Status: Partial Co-writer credit goes to my friend Ben Neuwirth

Vaticide

Wreaking A Little Havoc

VATICIDE
(Narrator)
In history the world has faced many terrorist attacks. During the years 2000-2020, terrorism escalated reaching new levels due to severe conflicts around the globe. 911 was just the beginning of tragedy. Ever since the destruction of the World Trade Center, people feared mutual events in the near future. For a while things settled down and stakes weren’t as high. But soon a seed of disaster was born. A man lost everything, an anger that burned inside him was something no one around him understood. He was angry in his bones. And there was only one thing that he desired, Hell on Earth.
(Narration Ends)

(SCENE 1)
June 23 2020, Transantarctic mountains, Alaska. In a chamber located at the very center of the mountain, two men stand in front of a 20ft tank filled with greenish grey liquid. Then a man enters wearing a black trench coat. He’s tall with jet black hair.

Adam Gregorovich
Hello, Dr. Ivannikov, Dr. O’Brian.

(Both)
Sir… Mr. Gregorovich.

Dr. O’Brian
Your travels were joyful I hope.

Adam Gregorovich
Yes, indeed… (He glances around and walks towards the tank)

Dr. Ivannikov
Sir… this is the poison that you requested, Strychnine?

Adam Gregorovich
Yes… yes. (Looking back at both doctors) You included every ingredient?

(Both)
Yes, sir.

Adam Gregorovich
You left nothing out? Made no mistakes?

(Both)
no, sir.

Adam Gregorovich
Good... good. I will need much more. The plan that I have conspired will require a large quantity. And after all of it is made and your job is done, burn the evidence.

Dr. O’Brian
But sir, what if more is needed? If we dispose of everything, it’ll be incredibly difficult to produce off book! We won’t be able to remember the ingredients, the instructions that you supplied us with are much too complicated to remember!

Adam Gregorovich
Doctor, you haven’t the slightest idea of the enormous amount of information that the mind can hold within its branches! And the reason why you must get rid of all the evidence is so it will not fall into the wrong hands. This business is so unscrupulous that the odds of that happening are far too great to put something as huge as this to the flip of a dime!

Dr. Ivannikov
Will it stay here? Or will we export it to another location?

Adam Gregorovich
Yes. This one stays here, that is why you will make more. There are several other locations that I will place it in.

Dr. O’Brian
What locations?

Adam Gregorovich
Everywhere, that way the message I send will be heard and quite well understood.

Dr. Ivannikov
What will the circumstances be?

Adam Gregorovich
The circumstances will be great. This will be the worst hell on earth. The deleterious effects will be so catastrophic, that one-day atrocious chaos will rouse in the corrupt minds that this world is burdened to play host to. The glory that I have always been denied, waned by the greedy bastards who have managed to bask themselves in success, it will grant me that.

(SCENE 2)
6 months later, Friday December 2, 7:45 pm. In the NYPD office Cops and detectives sit lounged at their desks, salvaging through paperwork. A woman named Alex Connors skims through files and reports. Noticing reports of usual day-to-day crimes that take place in the city. A new file suddenly pops up. It is titled “POSSIBLE ACTS OF TERRORISM: ALASKA”

Alex Connors
Hey Brendan, come check this out!

Brendan, a co-cop/detective and friend of Alex’s comes from his desk.

Brendan
What have you got there, Alex?

Alex Connors
This report was just filed in Alaska. They’re under suspicion of terrorist activity. According to the report, a phone line conversation was monitored, two men by the names of Ivannikov and O’Brian. They have a recording right here….

Alex clicks on the recording:

Dr. Ivannikov
Hello? O’Brian? Are you there?

Dr. O’Brian
Yeah Ivannikov, what’d you need?

Dr. Ivannikov
I’m worried about what will happen when Gregorovich releases the poison… his plan… we shouldn’t have made the strychnine for him. We both know how this will end.

Dr. O’Brian
Ivannikov shut the hell up! We shouldn’t be discussing this outside of the lab. Adam Gregorovich is a dangerous man, feared through the eyes of many. Not to be trifled with. If we don’t obey his orders… that I promise you will end badly.

Line cut off. Brendan and Alex look at each other fearfully.

Brendan
Alex, I think we’re in trouble.

