Ye', I'm the Loud One

A Cup of Tea

Bella

I roll over my bed, nudging Shadow on her arm before deciding to get up. Her eyeliner is smudged down her face and she makes an I'm-about-to-cry-and-regret-last-night face. I smile, even though she is anything but awake. My feet touch the warm carpet bellow me, my toes playfully dancing in between it's long strands. I walk toward my dresser, getting out a pair of leggings and a t-shirt and neatly placing them beside my nightstand. Last night was anything but peaceful. Shadow made me hit the loudest club near this town and we didn't get home until around six.

Not that we drank until we barfed or anything. That's all Josh and the rest of the guys. I always make sure I'm sober enough to take them all home. Shadow's like my twin. We've been best friends since before my first memory, and all she's done is be there for me. Even when I pushed her away. She stays over sometimes and borrows my clothes. I guess those are the perks of being the same size. But she's awfully afraid of sleeping alone and so she sleeps on my bed. I walk out of the room and toward the kitchen, tip toeing around the now cold tile floor until I arrive in front of the stove. I put some herbs for tea in a pot and turn on the coffee maker. I've always been the coffee girl and Shadow sticks to tea. She's hyper enough.

Speak of the devil.

"I'm awake, I'm awake!" she says, walking with her eyes closed and stretching as she nears the kitchen. She places her face on the wooden table and fakes a snore.

"We seriously can't go out with Josh anymore," I brake, pouring myself some coffee in my favorite mug and preparing hers.

"I know, the dude's insane. Always drunk, drunk Josh. That's what I'm gonna call him from now on. He says, 'Oh, let's go out and dance. Then we'll come back for a movie and some Chinese.' But he takes us to a club and makes me drink." she says, imitating a male voice.

"The drinking is all on you," I laugh, "And you were as big a part of it as he was."

"How dare you!" she yells, quickly regretting it and covering her forehead.

I pour her tea onto a clean winter inspired mug, passing it to her as she sits down and widens her eyes to it's smell.

"Thanks, mom." she says. I laugh before she takes a sip out of it and sighs.

+

"This can't be happening." Josh says, facing Dan and I as he looks at his phone.

"What is it now, eh? Jasmine go out and bang another one of your mates?" Dan questions in a less than fashionable way. Not that she even does that.

"I don't know him, but she's dating some guy now. Max said he saw her at the club before we left. He said he looked way out of her league. And according to him, they've been together for over a month now. He's a Yankee."

"Is any guy in that trick's league?" I ask, sighing and going back to my computer games.

"Don't call her that. We broke up on good terms. Plus, she's ya' cousin."

"Ye', is that what ya' thinkin', eh'. Don't forget that she dumped you because you wa' too...different than her," I say, frowning as he glares at me.

"Josh, chill out, eh? You know Bella always bumped heads with Jasmine. It's a jealousy thing. You can't expect her to be all jumpy about her afta' she broke your heart."

"I won't even say anything now."

Josh tosses his phone on the couch and throws himself beside me, taking most of the space and resting his head on my lap.

"You're gonna make me lose." I yell.

"Screw it. Hey, Shadow, come here for a second." Josh practically screams. Shadow comes running, fresh out of the shower with her towel still wrapped around her.

"What do you want?"

"I need a favor. How 'bout we act like we datin' so that Jasmine can get a load of it and crap her pants?"

"You're still drunk?"

"Come on! I mean, I ain't too bad lookin' and either a' you. What do you say? It'll just be for a few days. But it can't leave this group. So everyone make pretend it's true."

"It'd be like datin' your sister." Dan says.

"Come on!"

"Fine. But only for a few days. Don't get yourself thinkin' this is a long term thing. Find yourself a real girlfriend afterwards."

"Okay, not a problem."

"You're really stupid, Shadow." I say, rubbing my face and smacking Josh who starts nibbling my legs. That pervert.

+

I park my car in front of aunt Linda's house, stepping out and making my way toward what must be one of the worst days of the month. Every month aunt Linda decides to make a dinner for all the family. And if we don't attend, she says it's disrespect. So I try to be there even though it means bumping into Jasmine.

I walked up the stone steps, doing my best to ignore the sirens that pierce my ears. I ring the door bell, waiting for an answer.

Oh, what joy. None other than Jasmine answers, wearing a librarian-like outfit and glasses. She allows me to pass, not saying a word until she shuts the door behind me.

"I need to speak with you," she says, taking my hand in hers and pulling me aside, "I know we're not the best of friends. But I want to give you a warning. Mum's gonna ask you a real deep, almost annoying question tonight and I don't want you to feel pressured to answer it in a way they would feel it be positive only because there's other guests. But I do want you to know that I need your help. Just know that." she leaves me with that, letting go of my hand and walking away with what appears to be a tall tattooed lad.

I take a deep breath, taking in her words. It's been months, maybe even a year since I speak to her. We've always been competitive. But before we at least had the decency to love each other. Since Josh and Jasmine went out, all I could do is hate her for acting like an angel when in fact, she isn't. I don't try to be sympathetic toward her. She's the kind of her who acts sweet to get what she wants. And even though I know her tricks, I fall for them. I'm like a stupid mouse; I know every trick in the book, yet I go for that cheese.

I walk into the dinning room, hearing nothing other than my name being yelled out in a loving way by my family. My mum gets up, walking toward me and kissing me on my cheek.

"We need to talk, come with us," she says, taking my hand and pulling me into the kitchen. Jasmine and aunt Linda stand beside the stove and my mother closes the door.

"Hi, darling," aunt Linda says, pulling me into a tight hug, "Why don't you have a seat?" I sit on one of the plastic, green chairs they have and Jasmine sits beside me.

"Well, Linda and I have been talking. We're taking a cruise." my mother speaks.

"Oh, that's great. For how long?"

"A few months."

"What? How can a cruise last a few months."

"Um, see, the thing is we're taking the cruise and then we're going to stay at a hotel. You know Linda won that prize during the winter and she combined a few coupons so we decided to take a long vacation."

"Wow, that's-that's cool. When do you leave?"

"Next weekend."

"Mum, you waited until now to tell me?"

"Sweetheart, Linda invited me this past weekend. I hadn't a clue she was taking us. But that's why we've brought you here. Jasmine will be staying with you." the first half is an obvious lie. Linda and my mom are closer knit than a sweater and she tells her everything. But the last bit catches me off guard.

"W-what? What do you mean? Why can't she stay here?"

"Because, sweetheart, I'll be locking down the house." Linda says.

"Jasmine is twenty years old. She can take care of the place on her own."

"You know how I am about this house. I wouldn't let my own husband care for it. So for a few months, Jasmine will stay with you. You have two guest rooms!"

"One, Shadow lives with me. And every once in a while the guys do too."

"Yeah, well send them home. Jasmine is going to pay her part of the rent for as long as she wants. Don't forget who helped you get that little apartment. Family comes before anything else."

"Not when family is Jasmine."

"Hey, I never did nothin' to you. What happened was between Josh and I so suck it up."

"You're really helping your case here, Jasmine."

"She's staying with you and end of discussion!" my mum yells.

"You can start packing tomorrow. Have what you're taking with you ready because the house will be off limits." aunt Linda finishes.

I sigh, getting up and walking out of the kitchen, slamming the door behind me.

"Oh, sorry." a boy says. He's about six foot 3 and has a chest tougher than a rock.

"It's alright, that's my fault," I say, running past him.

"Hunny, where are you going?" my pop asks.

"Ask mum and aunt Linda."

I walk out of the house, getting into my car and driving home as quickly as I could. How on earth am I going to have Jasmine in my home?
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?
It's dedicated to this hot chick.