Anything But Ordinary

Chapter Four - It's Over... Right?

“Eva!” His long arms wrapped around me automatically, and he held me close. “Shh, baby, it’s okay. What’s wrong?”
Hysterical, I was unable to explain; I just pulled away and showed him my gory hands and arms. “He’s still out there!” I screamed.
“Oh, my God, Eva,” Jace whispered, grabbing my shoulders and looking in my eyes. “We have to get you to the hospital!”
I shook my head vehemently. “He’s still out there!” Pointing toward the door I’d just come through. “Jace, call the cops!”
“Who’s out there? Who did this to you? I swear I’ll show him who not to mess with!” His eyes were wild.
“Jace, no! Just call the cops, please.” I sobbed.
“Okay, okay.” He wiped my tears away and then pulled a chair over, gently pushing me into it. “I’m gonna call 911. You just sit still for a minute, baby, you’re losing a lot of blood.”

Something soft and warm was wrapped around my shoulders. A coat. Looking up, I smiled at my friend William weakly. I’d forgotten he was there. “Thank you.” I murmured.
“Sweetie, what happened?” He asked softly, sitting down next to me. I couldn’t answer. I just wept harder, gasping for air, until he pulled me close. He rubbed my arm, shushing me like I were a child who’d just gotten my first shot at the doctor’s office. “It’s over. Shh. It’s over.”
But was it?