(SCENE 3)
8:00 PM, Brendan arrives home. Tired from a long day’s work he takes off his coat. Overcome with worry and shock pertaining to the recent news he closes his eyes trying to relax before heading off into his living room to greet his family. Then after thirty seconds he walks somewhat calmly into the living room where on the black cushioned couch his two daughters watch television.

(Both)
DADDY!!!!!

They both spring from the couch to hug their father. Brendan kisses them both on the cheek.

Brendan
How are my little girls?

(Both)
Good!!

Brendan
How was school today?

Destiny
A boy said he likes me!!

Grace
And I like a boy!!

How wonderful, Brendan thinks.

Brendan
Where’s your mother?

Destiny
She’s in the kitchen making dinner.

Brendan walks through a hallway, the aroma of cheese diffuses through the thin arch doorway leading into the kitchen. Brendan enters, seeing his wife mixing cheese in steaming pot.

Brendan
Smells delicious.

Emma
Hey!

She smiles coming forward giving him a kiss.

Emma
How was work? You look exhausted!

Brendan
Work was good….

Brendan deadpanned, vigorously trying to hold back all the stress digging in his mind.

Emma
Any new exciting cases? (Enthusiastically)

Brendan
Um…. Uh… just the usual… nothing huge…

Emma
Are you okay Hun?

Brendan
Yeah, I’m fine. You know what a hard day’s work can do to you. (Grinning a little)

Emma, knowing her husband all too well throws him a look of tiny suspicion. Brendan feeling very uneasy and frightened his wife might see through him…

Brendan
(Yelling) DESTINY! GRACE! DINNER TIME, WASH YOUR HANDS!

(SCENE 4)

Wednesday December 5th 2020, in Alaska. Dr. Ivannikov watches television draped over by a fluffy blanket. The doorbell rings and Ivannikov freezes, paralyzed because he knew who was at the door. After the doorbell rings two more times he forces himself to rise from the safety of his warm comfy blanket and slowly goes to open the door. Outside standing in the freezing Alaskan knee high snow is Adam Gregorovich in his black trench coat. The astounding anger engulfing his face stings Ivannikov’s eyes and sends a cold chill up his back.

Dr. Ivannikov
Hello sir… what br---

Gregorovich bombards himself past Dr. Ivannikov into the heavenly heated house.

Adam Gregorovich
Would you like to explain to me what has happened, or should I?

Dr. Ivannikov, terror beaming in his eyes, stares completely dumbstruck.

Adam Gergorovich
Well then, Thanks to your little telephone conversation, the police force now has promising knowledge and audio evidence that we have made a poison that we will be releasing somewhere. Now I am hoping that every batch has been made and exported to its specific location.

Dr. Ivannikov
Yes sir…. And I cannot simply express how deliberately sorry I am for my actions. I take full responsibility and it will never happen again!

Adam Gregorovich
Oh yes, I know it won’t…. because I am done with you.

Gregorovich grabs Dr. Ivannikov by the neck in a chokehold.

Dr. Ivannikov
(Slowly choking) Sir… please… I’m sorry…(Fading away)

Adam Gregorovich
You see, I no longer have any need for you. The work is done and soon this world will crumble… You along with it.

Dr. Ivannikov
But… I helped you… this isn’t fair….

Adam Gregorovich
That is the thought of a child. This world hasn’t the seed of fairness. You give them what they wish for and in return they give you… disappointment.

Gregorovich snaps his neck with a swift torsion.

(SCENE 5)
3 days later, Saturday December 8th 2020. The police thoroughly search the home of Dr. Ivannikov for any evidence leading to Adam Gregorovich’s plan of terrorism.

Police Officer #1
Officers we are searching every inch of this house for any video/paper document evidence that will lead us to the location that the poison is concealed.

Police Officer #2
Why aren’t we interrogating Adam Gregorovich? Couldn’t we just get him to spit out the details?

Police Officer#1
You obviously know nothing about Adam Gregorovich. Files say that he is a man who plays hide and seek for a living. His whereabouts haven’t been known for years. And even if we caught him we wouldn’t have him for long. He’s a man with a plan.

Police Officer#2
And what about Ivannikov? Where is he?

Police Officer#1
If Adam Gregorovich had anything to do with it… dead. He has no loose ends, and considering that Ivannikov spilled the beans, Gregorovich must have been pretty fucking pissed. You know there’s a nickname we have for Adam Gregorovich.

