Status: Just A Working Idea

All Good Fun

Prolouge

I woke up groggily to my screaming alarm clock. I hit it off and slowly made my way to the bathroom. I looked at the mirror and inwardly sighed at my reflection. I took in my plain-Jane self. My black hair fell limp to my waist, my stomach poked out a little bit, as I wore a size ten, and my faded green eyes took in the scar that ran from my eyebrow to my jawline on the side. The scar Jack gave me. Every time I saw it I wanted to scream and curse on his grave for giving it to me. I hated the way people looked at me everyday as I walked down the street.

I quickly stormed from the bathroom, before I got too angry. Jack was never right in the head, and now I couldn't believe that I had ever felt anything that man. He had always said he loved me then just left me cut and ragged in the mud. I wiped at my tearing eyes and headed to my room to get dressed for work.

*A Couple Hours Later*

I had been staring at my computer screen sluggishly for the last twenty minutes. I almost yelped in surprise when a steaming hot cup of Joe was placed in front of me. I clutched my chest, and looked up to see a laughing Jade. I gave her a stern look, "Ms. Evens, did you just try to kill me by scaring me with a gift?" We both busted out laughing at that. When we had finally calmed down I looked at my friend, "Thank you."

Jade looked at me, "Girl, you've been sittin' at that computer screen for the last hour, lookin' like you want to fall asleep."

I laughed. "I didn't get a good-night's sleep last night. Guess I've been restless lately," I said shrugging.

"Well, Hun, you better take some time off tomorrow and just chill."

"Okay, Jade, I will."

"Promise?"

"Promise," I reassured her. She gave me a once over before leaving. I gingerly sipped at my coffee, wincing at its bitter taste. I shook my head, and tried to at least get started on my paperwork.

**

I pulled my jacket tighter against my body, as I stepped out of the office and into the chilly autumn weather outside. As I waked home to my tiny apartment, I wondered if my life was going to get better. Maybe I could get out of my dead end job and actually find some work I would like to do. I shook my head at the thought, there wasn't really anything I was good at doing, and my job now paid the rent. I didn't need to lose my security for some mid-life crisis. Besides, could you even have a mid-life crisis at twenty-two.

I reached my apartment building and opened the main door, and was immediately meet with warmth. "Cold out there, huh," asked Jason, the guy who lives across the hall from me.

"It is bit cooler than usual," I said walking to my P.O. box. Grabbing my mail, which consisted of bills and junk mail. I turned around to see Jason holding the elevator for me. A blush crept across my cheeks as I hurried into the elevator mumbling a quick thank-you.

"No problem," he said as he pushed the button for floor forty-four, making it lit up an ugly dying yellowish color.

I was caught by surprise as he grabbed ahold of my hands. I would've snapped at him, but the worried expression on his face made me pause. "W-what's wrong, Jason?"

"Promise me you won't go out at night."

"Why not," I demanded, pulling my hands from his grip.

His eyes grew stony. "The Joker escaped from Arkham Asylum today. It's just a matter of time before he makes his first kill."

"O-okay, I won't go outside at night."

"Thank you," he said, as the elevator signaled we had reached our floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't like my old story for the Joker. So here another shot at one.
~Sammi