Wolfbane Heart

Big Bad Wolf

“This was a bad idea,” Jude said, looking at the dark forest in disdain. The wind by now had picked up, and she could feel small droplets of rain beginning to make their way into the breeze. “Who am I kidding? I can’t confront some huge hulking guy about being a mythical creature,” she muttered to herself, wanting to slap Stiles for putting the idea in her head. She’d do it later when she got back.

Okay Jude, calm down. You’re here for Scott. Jude felt a reassuring smile appear on her face, and she stepped into the woods. Almost immediately a bush moved slightly to her left. Fuck this! She thought, before scurrying out of the woods again. She quickly walked down the dirt road to her car, before she felt her foot dip down. She looked down, and scrambled back upon finding an abnormally shaped paw print. Jude stood rooted to the spot for a second before shooting off into the woods.

“That bastard,” she growled, stomping over twigs and leaves and heading in a straight line towards where her and the boys had been the day before. Her gaze fell upon the overturned rock that Stiles had picked up earlier and turned left, knowing exactly where she was. She felt her expression harden when she saw the house between the trees.

As Jude came upon the front of the house, she realized that the house wasn’t painted black like she had originally thought, it was charred. The foundation looked as if it could fall over if someone even breathed on it, let alone lived in it. She shivered as a cool breeze drifted through her stolen sweatshirt.

She jogged up the stairs, feeling them creak loudly underneath her. Swallowing back her fear, she pounded on the door with her fist. No answer. Frowning, she slammed her fist on the wood a few more times. Again, there was no sound coming from the house. She growled. There was no way she came all of this way for nothing. “I swear to God Derek, open this damn door! Open it or else-“

“You’ll huff and puff and blow my house down?” A deep voice questioned from behind her. She quickly spun around, and saw Derek leaning against the porch railing, arms crossed casually.

“Actually I thought that might be your thing,” she said, crossing her arms over her chest. He didn’t even flinch at her inference. She sighed and shoved her hands into the pocket on the sweatshirt. “C’mon Derek, I know what you are,” she said, sounding much more relaxed than she was feeling in her mind. She winced as she saw his eyebrows lift from his relaxed position. “Yeah, sorry, I didn’t mean for that to come out so Twilight-y,” she said, and his mouth twitched.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” he answered her, his face set back in its indifferent position.

“Yes you do, and you need to help him. He can’t keep his emotions in check, and shifting seems to be killing him from pain,” she said, keeping her face impassive as she threw in the white lie about shifting. Almost instantly Derek’s face was inches from her.

“He’s shifted already?” He asked, and she heard alarm in his voice. She smirked, locking eyes with him.

“Gotcha,” she whispered, making his eyes widen. She smiled at his baffled expression, as she was sure that it had never crossed his face before. Quickly pulling his phone from his pocket while he was still in a slight state of shock, she typed into it for about a minute before handing it back to Derek, who had returned to his normal state. “Scott’s number and mine are in there. I’m expecting you to contact us at some point, seeing as you pulled us into this mess,” she told him, her words becoming more pronounced and direct as she finished her sentence. Derek wordlessly looked down at the phone before pocketing it.

Jude suddenly realized that his face was still almost touching hers and fought the urge to blush. His electric blue eyes trained on her and he calmly backed away, but not without tensing a bit as Jude’s breath crossed his face. She came back to here senses and slid past him, making her way down the creaky stairs again.

“Hope to see you soon,” she called cheekily over her shoulder. Derek’s intense stare was the last thing she saw before she bolted back through the trees.

She came back upon where her car was, and stopped at the big paw print indented into the soil. She sighed before digging her sneakers into the dip and brushing the dirt around so that the paw was no longer visible. She walked along the path and destroyed all the evidence of an oversized dog even being remotely close to the woods or the Hale residence.

“You so owe me for this,” Jude muttered under her breath, watching as dirt slowly attached itself to her yoga pants. Once she was satisfied with her work, she climbed into her beat up car and shoved the key into the ignition, completely oblivious to the shining eyes watching her from the shelter the trees provided. She peeled out of the woods and headed back towards her house, knowing that it would seem suspicious if she showed up back at Stiles’ house after saying she was having dinner with her aunt.

Jude pulled her car into her driveway, sighing as she noticed that her aunt wasn’t home. Her aunt was never home. She trudged up the stairs to her room and left the door open, knowing that the house was empty and no one would see her changing. She swiftly changed into shorts and a big tee shirt and threw her dirt-covered yoga pants and sweatshirt into the wash so that Scott couldn’t smell Derek on them.

I’m just too smart for my own good. She thought, smirking as she climbed into her bed and drifted off to sleep in the silent house. Bright blue eyes flickered through her head before she passed out completely.