Police Officer#2
Which is?

Police Officer#1
Dracul Torsion.

Police Officer#2
What does that mean?
Police Officer#1
Dracul as in Dracula. Whenever he acts it’s in the darkness and he always leaves a puddle of blood. And torsion because that’s what happens to his victims. He twists their necks. It’s his classic trademark.

Police Officer#3
(From the second floor) Hey, I found something!

All the officers gather on the 2nd floor in Ivannikov’s office room. The main officer looks through many files until he finds it.

Police Officer#1
Jesus Christ….

Police Officer#2
What? (peering down at the file)

Police Officer#1
(Looking up at all of them) We’re in for some real shit men.

(SCENE 6)

Sunday December 9th 2020. 9:00 AM. Brendan lays in bed with his wife Emma just waking up.

Emma
(Yawns) Morning, today’s your day off right?

Brendan
Yeah, I’m planning on taking the girls downtown. Maybe get some ice scream. What about you? Have any plans?

Emma
Uh I’ve got some paper work, grading, and I have to call up Barbra to set up a playdate for the girls and her son Henry.

Brendan
Henry? Is he one of their classmates?

Emma
He’s in Destiny’ class. Nice boy; Barbra says he talks about Destiny all the time. He’s got a cute crush. (smiles)

Brendan
How nice…let’s see what’s on the news…(presses T.V remote)

Broadcaster
Hello, I’m Salina Benford and this is your 9:00 news. Just discovered yesterday in a small town in Alaska was the shocking evidence of a terrorist plot lead by a man known by the name of Adam Gregorovich. Who’s been on the run for several years. Over the years he has caused minor incidents on different parts of the globe. Now the police force in Alaska has searched the houses of the two accomplices, Dr. Ivannikov and Dr. Jerry O’Brian, who have produced over the last half of this year…(nervously announces) poison… this poison is called strychnine.

Brendan’s whole body paralyzes, the air entering his nose is cut short. He slowly turns to Emma, whose eyes stare endlessly at the screen. Astounding fear embarking in her face.

Broadcaster
…The police have in the past 24 hours done extensive research in this plot. They have reported that the poison has been placed in every location on the planet. We are all incredibly shocked for this has never happened in the history of terrorism. According to evidence, the circumstances for the release of the poison into the atmosphere would be indeed too great to avoid… For whoever inhales it will… suffer to almost immediate death...

Emma
Brendan…(Tearing up)

Brendan rubs his face, not able to fully grasp the nature of what was happening. The tremendous surreal shock of the news strikes him bluntly in the head, which throbs relentlessly. Taking a deep breath in, focusing on the racing beat of his heart he tries to slow it down so he can speak clearly without a stutter.

Brendan
Emma… it’s... gonna be... okay… don’t… don’t

He cannot manage to eject the word ‘worry’ from his tongue for he knew how mendacious it would be. He looks at her once again, scoots close to intimately embrace her. Rubbing her shoulders in a soothing massage.

Brendan
Everything is going to be okay! I promise…

Brendan slips in his words, struggling to make such a blind promise. For all it would be is meaningless foam.

Emma
What about the girls? We can’t let…(heavily crying) anything happen to them… and I… can’t lose you (Hugging him tightly)

Brendan can’t help but let the tears roll down. He knew well that the police wouldn’t be able to search each and every place for the poison... not in time.

Broadcaster
…The police are ordering a city wide evacuation…

Brendan
Where are we supposed to fucking go? The God damn poison is everywhere!!

Brendan yells at the television screen.

Broadcaster
…The police are aware that the poison is being held in several spots in every location across the globe and that according to pencil hand sketches will be set off by a trigger. The trigger is most likely in possession of Adam Gregorovich at this moment. Millions of police officers and detectives have embarked on search for Adam Gregorovich. And until he is found, the citizens of this city and every other are being instructed to leave their homes and board cruise ships and other boat vehicles to stay on the borders of the sea until the police forces can get this all sorted out. But we do assure all citizens of this city that there is no need to worry, we promise we will not let a terrorist have the best of us.

Another blind promise… Brendan thinks. The police had no idea how they could track down all the poison before it was too late, Gregorovich could pull the trigger at any time….

Brendan
We have to get going… now!

