Status: Unfinished and won't be updated.

Time After Time

Twenty Eighth

Rose was nervous.

She imagined that coming for dinner to meet her fiancé's parents would feel like something close to this. She inhaled deeply as she watched Fraser spoke.

“So, Gus, we spoke about this idea before... the fundraising. Basically, we tell our fans about what happened—I reckon that almost everyone knew it already, but just to be clear and just in case anyone would like to understand what's going on—and then set a webpage where they can donate us some amount of money. It doesn't matter in what currency and it doesn't matter how much. We were just trying to raise as much money as possible because, well, as we all acknowledge, the cost for the surgery is more than just expensive.”

Fraser went on after he sighed.

“But you said it's impossible—we'll never make it in time, in less than two years before our contract with the record is finish. So you left, just like that. And we're completely understand that you were angry and sad—I mean, come on, we know you. But for around half a year since you left, we've collected this much money. There's around three hundred thousand people has already give their money to us... for nothing. They just want you to sing again—they just want us to make song and perform again.”

When Fraser told Gustav the amount of money they have collected, Gustav's eyes were widened.

“That's a lot of pounds,” he mumbled.

“Well, to be fair, we have a lot of brilliant fans,” Ben smiled. His smile was copied by Fraser, Si and then Ben.

Gustav laughed in disbelief, “Fuck. I wish I could thank all of you to death.” His voice was trembling and Rose could see that he just loved his friends so very much.

“Now, what we do is we seek people who would like to donate as much as possible. We also work by ourselves. Any work, really. Part time, casual, playing music—anything. We still have, let's see... around sixty three percent to go and we will do anything so we can get the money,” Fraser went on.

“Anything,” John said. There was seriousness in his voice.

“What do you say, Gus?” Si smirked.

Gustav laughed. He looked like he wanted to cry but he tried to endure it.

“It's great, isn't it, Rose?” Ben looked at Rose, who had tears in her eyes just by seeing Gustav looked like he was about to cry.

Rose nodded, sucking her tears back so she wouldn't cry.

“The reason why we want you here is because you are the reason that Gustav now listens. We understand that he was angry, very angry and very sad—we were sad as well. But, you know, him being a leader, being the person who worked hardest in the band... well, it must be hard for you just to accept that you can't do anything anymore, right, Gus?”

Gustav nodded slowly.

“I didn't want to listen to them,” he closed his eyes and sighed deeply. “It was impossible—I'd say it was improbable. There are so much money to make and I know there would be so much pain that you guys need to get through in order to obtain such amount of money... I put you in pain once—with the fact that I can't sing anymore. I don't wanna put you in pain anymore. I can't do that again. So I left. So you guys can live a happy life. Let me go and maybe find a new vocalist...”

Rose stared at their faces as Gustav spoke. She could tell that the guys were disgusted by that idea.

“You know, in case you haven't noticed yet, we don't want that at all. You are Young Guns, Gus. We are, too. We're together, no matter what,” Ben sighed.

Gustav smiled a weak smile.

“I know. That was me before Rose knew everything,” he stared at her and she winced again. No one had ever stared at her in the way he did and it was so meaningful, so intense that Rose Lette knew she did something great to him. “She told me to stop run away,” there was a pain in his eyes because he didn't want to take his eyes from here, but he did, so he could stare his best friends in the eyes.

“Well, we...” he sighed, before he stared at her again. “What happened exactly, that night? I... uh...”

Rose understood immediately that he couldn't tell his friends properly at that moment, so she took his place, “I told Gustav that you called, Ben. But he said you shouldn't. And I sort of... I think he was running away. And what's worse was that he didn't only hurt you guys, but also himself—he was the one who get wounded the most.”

She swallowed before she continued.

“It was quite a night. I remembered I shouted at Gustav then and he shouted back,” she chuckled. “He said I know nothing, and yes, I knew nothing, but I also knew that he was hurt. So I told him to have some faith in you guys, because... because you are his best friends. And if you love someone, you will hold their hand through an upcoming storm. It will hurt both of you, but what matters is the trust that you give them—because you love them and you think they're precious enough to be taken through difficult circumstances in your life.”

There was a silence following her words.

Even Lestat was sitting on the floor in silence. No tail shaking, no heavy dog breathing—nothing. It was like he was also listening.

“That... was one of the coolest shit I've ever heard,” said Si. His expression was telling that he was completely amazed.

“I agree,” Fraser nodded. “Well, we don't really think about it the way you do, Rose—but that was still brilliant, by the way—but, Gus, we're your best friends. We'll get together through this. What's the worst that could happen? We don't get the money, maybe, but we're still your friends, even though you can't sing anymore.”

John stared at Gustav, “It's okay, Gus. Really.”

Ben nodded in agreement, “Yeah. It's okay.”

Gustav stared back at their friends. He was full of affection for them. “Maybe you guys aren't as idiot as I think you are,” he snickered. Si giggled, “Well, you're the leader of the idiot, so that makes you the biggest idiot of us all.”

“Yeah... leaving us just like that. Who do you think we are? Do you think we'll just give you up like that?” Fraser smirked.

Gustav laughed.

Somehow Rose thought that he was laughing so hard so he didn't need to cry because he was just so touched by the guys.

He stood up, “Here, let me give you guys the official idiot hug from idiot band leader.” Rose was the one who cried when she saw five of them hugging each other, that then ended up with shouting and shoulder punching, just like on the airport. She wiped her tears before anyone noticed.

What happened next was amazing. The guys showed Gustav the fundraising website where more people has donated their money since yesterday (“It's just feel great, you know, you sleep and the next morning you find out that some people had donated more and more,” Ben said).

“And also,” Fraser smirked, “The other reason why we come here is not only to visit you and enjoy the summer and whatever, but also to work. You know how European's economy isn't very good lately. Australia has better economy at this moment and this means more money to get.” He stared at Rose, “Alright, Rose, you're the only Australian here. Can you help us to get job, any job—preferably something that has relation with being in a band? Playing music or so...”

Rose nodded. Everything had never been this crystal clear for her before.

“I will help you guys to get the best job possible.”

Gustav snickered, “I don't know that you guys are this smart—going to Australia for extra money in place with better economy.”

“Well, we're going to be thirty at some point, y'know?” Si snickered as well.

“It's not over yet,” John said. Even though his intonation was almost flat, Rose could see that he was on fire. “It will never over unless we stop trying to help you, Gus.”

Gustav laughed. He jerked his head towards Rose and announced, “I'm such a lucky bastard to have friends like them.”