Wolfbane Heart

Phone a Friend?

The sound of honking filled Jude’s ears, making her groan and stuff two pillows over her head, hoping that maybe it would go away in time. After a second or two, the noise continued in a continuous rythme.

“Jude Lana Winters get your ass out here before we’re late too school!” Stiles voice called up. Jude lifted her head up from her pillow, frowning, and glanced at her alarm clock. Aw shit, she had slept twenty minutes past when she normally woke up. She barely had time to sit up before Scott came catapulting through her window. Jude shrieked and tumbled off her bed, making him walk around and pull her up into a standing position.

“C’mon Jude, go make yourself pretty! I wanna get to school today!” He said, impatience seeping into his tone.

“Why the rush Scotty? There a certain girl clouding your thoughts?” She asked, a smirk pulling at her lips as she threw her comforter onto the bed.

“Maybe! We haven’t talked since last night so I’d like to make face to face contact before first period if that’s alright with you,” he said, pushing her towards her closet.

“Last night? You guys were together last night? When? Why? What happ-“ but Scott quickly closed her closet door in her face before she got the chance to ask anymore questions. She quickly stripped and threw on some light wash shorts and an off-the-shoulder light blue sweatshirt so that she could finish the conversation. She quickly bust through the doors and continued. “So spill,” she said, walking towards her bathroom.

“Wellll, she showed up at the vet with an injured dog and I helped her,” he said, obviously leaving out some parts. Jude raised an eyebrow at him while brushing her teeth, knowing that there was more to the story. “And I gave her my shirt ‘cause she was soaked and we talked for a while and it was fun,” he ended, a grin growing on his face.

“Awww that’s great Scotty! Now maybe you guys could be a thing instead of sniffing her from afar,” she said, making him blush and hit her shoulder. She ignored the fact that it actually hurt and flung her backpack over her shoulder, rushing down the stairs after Scott.

“Man that’s record time to get ready!” Stiles said, quickly starting up the engine and driving away before Jude even closed the door.

“I mean it’s a skill. And I’ve become accustomed to it because of all of the impromptu trips we take,” she said, slinging her legs across the back seat. “Oh! How were tryouts?”

“It went great! I think coach might actually put me in for the first game!” Scott said, excitement seeping into his tone.

“Yeah, he was an absolute savage yesterday. Not one ball got past him. It was like he had super senses or something,” Stiles added, making lasting eye contact with Jude in the rearview mirror.

“That’s great Scott! Hopefully Jackson doesn’t give you a rough time.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently Jude had spoken too soon, cause right after school Scott was exclaiming about how Jackson thought he was on steroids.

“He asked where I got my juice! Who calls steroids juice?!” He asked, throwing his hands in the air and making Jude laugh.

“Ummm about everyone Scott,” she answered, making him huff in irritation. Scott seems to be slowly seeping into an exceptionally bad mood as the day wore on. Her, Scott, and Stiles were all going over to Scott’s house to hang out and do homework. Well, she would be doing homework. Stiles had pulled her aside during lunch and declared that they should tell Scott about his apparent wolf genes at his house. She reluctantly agreed, knowing it probably wouldn’t end well.

“Where’s your mom Scott? Aren’t Mondays usually her day off?” Jude asked, frowning at the empty an quiet house as they walked up to Scott’s room.

“Yeah, but Jackie called in sick so she offered to take her place at the hospital tonight,” he answered, slinging his bag onto his bed and settling into his desk chair. Jude shook her head, smiling. Scott’s mom was one of the most caring people she had ever met, and almost never left the hospital.

“I’m gonna use the bathroom, don’t do anything stupid while I’m gone,” she said, winking at the boys and making them roll their eyes. She padded down the hall to the bathroom and quickly did her business and started washing her hands when she heard a commotion coming from down the hall. Frowning, she wiped her hands on a small towel and headed back down the hallway. “You guys aren’t doing anythings sexual in here, right?” She asked jokingly, but quickly halted in the doorway. Stiles was panting against a wall, the desk chair was pushed over along with a few things on the desk, and the window was wide open.