Brendan says finally pulling himself together in action mode.

Emma
What’re we going to tell the girls?

Brendan
We’re going to tell them…. That we’re going on vacation… a cruise. You guys are going to get onto a ship and I have to stay here and do my job and stop that son of a bitch before he pulls that trigger sending all human race into a goddamn frenzy!

Emma
No! I’m not gonna let you stay when there’s a possibility that the trigger could be pulled at any time!

Brendan
Emma….

Emma
Don’t Emma me! YOU’RE NOT STAYING!

Brendan
EMMA I’M GOING TO BE FINE! Stop screaming! The girls might hear!

Emma
Say you’re not staying!! Say it!!!

Brendan
Fine! Fine! I won’t go… goddamn… I’ll get the girls going.

(SCENE 7)
On The west side of Manhattan, more than 10 cruise ships dock as millions of New Yorkers wait in huge crowds as lines slowly move boarding the boats. Every citizen anxiously waits to get away from the island. Brendan moves swiftly through the crowd with his family as he sees his co-cop/detective Alex Connors strolling along with her husband in hand. Brendan is about to board the ship when…

Brendan
Emma, I’ll be right back! I need to go talk to someone!

Emma
Don’t try anything Brendan, stay with us and talk to them when we’re boarded.

Brendan
Hun, hun, I really need to talk to my co-worker, it’s important and can’t wait!

Emma
Fine… but you’d better hope you’re back before this ship sets off or….

Brendan
Thanks babe! I love you! (Kissing her) I’ll see you girls soon! (Quickly kissing them on the cheeks)

Brendan sets off into the crowd looking for Alex. He knowing well of his audacious plan to abandon his wife, but also believing that all the trouble would be swept under the bridge when everything turned out okay… praying with all his might that it did. He finds Alex and quickly bluntly lays everything out.

Brendan
Alex! You need to come back to the office and help me find Grergorovich!

Alex Connors
Brendan, no! It’s a dead end! we’ll never be able to track him down! He could be ANYWHERE right now! Now go BACK to your family, BOARD the boat and DON’T DO ANYTHING STUPID!!

Brendan scowled at her, disappointed and surprised at his own co-cop’s abandonment.
Brendan turns around and walks back his outback and drives quickly off on the sidewalk.

Brendan
No time for traffic…

(SCENE 8)
20 Minutes later Brendan arrives at the NYPD office to shockingly find no cops there. In the lobby NO ONE is at the desk. The lights are off and he can hear his own footsteps clear as day. Going up the 8th floor he steps out of the elevator finding NO ONE there. Entering the office he is most surprised to find NO ONE there.

Brendan
Hello?

He looks around searching everywhere. NOBODY WAS THERE.

Brendan
(Whispering to himself) How could they do this?

Abandoning their city in deep crisis like this…. UNBELIEVABLE.

Brendan
Guess it’s up to me…

He sits at his desk and searches through reports and files for ANY sign of Adam Gregorovich’s whereabouts. For an hour he sits there searching through every major country he can think of, seeking any sign, any brief mention of him. Brendan’s phone vibrates in his pocket, he checks the caller ID: Emma.

Brendan
Fuck…

He doesn’t answer. The phone vibrates again. He ignores. Finally a text pops up. Fearing for his life he slowly clicks the phone bring up the text window which said:

(Text) Emma
BRENDAN BAILEY WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU! YOU SAID YOU’D BE BACK ONCE YOU TALKED TO YOUR CO-WORKER! I KNOW YOU WENT BACK TO THE OFFICE, AND WHEN YOU COME BACK YOU’D DAMN WELL BETTER HOPE HE PULLS THE FUCKING TRIGGER CAUSE I’M GONNA….

Brendan closes the window. His heart beats abnormally fast. He knew how seriously in trouble he was.

Brendan
I damn well better save the world for the audacity I’m repelling….

Suddenly a voice comes from the loudspeaker causing Brendan to jump in surprise. The voice didn’t sound familiar, definitely not from a member of the police.

Unknown Voice
Good evening ladies and gentleman. Today, you are all going to have the privilege to witness the fall of corruption. The cease of all life as you all die at once…

Who the hell was that…? And was it broadcasted city wide… or worldwide?

Unknown Voice
My name… is Adam Gregorovich…

Brendan’s eyes widen in excitement.

