Anything But Ordinary

Chapter Two - Maniac in the Alley

Liam’s life as he knew it had come to an abrupt halt on the night of my eighteenth birthday. Now, he no longer smiled, no longer laughed, and no longer spoke voluntarily. He was a tortured old man at the age of twenty-eight.

Jace took me to see him once a week, but it didn’t do any good. My brother didn't even know me anymore, and it was my fault. Liam had gone looking for me that night, when I hadn't come home. The four days he was missing had seemed to drag on forever, and in a way they had never ended. I had changed almost as much as he had. When the cops found him, he was a bloody, incoherent mess. He was unable to give them any information that could have helped them, except that he was constantly, to this day, murmuring 'He's coming.' The case had gone cold. They'd stopped looking. Liam was no longer the brother I'd always known, and it was all because of me. That knowledge had weighed heavily on my mind ever since, but I knew if I told anyone, they'd tell me that I was being ridiculous, that I couldn't have prevented the maniac from ruining Liam in the prime of his life. But if I had just gone home when I was supposed to, Liam wouldn't have been out looking for me. This wouldn't have happened.
Abruptly, my arms were bent back painfully – “magic” hands out of service. The cigarette fell from my lips as I gasped, and it burned my leg on the way to the ground. Eyes widening and heart racing, I felt the scratch of a beard against the side of my throat.

“Hello, my pet.” The voice resonating from the man holding me was high-pitched and hoarse. I threw a kick aimlessly behind me and made contact, happier than ever that I was wearing high-heeled boots. “Don’t fight.” The man said, shoving me roughly. My head hit the brick wall behind me with a crack, and I could soon feel warm blood pouring down the back of my neck.
Blinking away the brightly colored spots that had appeared before my eyes, I inhaled a lungful of dank air and shrieked, as loud as possible, “HEL--”

And then the man slapped a hand over my mouth, cutting off the sound. He took out a knife, the blade sparkling in the dim light. I began to whimper uncontrollably. Tears filling my eyes and starting to spill over my cheeks, I frantically shook my head at the man. Please, don’t do this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello, again! Here's chapter two - predictably short. I'd love to hear what you think of it!
<3KT