If You're Happy and You Know It

One

"No," Rose says stubbornly. "I want Dad!"

"But Dad's on his business trip," Brendon says, trying to reason with his nine year old daughter. Out of all the things she picked up from Ryan, it had to be his stubbornness.

"Dad puts me to bed every night," Rose states matter-of-factly. "You're not allowed."

Brendon does everything in his power not to roll his eyes. "Rose, you're nine years old. Maybe it's time-"

"No!" she cries, and then her eyes start watering and her bottom lip starts trembling. "Dad always does."

"Shhh," Brendon coos, pulling his daughter in for a hug. "Shhh, don't cry baby girl."

"I want Dad," she sobs, pushing her face into Brendon's chest. Brendon adds Thoroughly Clean Work Shirt to his never ending list of things to do. He's going to have to soak the snot off it later, and probably iron it again. He has others though; ones Ryan left clean and pressed before he went away. Cleaning this one can get pushed back a priority.

"How about this," Brendon offers, "I try and call Dad on the phone, so you can talk to him, okay?"

Rose nods into his chest, and pulls back slightly. "Okay."

"Let me go find my phone," Brendon whispers, and gets off Rose's bed to go wander his house.

He almost goes and asks Ginger to call his cell for him, but he finds it on the kitchen counter after a couple minutes. He also adds Clean Kitchen Counter to the list, and underlines it a few times in his head.

Ryan answers with a worried, "What's wrong?"

Brendon scoffs, "why are you assuming something's wrong?"

"It's one in the morning, Bear," Ryan deadpans.

"Over by you!" Brendon says. "It’s only eleven here."

"Alright," Ryan yawns. "You still didn't say why you called."

"Rose won't go to sleep. You need to talk to her, because apparently, I'm not allowed to put her to bed," Brendon explains.

"You just put her to bed?" Ryan asks.

"No, I did not just put her to bed," Brendon snaps. "She just won't fall asleep. What kind of parent do you take me for? Everyone was tucked in by eight-thirty, save for Ginger, she was finishing her essay."

Ryan laughs, his voice still sleepy. "Just put Rosie on the phone, Brendon."

Brendon makes a face, not that Ryan could see it, but walks into Rose's room and hands her the phone.

"Dad!" she beams, eyes lighting up and grinning ear to ear. She holds the phone close to her face, and Brendon can't hear Ryan. "Hi...no Daddy's not supposed to, only you...a little...yeah Hobo's okay...Daddy said we could get a goldfish when you get back because Dexter wants one...yeah...okay, miss you too. Love, kiss, hug."

She holds the phone out for Brendon, yawns, and whispers, "Love, kiss, hug, Daddy," before burrowing under her blankets and finally, finally, closing her eyes.

"Hey," Brendon whispers, when he's out of Rose's room. "Thank you."

"Why are you saying thank you?" Ryan asks.

"You got-never mind," Brendon sighs. "I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Couldn't go a day without it," Ryan replies.

"Miss you, Ry," Brendon confesses.

"I miss you to, B," Ryan breathes. "Only a couple more days."

"I know," Brendon grins. After a silence of them just listening to each other breathe, he adds, "Ginger said when you get back she'll babysit everyone so we can have some alone time."

Brendon could hear Ryan smile through the phone. "I'd like that."

"I'll tell her you agreed," Brendon says. "But, it's late now, alright. Get some sleep."

"I love you," Ryan says after a yawn.

"I love you more," Brendon answers.

-

Ryan’s home by the end of November, three days later than planned, because apparently Chicago actually needed to add two more select locations for the book signing. Brendon was upset, for the most part, but what was Ryan going to do? It’s not like he could just say no, even if technically they didn’t really need the money. He at least got to see Bill, and made the guy promise to come and visit because the kids miss Bill and Genevieve, and the duo really, really miss everyone too.

But the book tour’s over, so Ryan’s back home to Pennsylvania, back home to his house, back home to his family, and he’s really tired. Ryan admits that promoting his book across the country and sitting through signings is so much like touring and back stage meet and greets that it’s fun. The only thing Ryan won’t admit to is that it’s so much worse because neither Jon, Spencer, nor Brendon were there. But, when the taxi finally pulls up to his house Ryan smiles and forgets he was tired and lonely because he’s home.

“Dad!” is the first thing he hears only seconds after he steps through the front door.

Eli, with his mop of brown curls and bright green eyes, comes running around the corner and slams into Ryan so hard that Ryan nearly loses his balance, and has to grab the wall to steady them. Eli snakes his arms around Ryan, all lanky limbs, and smiles up at him.

“Hey, Eli,” Ryan grins, ruffling his son’s hair. “How’s it going?”

Eli smiles. “Daddy bought a fish.”

“What kind?” Ryan asks, but Eli doesn’t answer because the twins come jogging into the entryway.

“Move, Eli,” Sirena demands, and Seth tugs Eli out of the way. Both of the black haired, blue eyed nine year olds hug Ryan, and tug on his jacket.

“Daddy’s making cookies,” Sirena smiles. “Come on.”

Ryan grabs Eli’s hand, and the twins drag the two of them into the kitchen. It smells like sugar, and Brendon’s got tweezers in his hand, delicately placing sprinkles on a snowman cut out, reaching around Pepper in his lap to perfect the carrot-looking nose. The two of them are grinning, with playful eyes studying the cookie. Neither of them, not the thirty five year old or the four year old, is ready to willingly admit they are perfectionists, and that sprinkle placement on snowman shaped cookies is not to be overlooked, just like everything else the two craft together. (Ryan still has the card on his dresser that the two made for his birthday the year before, the one that took them three hours and has a very detailed pattern of glitter glue and sparkling flower stickers. It’s perfect and Ryan couldn’t be any prouder.)

Arms wrap around Ryan’s waist from behind him, and pink painted nails are sparking on bracelet covered hands. “Hi Dad,” Carrie says into his back. Brendon and Pepper look up at him then, and both their eyes glow.

“Hey, Carrie,” Ryan greets back, and lifts his free hand to pat hers.

Everything after that happens quickly, and in such a blur that Ryan gets dizzy. Ginger appears, hugs him hello, and then disappears as Rosie comes running down the steps. The sound of small pounding feet and paws rings above him, and Dexter and Hobo file into the kitchen. The dog barks, and Dexter grabs Ryan in for a hug. Jasper appears, as does Nico and Mickey, and soon Ryan can’t tell whose grabbing his arm and asking for his attention.

There’s such a loud chorus of “Dad” being repeated and smiled that Ryan can’t help but compare it to a concert, but he knows this is so much better. Even when he ends up on the kitchen floor with dozens of arms and legs kneeing and kicking him, he still thinks it’s better because this is his family that’s creating a dog pile on his body, and he can’t picture home any differently.