Status: Unfinished and won't be updated.

Time After Time

Fourtieth

It was ten in the morning. Everyone had shower and breakfast. They sat on several couches in Gilbert’s living room while Rose was walking inside the room, talking to Michael Jones-Andretti who looked like a model ready to walk on a runway compared to Young Guns who were obviously tired and sleepy and rather messy. Gustav knew he was not supposed to try look better in this kind of situation because it was childish, so he was glad to know that Michael himself was also quite pissed—even though he obviously didn’t want to show it—because Gustav and his best friends had spend weeks with Rose.

The half-Italian man smiled, though.

He smiled a professional smile and told everyone the things they need to do before going back to England after he sat on one of the couches. Gustav listened to what Michael said, but his eyes were on Rose; because she was trying her hard to look happy that they finally going to heal Gustav’s singing ability, but then she looked sad whenever she thought no one was looking at her.

So you think we’re going to leave you alone and just go back to England without you, huh?

Gustav heard his own voice in his head and he felt that he was slightly offended by the fact that Rose thought so low of him and his friends. Why would she think they would just dispose her like a dirty, used pair of gloves? How many times people in her life had been dump her, not wanting her, so that now she would still feel the same?

As an addition to his offence, Gustav knew that Michael would probably the only happy person in the whole world if Rose didn’t join Young Guns back to England. That, he thought unhappily, is another reason to make it obvious to Rose that she has to go. How could she not? She’s the whole reason why I’m going to have that precious surgery.

After the briefing by Michael was done, Fraser was the one who speak among Young Guns, and Gustav was only half-listening. He felt kind of scared right now, because he was so close, so very close, to the thing that was going to end his suffering; his disability to sing.

It felt strange.

Fraser was still talking in the background, but his voice faded away and Gustav was once again on the Kingsford-Smith Airport in Sydney, on that very day, alone and was currently trying to exile himself from the fact that he used to sing in a band called Young Guns. He was alone and he would give up anything to be able to sing again. He was desperate and he knew he never felt that miserable in his whole life.

His whole life was nothing but darkness.

And then she came.

Rose Lette came into his life.

She was so unfamiliar yet kind the first time he met her. She had no idea who he was and the only thing she knew about him was that he was so sad. Empathy must be something big for the red-haired girl, because she could feel his suffering so much she cried for him.

And it was so very surprising how he could feel relieved because someone cried for him.

For him, for someone who was absolutely nobody.

Gustav then became friend with Rose and they started to get to know each other. Even after Rose knew who he was, her attitude didn’t change. But if Gustav thinks about it, Rose always behave the same towards another people; gentle, loving, appreciating. She’d be overjoyed because one little smile people had because of her. She’d be happy if that new, gloomy neighbour in front of her house would smile a little—and look what she has done now.

Because of her, Gustav was going to get his surgery. It would save Young Guns’ career. It would save more and more people who are affected by Young Guns.

But Rose Lette didn’t meant to do any of those.

She just wanted his sad neighbour to smile.

That was all.

When Gustav thought about this, he was filled with amazement and adoration to the girl who was now speaking with Michael Jones-Andretti. Of course he liked her, but even if he didn’t like her, he’d still admire her for such a sincere kindness she gave to everyone without thinking.

***


Later that night, Young Guns spent their night by going out to bar in order to celebrate their return to England. Rose went to Angela’s place and had dinner. She went home first and she was reading book when the guys went home, drunk and messy. Everyone went straight to their beds, but Gustav stayed. He was only slightly drunk, but he was drunk nevertheless. The most unusual thing was he could still think clearly when he went to Rose to at least tell her good night.

She was tidying the guys’ shoes and then locked the front door when he came to her.

“Oh, Gustav,” Rose said, turning around and smile. “What is it? You’re not going straight to bed?”

She came closer to him and he gazed down at her.

“Are you feeling not good? Do you need something? Water? Aspirin?” she continued to ask.

Gustav didn’t answer. He just stared at her and then he slowly brought her into his arms. All without saying a word. And then, out of nowhere, he just felt like crying, so he did. He sniffled and sobbed and he didn’t feel ashamed or uncomfortable. It was weird because his face felt hot with all the tears, but he felt very warm to cry in her arms. Rose stroked his back repeatedly and didn’t say anything as well.

There were so many things he wanted to say.

He wanted to thank her because her little kindness had turned his life upside down. But he also wanted to ask for her forgiveness because he would probably unable to repay that debt forever. On the other hand, he was in love with her, but he was still so powerless and he didn’t know what would happen in the future. He was also afraid that after his surgery was done, he wouldn’t be able to be with her again and that fright him very much.

There was still so much more he wanted to say but he couldn’t say any of those.

But even though he didn’t say anything, not even a word, he knew that his feelings, all his gratitude and apology and love and worried—everything had reached her.

They end up in Rose’s house, Rose’s bedroom, where she cuddled him up and he never felt more safe before.

Gustav cried himself to sleep, to the thought that Rose was strong. She was so strong in her own way. He might be think that he was strong, or Simon was strong, or John was strong, or Fraser was strong, or Ben was strong, but Rose was strong too—and maybe she was stronger than all of them combined together. The guys were hard on the outside—all men are, Gustav believed—but inside, they were still fragile, sensitive, human beings who were full of feeling.

Rose was the opposite.

On the outside, she was probably the gentlest person anyone would ever know.

But on the inside, she could carry not only her burden, but also everyone’s burden and help them get through hard part of their life. Inside, she was very strong, even though she might not realise that.

And Gustav, oh he was so lucky to meet her, to be saved by her, to actually know her and had her in his life.

He knew he couldn’t be happier, despite whatever happened, happening, and is going to happen to him.

The almost thirty years old man let his tears dropped again before he nuzzled into her, her protectiveness, and for the first time since he was told that he wouldn’t be able to sing, Gustav Wood was free.

He was thoroughly, completely free.

***


If there was one thing Gustav could thank God for because of Lestat’s death—even though it was very hard for him to be happy about it—was that Rose was finally acting like she needed people in her life. Of course the dog’s death hit her hard. Very hard, he must add, because the Samoyed was the only constant living creature in her life for quite sometime. On occasional, random moment, she would do better things, smiled more at everyone.

But Gustav, oh, Gustav was special.

She’d hug him when the guys weren’t around, so those moments specially belong to them. Sometimes she hugged him from the back, sometime from the side, sometime from the front as she whispered, “I’m so glad that you are here.” And in moments like that, Gustav knew that she was sad and she was showing her fragility. He’d hug her back, feeling like the most important human being on earth, and loved her with all his gestures.

“I know, Rose. I know. I always know. But I’m sure you also know that I’m so much more than glad that you are here—in my life.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Author’s Note: Such a short chapter, I know, but I want to update (and I'll probably make smaller chapter but more often. What do you guys think? Let me know).Thank you for all the reader, commenter, subscriber, and recommender. Shout out to MelissaIsAce and WhispersInTheTrees for commenting on the last chapter! Sorry that there's no teaser for this chapter. It's rather unfortunate that I'm too busy for making one. I'll see you on the next chapter!