Hiding in Your Eyes

Chapter Two: Enchanted

Standing in the darkness of his barn, Clark watched the house of the woman that he had loved for many years. He was surprised to know that she had moved into her old house next door to the farm, but he also knew that she would go to the one place she had ever felt truly happy. The house that made her the girl next door was the one place that Clark knew Lana felt peaceful. The only problem Lana would have is having Clark so close.

He didn’t know why she had moved back, didn’t really want to go to her to ask. Chloe knew, of course, because Chloe and Lana were best friends. Lana would tell Chloe right off that she had come back to town, but would have asked her not to tell him. Chloe called Lois though, since they were cousins, but she hadn’t been aware that he would hear their conversation. The conversation that troubled Clark more than anything has in a long time. Clark closed his eyes and ran a hand through his black hair.

He had saw the little girl. The girl that looked like Lana. He didn’t have to ask to if she was the girl’s mother. All you had to do was look at the little girl. Lana’s little girl. Clark frowned at the realization. He was confused about how to handle the fact that Lana had a child with someone. Lana had loved someone else enough to have a child with them.

Clark looked to the house where she was know tucking the young child in and watched them for a moment. She was a good mother. He always suspected she would be though because she was so good when they had raised Evan for those few days that they were lucky enough to have him in their life.

He watched Lana kiss the young girl’s forehead before walking out of the room and heading out to stand on the porch to stare out at the moon. It surprised him to see her like that again, the girl next door with her long, dark brown hair hanging down her back, staring up at the moon above her, letting it wash her in its milky beams.

Clark’s breath caught at the sight. It surprised him that she could steal his breath again. He knew that he hadn’t fully gotten over her yet, part of him knew he never would. A small smile curved his lips when he remembered the first time he saw her like this. Freshman year of high school, she had stepped out onto her porch to watch the stars and moon in the sky, and Clark had been captivated by the sight, until Whitney had showed up and released him from the spell he was under.

It had taken a long time for Clark and Whitney to become friends, but they respected each other before Whitney left for war. Whitney had trusted Clark to keep an eye on Lana, and Clark had for him. Clark had kept Lana safe even after they had found out that Whitney had died in battle. Clark respected Lana’s ex-boyfriend who had given his life for his country.

Now Clark could just watch her, without guilt. He watched her for a few moments before walking to her house and stopping just outside the lights of the porch.

“Who’s there?” Lana called, stiffening when she saw a shadow move.

“It’s me,” Clark said, watching her. “I heard you were back.”

Lana looked at him and walked of the porch towards him. “Did Chloe tell you?”

“No, I overheard her tell Lois.”

Lana looked away and frowned slightly. “Did you come to ask me why?”

“I don’t know why I came over. It just happened.”

Lana watched him. “Do you want to come in?”

Clark nodded and walked out of the shadows and over to her. “You got rid of the Kryptonite suit?” he asked, sounding confused as he realized he didn’t feel pain.

Lana nodded. “Yes, I finally found a way to get rid of it.” She opened the door to let him in, and Clark walked in and looked around.

The small house that Lana had grew up in looked nearly the same. Lana had used a lot of the same decor that her aunt had used to make the house a home. Clark smiled at the similarity in the home to the way it was. “It looks like it use to.”

Lana nodded. “Yeah, I wanted it to be like that. This was the only place that ever truly felt like home. Living with Chloe and at the Talon wasn’t bad, but I always missed it here.” Lana smiled a little at the memories of her happiness in this house before looking to the room that held her little girl.

“You have a daughter,” Clark whispered, looking at her.

Lana turned to look at him, surprised and then remembered that he had x-ray vision. “Yes. I have a daughter. Her name is Laura, in honor of my mom.”

Clark gave her a small smile. “She looks like you did when you were little.”

Lana smiled a little. “She has her father’s eyes though.”

Clark nodded, not wanting to discuss the little girl’s father. He still didn’t want to think about Lana with another man. Couldn’t think about it.

Lana walked over and opened the fridge, pulling out a beer. “Want one?” she asked, without really looking at him.

Clark thought about it and realized that he could use one right now. “Sure.”

Lana pulled out a second beer and handed it to him, trying to ignore the awkwardness between them. It was hard talking to him without thinking about what they use to have, what they use to be to each other. She wanted to know about Lois, wanted to know if things were good between them, but she knew she shouldn’t ask. She may not like the answer that came with the question.

“How are things with Lois?” she asked, despite the warning.

Clark looked at her. “She told me she wanted to take some time apart. The duel personalities are getting to her. She needs time to readjust to them.”

Lana nodded, surprised to find that she liked that less. It meant that he’d be getting back together with Lois soon, and Lana would have no right to interfere. She hid a frown by taking a sip of her beer.

This was going to be an interesting conversation, she thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and/or subscribe.