“Scott didn’t take too well to being told that he couldn’t go to a party with Allison because he’s half wolf,” Stiles said, still catching his breathe. Jude’s eyes widened to the point of tearing up.

“You couldn’t think of any smoother way to tell him our hypothesis?” She asked, her voice raising a few octaves.

“C’mon Jude, you know me! Slow and stealthy isn’t exactly my style, I’m more of a quick and bluntly type person,” he said, scratching his head. Jude sighed and rolled her eyes towards the ceiling.

“Careless and clumsy is more like it,” she muttered.

“Hey! I heard that!” Stiles shouted.

“Good! Maybe you’ll learn something!” She shouted back, before looking at the back of the desk chair in alarm. “Ummm Stiles? Do you own a cat? Or maybe Wolverine?” She asked, making him look at her confusedly.

“Jude don’t be crazy, you know my dad’s allergic to cats,” he answered, before backpedaling. “Why do you ask?” Instead of gracing him with an answer, Jude merely pointed to the chair and spun it around for him to see the four claw marks broadcasted on the leather. Stiles’ mouth dropped open and he ran a hand down his face.

“Shit Jude, what are we going to do? He can’t go to that party!” Stiles was on the verge of histeria and Jude bit her lip before speaking.

“I know who we have to talk to.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Why exactly am I driving us to the haunted mansion of Beacon Hills?” Stiles asked, still in shock by Jude’s request for him to drive them out into the woods to Derek.

“Because he’ll be able to help,” she answered simply. Before Stiles could respond, she hopped out of the Jeep and started walking with a brisk pace in the direction she knew would lead to the werewolf’s lair. Okay, maybe lair was a bit dramatic. But that place was spooky. Stiles was too busy tripping over branches and stones to interrogate her any further, much to her relief. She didn’t exactly know how she would explain to Stiles how she found out about Derek.

Oh I just stormed up to his house in the middle of the night in a deserted forrest and yelled at him until I got an answer

Oh yeah, that would go over great.

Jude’s heartbeat picked up when she saw the charred mansion. Oh now she was scared? IN the middle of the day with a witness? But not in the middle of the night all alone with him? God she needed a concussion test. Without thinking twice, Jude bounded up the stairs and knocked on the door.

“Wha- What the hell are you doing Jude? That’s Derek Hale’s house! He’s going to kill us and bury us under all of the leaves! He’s going to burn our bodies in his basement! He’s going to glare at us until we shrivel up and die!”

“Are you done thinking up creative ways for me to kill you?” A voice sounded from the porch, making Stiles spin around in shock. Jude merely glanced up at the man a foot away from her and shook her head, smiling.

“I personally think the last one is the most likely. I mean, you’ve got the most effective glare around town,” she said, making him raise an eyebrow at her, unamused.

“Is there a reason you’re bugging me on my property?” He asked, making Stiles start stuttering out nonsense.

“What? No! Of course not! We were just taking a scenic nature walk, you know? I hear the planet is dying, global warming and everything, so I thought we’d have one last hoorah, you know? We’ll be on our way, not getting murdered and stuff, not that we don’t like-“

“We need your help,” Jude finally cut him off, spinning around to face Derek. He raised his eyebrow at her again.

“And why would I help you?”

“I don’t know, I thought you might like to keep your spirit animal a secret,” she said, shrugging and making Derek glare at her, his blue eyes piercing through hers.

“You wouldn’t dare,” he growled, making her fold her arms.

“No, but Scott transforming in front of half of our grade might create a bit of a stir,” she said, making him tense up.

“Is he close to shifting?”

“Clawed through one of Stiles’ chairs today,” she answered, making him curse and drag a hand through his hair.

“Okay, let’s go find him,” he answered, grabbing Jude’s arm and dragging her down the porch steps. Stiles was looking at the two of them with a mixture of terror and confusion.

“Wait, how do you two know each other?”

“Grocery store,” Jude answered at the same time Derek said,

“Parasailing,” and making Jude snort.

“Gotcha,” Stiles answered, scratching his head. “Wait…. Derek’s a werewolf???”