Status: still writing, but most of it is finished.

The Lawn Boy

Chapter 6 Part 1

I know how hard it is to tell your parents, especially when you only live with one, but I knew that Asher would feel a lot better if he just told his dad. Then again, I’m not gonna push him to do anything he doesn’t want to.
“You can go home now, Ash. I’ll be fine.”
“Are you kidding me? I’m not leaving you. Nope, just call me nurse Asher, because I’m not leaving your side.”
“If you baby me, I’m never gonna get better. I’m not even that bad.”
“You can barely walk.”

Once again, a knock came to the door. It was Ashley again.

“Max, Jamie’s here. He says he wants to see you.”
“Well, tell him that I don’t wanna see him. I can’t even move.”
“I thought you said you were okay,” said Asher.
“It’s just an excuse, Ash. I don’t wanna see Jamie. I’m not in the mood. And you were the last person I thought would want Jamie to come up here.”
“I don’t.”
“Well, what do you want me to tell him?” Ashley asked.
“Just tell him I’m sick and he can’t come up.”
“I heard that.” Jamie walked into the room.
Asher got up from the bed and walked to the other side of my room. I saw him looking out of the window. Ashley left and Jamie walked in.
“What the hell happened to your face?”
“It’s a long story. I’m sorry about what I said. I’m just not up for visitors.”
“Asher’s here,” said Jamie.
“Asher’s my boyfriend.”
“But he’s still a visitor.”
“Quit the smart remarks, Jamie. I told you before. I’m with Asher. Just quit this bitter, sore loser act.”
Jamie walked to my bed and sat down close to me. “You want me, Max. I know it.”
Before I could answer, Asher pushed him off the bed. “Get away from him. He said he doesn’t want you.”
“Asher, stop,” I said. “There’s been enough craziness today, don’t you think?”
I got out of bed painfully.
“Max, I thought I told you not to move,” said Asher.
“Isn’t this sweet,” said Jamie.
“You’re doing one hell of a job of winning me over, Jamie,” I said sarcastically. “You just need to go.”
“Right, I should leave you two lovebirds alone. Oh, and Asher, I forgot to tell you…your dad just hired me. So I guess we’ll being seeing more of each other.”
Jamie left and Asher’s mouth was agape.
“Shit, Max, what if he tells my dad?”
I knew this was a plausible worry for Asher, but I had to make him feel better. “Ash, he won’t. He’s after me not you.”
“Exactly. He knows that he can get to you through me.”
“He wouldn’t do that, Ash.”
“And you know this how? It’s not exactly like you and Jamie are the oldest of friends.”
“Just calm down, Asher.”
I took him and I kissed him on the cheek. I could tell he calmed down a little, but was still worried. Not too long after, he was completely calmed down. He was back in bed with me and we were joking around. Then, my mom came in and she asked the routine question.
“Max, what the hell happened to you?”
“You might as well give up, Mrs. Train. He hasn’t answered anyone yet. I’ve gotten used to it already.”
“I’m okay, mom. That’s all you need to know.”
“Do you need some ice for that eye?” she asked.
“No, Asher got me some earlier. It should be fine now.”
“You take care of him, Asher, okay?”
“You can count on me, Mrs. T.”
My mom smiled. “Good, are you staying for dinner?”
Asher looked at me and smiled. “Sure,” he answered.
“Okay, I hope you like salmon,” said mom.
“Yes, I do,” said Asher.
“Great, I’ll see you boys later.”
My mom smiled and left, closing the door. I kissed Asher on the cheek and he blushed.
“Your mom really knows that I’m your boyfriend?”
“Yeah,” I said. “She’s totally cool with it.”
Asher smiled. “Do you think my dad would be cool with it?”
“I don’t know, Asher. I’ve only met him once. But I can tell you one thing. He’s for sure not going to like it, if it comes from anyone else but you.”
“So you do think that Jamie would tell him.”
“I don’t know, but on the off chance that he does, you need to be the one to tell him first.”
“I think I’m gonna call him,” said Asher.
“You can’t tell him over the phone.”
“No, I’m just gonna say that I’m staying here for dinner.”
“Oh,” I said. “Okay.”
“I’m gonna tell him tonight.”
“Are you sure?” I asked. “You can only come out when you’re ready. If not it can be pretty disastrous.”
“I’m sure. I don’t wanna hide anymore, and…I really wanna introduce you to him the right away, as my boyfriend.”
I couldn’t help but get butterflies in my stomach. I could feel my whole face flush and he kissed it away.

