Ye', I'm the Loud One

The Girl With the Long Brown Hair

T. Mills

I sigh as Jasmine departs from me. The first girl I meet in England and the only one who can help me right now. She's a sweet girl. Has beautiful, dark, long hair and outstanding eyes. She's quiet. Always in a corner reading a book or drinking tea. She doesn't go out much, she likes to stay in and cuddle. Some guys would think it's cute and that she's the ideal girlfriend, but there's a part of me that doesn't seem happy with her. She likes talking about her ex a lot. Something inside of me tells me that she's just using me to get back at him.

Whatever it is he did.

But in a way, I'm using her too. I don't know my way around. I basically left my life behind to start fresh in a place where I can't tell a dollar apart from a pound. Jasmine just appeared the first day I got here, about a month ago, and I sort of stuck with her. She's too clingy, I'll give you that much. At first it was comforting to know that there was someone who had my back. But she's become jealous too quickly. Especially when I keep on mentioning a girl I saw before I met her. That's all on me, though.

She has long brown hair. She walked around with sweats and a snap back without a care in the world. She smiled at everyone that passed by her. It was sort of breathtaking for some reason. But she didn't notice me. I felt like stopping her and asking for her name, but I'm not that kind of guy. Thank goodness Jasmine came up to me. I would've been lost without her.

"My mom is having a dinner tonight. You should join us," Jasmine smiles, pulling on my shirt and kissing me once more.

"She won't mind? I mean, I'm already sharing this room with you."

"She thinks we've decided to move in together. Don't worry. She likes ya', they all do." I pull away, making my way toward the bathroom. Her mom is a sweet soul. But I can tell she doesn't trust me in this house. I don't know if it's that the house is huge and filled with expensive things, or that my tattoos intimidate her, but I overheard her letting Jasmine know not to let me alone in the house.

I start undressing to hit the shower. It's been a long day.

+

People are arriving. I stick by Jasmine's side, even though her uncle is desperately wanting to know the story behind all of my tats. He too has quite a few. The door bell rings again, I make my way toward the living room since Jasmine is walking there. I hate starting conversations. An awkward silence comes upon Jasmine, as if the meanest chick has just walked in.

A girl with dark long hair walks in, passing through Jasmine who quickly pulls her aside. She whispers something but I turn my back.

That's her. The girl with the long brown hair. That's her. The one without a care in the world. Jasmine finally takes my arm in hers and we walks me into the dining room. But as soon as I don't feel awkward again, she disappears.

"So, what are the ones on ya' hand?" Jasmine's uncle asks.

"Oh, these?" I ask, looking at my knuckles, "Dah' - um,"

"Don't worry, son. I don't bite. Someday we'll have a great conversation," he laughs and another man, around his same age, follows.

After listening to a story I decide to go in and find Jasmine. The same girl with the long hair collides hard with my chest.

"Oh, sorry," I say, holding her shoulders to see if she's alright.

"It's alright, that was my fault." she runs past me and yells something toward who I guess is her dad. That means Jasmine and the girl with the long brown hair are cousins.

Just my luck.