Can't Escape This

Chapter Two: Foretelling What’s to Come

10 years later

Jasper and Alice stood together in the main room of the family house, holding each other’s hands. Alice was letting her visions come to her, showing her what to expect for the future. She was distracted, and Jasper could feel her tension at whatever she was seeing. Frowning, he touched her cheek with his free hand.

“What do you see?”

Alice’s gold eyes cleared as she looked at her husband. “I’m not sure. It’s all confusing me.”

“What do you mean?” Jasper asked, brushing a finger down her cheek.

Alice’s eyes locked on his. “I keep seeing you with someone else. Someone from your past.”

Jasper’s face hardened for a moment, and Alice could see the man he use to be. “Maria?”

“No, she won’t be bothering us again anytime soon,” Alice reassured, her eyes going distant as another vision came to her.

Jasper’s face softened at her words as he waited for her eyes to clear before speaking. “Tell me what you saw?” he whispered, worried about her.

“It’s hard to describe. All I see is the woman. She’s looking for you. She’s from your past. That’s all I know. All I see,” Alice explained, sounding frustrated.

Jasper frowned for a moment. “What does she look like?” he asked, trying to find some information about the woman searching for him.

“Blond hair, red eyes, wears a wedding ring, young, pale skin,” she said, looking at her husband confused. “She’s obviously a vampire. Any vampires who would look for you besides Maria?”

Jasper shook his head and ran a hand through his blond hair. “No. Only Maria.”

Alice nodded and released her husband’s hand to walk to the window and look out. “She should be here soon, within the next hour.”

Jasper’s gold eyes were locked on Alice’s back, confusion on his face. She was hiding something from him. “What are you hiding, Alice?”

Alice closed her eyes and kept her back to Jasper. “You’ll have to make a decision,” she whispered, being as vague as possible.

“About what?”

Alice looked at Jasper and frowned. “You’ll find out soon enough.”

Jasper walked over to her and took her face in his hands. “You know who she is, don’t you?”

Alice nodded and touched his chest, lightly. “She’s someone you thought died years ago,” Alice whispered, looking away. “Someone from your human life.”

Jasper removed a hand from Alice’s face to run over her short dark brown hair. “My human life?” he asked, curiously. When Alice nodded, Jasper tried to think of the woman from his past, but only one face came to mind. The face of the woman that he once loved more than life itself. The one woman that he had broken a promise to.

When the sound of a knock came on the door, Jasper looked at Alice. Neither moved towards the door, afraid of what they would learn when the door opened. Emmett, walking out from the kitchen, looked at the two of them.

“If you two are too busy to answer the door, then go somewhere private. I must say, however,” Emmett said, opening the door as he finished his sentence, “it’s about time you showed her passion, Jas.”

Emmett turned to look at the vampire outside the door. “Can I help you?” Emmett asked, confused.

“I’m looking for Jasper Whitlock,” a voice said, bringing Jasper back in time.

Emmett looked at Jasper and Alice, curious. Alice stepped over to the doorway where her adopted brother was. “Why?” Alice asked, already knowing the answer.

“I’m his wife.”