* * *

“I don’t get it,” said Ashley at the table, talking to mom. “Anytime I bring home a guy, you give him the third degree. But Max, a boy, brings home another guy and you invite him to dinner?”
“You bring home delinquents, Ashley. Max, however, has brought Asher home and he is a very nice boy.”
I looked over and saw Asher blushing and Jack rolling his eyes.
“Am I the only one who thinks it’s fucking weird that Max brought home a guy?”
“Jack, watch your mouth,” mom snapped. “You don’t speak language like that in my house.”
“Mom, come on now. Max is gay. GAY. Are you seriously okay with this?”
“Jack, he’s your brother. Why wouldn’t I be okay with it?”
“I don’t know. It’s, like, gross.”

We hadn’t even finished our salmon yet and Jack was making both me and Asher uncomfortable. Silence fell upon the table and I thought maybe it was time for me and Asher to leave.

“Um, we’ll be in my room,” I said.
“What about desert? I made cupcakes.”
“That’s okay,” I said. “Come on, Asher.”
“Don’t let Jack scare you off.”
“It’s okay,” I said. “Asher, could you help me out?”
Asher got up and helped me up.
“Jack, apologize to your brother.”
“Mom, he shouldn’t have to apologize. It’s what he feels. He needs to stick to that.”
Asher didn’t have to help me up the stairs this time. I was already getting better. He did, although, have to help me onto my bed.
“I think I should go soon. My dad’s probably worried.”
“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, okay.”
“What? You shouldn’t go to school like this. I can’t be there to make sure you’re okay.”
“I’m fine Ash. I can walk by myself now and by the morning I’m sure I can even get out of bed by myself.”
Asher looked at me skeptically. “Okay, but promise me that if you have any trouble in the morning, you won’t come.”
“No, I can’t promise you that.”
“Excuse me?”
“You heard me. I don’t make promises that I can’t keep.”
Asher smiled at me. “I guess that I’m just gonna have to accept that.”
“Yup,” I said with a smile.
“Shit, you’re drop dead even with that eye.” Asher leaned in a kissed me, but a soft knock came to the door, which was still open.
“Sorry for interrupting,” said Shane, walking in.
“Hey, Shane,” I said.
“Hey,” he said. “Your mom called my mom to vent and we came straight over. Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said. “It’s no biggie.”
“I wish you’d stop saying that,” said Asher.
“It’s true,” I said.
“Look, I’ve gotta go. I’ll probably see you tomorrow, even though I don’t think you should go.”
“See you tomorrow. If not, I’ll call you.”
Asher left, not saying one word to Shane. Shane brought the desk chair to my bedside. He sat and looked at me for a second.
“So, who did this to you?”
I took a deep breath. It was time that I finally told someone. “Don’t tell anyone, Shane; especially not Asher.”
“Fine. I don’t get it, but fine.”
“It was Brenda’s brother.”
“The jock?”
“Yeah, and now he’s got all his little jock friends after me. That’s how I got this beauty,” I said pointing to my eye.
“Max, I know that I’m not your favorite person right now, but you’re still my cousin and I’m worried about you.”
“Why?”
“If you don’t do something about this, they’re just going to keep coming after you. If I know Brenda at all, she’s not gonna stop and neither is her brother.”
“I’ll take it. Asher is worth it.”
“Max, it’s starting to sound like you love him or something.”
“And what if I do?”
“Whoa…”
I sighed. “I know. I’ve never loved anyone that wasn’t family before.”
“I’m so sorry, I know I haven’t treated your relationship with Asher with as much respect as deserves, but I just felt left out.”
“I’m not gonna say I understand your decision, because I don’t. I just don’t wanna be arguing with you. You’re my cousin and I want us to get along.”
“Listen, I’ll do what I can to help you out. I still have some pull with Brenda.”
“I don’t want you to go out of your way.”
“I want to. After what I put you through, I owe you.”
“Thanks, Shane.”