Love is Blind

Callie Martin

My arm ached with pain but I forced myself to hold my tray a little higher. It wobbled for a second, the five remaining champagne flutes shaking on my tray before settling. A soft sigh of relief fell through my lips and I forced a smile as I reached another group of self-absorbed businessmen. They barely acknowledged me as I passed, something I couldn’t have been more thankful for.

Earlier in the evening I managed to get roped into a conversation with three different businessmen who were walking by themselves, undoubtedly to find some colleagues or a girl to hit on. They were nice enough but I did catch their eyes dipping to my chest on more than one occasion and after little to no sleep last night I wasn’t in the mood to fight off creepy perverts.

Returning my now empty tray to the server’s station, I closed my eyes and leaned against the wall. My back was killing me and my feet felt like they were going to fall off. Standing against the wall with sweat coating the back of my neck I now remembered why I only agreed to help out my best friend’s mom with her catering once in a blue moon. These events were intense and we all couldn’t just be good, we had to be great. Caroline’s mom was practically world-renowned.

“You alright, Callie?”

My best friend Caroline was staring at me with concern written all over her face. I gave her a small smile and nodded.

“Yeah, my feet just hurt and I’m kind of exhausted,” I admitted before forcing out a soft chuckle. “And Soph is going through this thing where she likes to wake up every other hour so, you know...”

Caroline nodded before glancing over her shoulder. I could tell she wanted me to get back out there but she was torn between being a great friend and being a boss. To save her the trouble, I pushed off the wall and grabbed a fresh tray of hors d'oeuvres and headed back out to handle the guests.

After three rounds of walking through groups of chatting people I was back in the kitchen grabbing another tray, this time full of champagne flutes. I steadied the black tray and held it high before backing out of the door. I wove through talking guests, avoiding the errant hand of the loud man waving them about as he spoke before tripping over my own foot and stumbling to the ground.

My remaining champagne flutes crashed to the ground with one of them spilling down my back. The room seemed to go completely silent; I could feel hundreds of eyes on me. Before I could move to pick myself up, arms settled underneath my shoulders and I was lifted to my feet. The person behind me guided me not to the server’s entrance but out the front door. Confusion setting in, I finally turned to look at my rescuer and gasped when I noticed the curls and expensive suit.

Harry Styles was my savior. Harry Styles, the guy who ordered tea from me every morning in the café at the luxury apartment complex he was staying in. Harry, the guy who was always leaving way more than necessary in my tip jar. The cute, green-eyed, brown-haired boy that made my stomach fill with butterflies in a way that I refused to acknowledge, a way that I told myself I would never let get to me ever again. A shiver ran down my spine at the thought as we reached the outside.

“Are you alright?” Harry asked as I propped myself up against wall next to the door.

“Yes.” I nodded. “Thanks but you probably shouldn’t have done that.”

Harry shrugged. “I’d been watching you for a bit.” He laughed and shook his head. “Is that weird? Sorry.” He shook his head again and let out another laugh. “But you looked really out of sorts and some guy standing close by looked like he was going to say something.” Harry trailed off and shrugged.

I could feel my cheeks heating up. My gaze fell to the ground and I fought the urge to smile. He’s a superstar, he’s probably nice to all the girls. “Well, thank you,” I offered after a few moments of silence. “Are you having a good time? I didn’t mean to steal you from your friends or anything.”

“The event is boring,” he admitted as he hopped up onto the railing. “But it’s for a good cause. So you have two jobs?”

“Kind of,” I shrugged. “More like I’m helping out a friend but it was a bad idea because I’m exhausted.”

Harry nodded as he moved his curls out of his face. He was looking down at the street and I took the opportunity to study him. He was so beautiful up close. Pouty lips, great hair and a dimple that could launch a thousand ships all by itself; it wasn’t any wonder why millions of girls were in love with him all over the planet.

I ran my fingers through my blonde bangs as we continued to stand in silence. It was beginning to get a little awkward and I found myself itching to head back inside before I did something stupid like ask to touch his hair. One Direction isn’t my kind of music but the guy is absolutely gorgeous and that hair looks like it’d be something great to put your fingers through.

“So,” we both started at the same time before laughing.

“Ladies first,” he said as our laughter died down and I shook my head.

“I was just trying to fill the silence,” I admitted. “This is kind of awkward.”

Harry nodded. “Yeah,” he agreed. “We’re better in the morning.”

“Yes,” I laughed. “I’m generally a better conversationalist when I’m handing people tea.”

Harry opened his mouth to speak but before he could get anything out the door popped open and Caroline’s head peaked out. Her eyes flitted between Harry and I before she completely stepped out.

“Are you okay?” She asked as she moved to stand in front of me. “We need you back inside.”

“I’m fine,” I nodded, “I just needed some air, I guess.”

“Okay, well, let’s go,” Caroline said as she headed back for the door. “Two minutes.”

As soon as she was back inside I gave Harry an apologetic smile. “Well, as much as I’d prefer to stay out here and be awkward with you work calls,” I said with a laugh.

“And as much as I’d prefer to stay out here and be awkward with you my mates are probably missing me.” Harry grinned and I shook my head.

“Of course they are,” I laughed, “you’re their glue. What would they do without you?”

“And what would your fellow servers do without you?”

“Probably have more glasses.”

Harry and I laughed. I inched towards the door and tried to hide my frown.

“Thank you, seriously,” I said as I reached for the handle. “I really needed the fresh air.”

“The pleasure was all mine,” he said with a wide grin. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Actually it’s my day off so you’ll see Val or Ken instead.”

Harry frowned and shook his head. He looked like he was thinking about something, like he was arguing with himself. I pulled open the door and was about to leave him with his thoughts but his hand covered mine as I did.

“Wait,” he murmured. “We have a free day tomorrow as well. Can I see you anyway?”

I opened my mouth to say no but a ‘yes, I’d like that’ came out instead. Harry smiled and I fought the urge to take it back. Sophia floated through my mind as he took out his phone and asked for my number. I pushed her out of my head and gave it to him, reminding myself that this was the first time in a long time that I actually did something for me and not for someone else. After he sent me a quick text to give me his number I forced myself to head inside and go back to work. I could regret my decision later while I tried –and failed- to go to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Amanda again. I hope you're enjoying this so far!