew there was no family emergency” Deavon said. I nodded and started to stack empty cups. I hadn’t noticed that The Mortician’s Daughter by Black Veil Brides started playing until I started singing it.
“We booked our flight those years ago, I said “I love you,” as I left you. Regrets still haunt my hollow head, but I promised you that I will see you again, again. I sit here and smile dear. I smile because I think of you and I blush. These bleeding hollow dials… this fuss. A fuss is made of miles and travels when roadways are but stones and gravel. A bleeding heart can conquer every crutch.” I sang softly as I refilled all of the bottles that were open. I heard a small laugh, probably from McKenzie. I turned around and blushed again. I had forgotten that Black Veil Brides and Avenged Sevenfold were sitting at the bar. I just turned back around and finished what I was doing.
“You should sing more Sweat Pea” I heard a voice say. I got really excited and turned around.
“Grandpa!” I exclaimed as I rushed around the bar to hug my grandfather.
“Hey there Sweat Pea” Grandpa said as he squeezed me.
“You’re looking better than the last time I saw you” he said as he followed me around the bar to where I was sitting.
“Yep everything is better now” I said happily. I wasn’t really in the mood to talk about the last time he talked to me but I didn’t want him to worry. I already had enough people to worry about me. I ignored the looks that Mark and McKenzie gave me and made my grandfather a drink
“How’s school going?” Grandpa asked.
“It’s going. Only two more days” I said enthusiastically.
“And then four months off” McKenzie continued just as enthusiastically.
“And then nine months of torture again” Mark deadpanned.
“You have nothing to complain about. You have half days everyday” I told him just as Nicky brought out my food.
“You want anything dad?” Nicky asked after I thanked him. Grandpa shook his head.
“I’m fine Nick.” Grandpa said before taking a large gulp of his drink. I took a large bite out of my smothered fries.
“Have you been eating enough Sweat Pea? You look thinner than you did last time” Grandpa asked worriedly.
“I’m fine grandpa. Nicky won’t let me starve” I said before I took another bite.
“I worry about you is all. When was the last time you went home?” he asked.
“Yesterday” I said plainly. I didn’t want to have this conversation.
“Was that before or after you went to Mike’s?” Mark jumped in.
“Before. And before you ask I was there for two hours.” I stated before getting up and walking away.
“She always has hated talking about her problems” I heard Grandpa say.
“I’m aware” Mark stated. I rolled my eyes and did everything I could to calm myself down. I walked outside to the smoking area and slid down the rough brick wall. Tears were trying to escape from my eyes but I refused to let them. I refused to show weakness. Next to me the door opened to reveal Andy Biersack and Ashley Purdy. I looked up briefly before burying my head back into my arms which rested on my knees.
“You know they are just worried” I heard Andy comment. I looked up again and nodded.
“I don’t need them to worry. And I don’t want to talk about it” I said before either of them could ask any questions about it. I was about to have a breakdown and I knew it. I was hoping I could hold it off long enough for the two of them to leave. I didn’t want anyone to see my weakness.
“It’s okay to cry you know” I heard Ashley say. I just shook my head and clenched my teeth. Memories of things I wanted to bury deep inside my mind started to surface. If there was one thing I wouldn’t mind killing it would be the memories. All they did was cause pain.
“As much as you may not want to talk about it, you need it. You are surrounded by people who will listen to you and help you.” I heard Andy say after a few more minutes of silence. Then the door closed and the two of them were gone. I let out a shaky sigh as the tears started flowing. I felt an arm wrap itself around me and when I looked up Andy and Ashley were on either side of me. I didn’t question it; instead I leaned into Andy for support. They stayed with me as I cried until I forced the tears to stop. I was surprised no one came looking for us. Well them more than me. I often ran when I didn’t want to face my problems.

After my breakdown I went back to work and ignored any questions about what happened – even my grandfather’s. I wasn’t in the mood to talk and I just wanted to sleep. Of course if Grandpa stayed any later he would force me to go home where I would have to deal with an empty house.
By the time eleven rolled around I was half-asleep. I barely heard anything as I drifted into a peaceful sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story
Comments are helpful