Adam Gregorovich
And here I stand atop the highest view of New York City. I stand here holding a trigger. This trigger will release a poison that will engulf the City and the rest of the world, a toxin known as Strychnine. Now, you may be wondering what motives I have for giving birth to such hideous destruction. My father grew up as a child in this city. And for the good of New York he joined the army. He fought for you, he strived only for your well being, yet he was killed viciously for the peace you were never able to make. All of you ‘great’ leaders filled with too much pride to give in are the reason why his soul is now lost... the vast corruption in your hearts sickens me! And now you shall all pay as I take vengeance for my father and give birth to evolution!!!

Brendan rushed at top speed out of the building and to his car. He knew exactly where Gregorovich was: the Empire State Building. He knew that the police force was on their way, but he wanted to be the one to take down the son of a bitch who threatened his city, his family and the rest of the world.

(SCENE 9)
Atop the Empire State building Adam Gregorovich stares along the horizon of the 5 boroughs. He has put on an oxygen mask that covers his whole face, but still he waits until sunset to pull the trigger. He wishes this part of the world, the one that truly betrayed him, to die without sight of the sun.
The elevator opens revealing Brendan in shooting position. He slowly views his surroundings, expecting an attack at any moment. Looking in every direction he finally notices the large man wearing the black trench coat. Brendan spots the trigger intertwined in his fingers. Brendan slowly tiptoes across as quietly as possible to a glass door around the corner away from Gregorovich’s sight. Breathing hard he readies himself for the attack. 5…4….3…2…1!!!!! Brendan leaps into sight pointing the gun for his life.

Brendan
FREEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregorovich looks at him, not a hint of fear upon his face.

Adam Gregorovich (Muffled somewhat)
Ah I see you’ve come to stop me, yes? And who might you be?

Gregorovich comes forward, Brendan pointing his gun still.

Brendan
STAY BACK, STAY BACK, OR I’LL SHOOT!

Adam Gregorovich (Muffled Somewhat)
You are a brave soul, I shall grant you that, but I fear your efforts are worthless. After a trigger has been pulled there is no turning back, no denying it. And I see it in your eyes, you are not an executioner. Now, before I kill you, what is your name? So I may inform the public of your vain attempts to save a world that doesn’t deserve to thrive.

Brendan
Why do you have to do this?

Adam Gregorovich
Why must a King declare war? Because it is simply his duty.

Brendan
Who told you that it was your duty to kill off the human race? Would your father have wanted this?

Adam Gregorovich
My father dreamt of a world without corruption. He wished to cease all pain. Quite selfless motives he had.

Brendan
What makes you think that destroying everything will end pain? It will start a fire of pain!

Adam Gregorovich
My friend you know not the definition of pain! As a child I grew from the dirt beneath our feet. My parents worked vigorously to support me, and when my mother past away my father was broken as shattered glass, and with his death I swore vengeance on this atrocious world!

Brendan
We’ve all lost people that we care about. (Brendan inches closer, gun lowered)
If you do this, so many people will be lost. Ask yourself, do you really want to pour your pain on them? C’mon, they’re innocent people.

Adam Gregorovich
How dare you suggest that those savages behold innocence!! They should suffer as I have! Why should I be the only one burdened with pain!(A small tear forms in his eyes)

Brendan
You’re not! We all feel pain, it’s a part of life. You think that killing will make the world a better place?

Adam Gregorovich
Yes.

Brendan
You’re going to do it alone?

Adam Gregorovich
The people that I have assured safety take refuge in a hidden place. They shall join me once the deed is done.

Brendan
If your parents were still alive, would you be doing this?

Gregorovich says nothing, he stares into Brendan’s eyes with death. Brendan has crossed the line, questioning him to such an extent. He loses his sense of control, the years of pain and depression rushing back into his dead like poison. The feeling he wished upon every human on earth. He starts to laugh uncontrollably, angrier than ever. Brendan takes a step back in fear now pointing the gun again.

Adam Gregorovich
(Laughing) You really want me to tear you limb from limb, I’m going to do that now!

Brendan is about the shoot when Gregorovich charges fast and disarms him, they throw punches at each other. Brendan is forced against the wall as Gregorovich holds him by the neck and stares deep into his eyes.
Brendan
...Please, you’re make a huge mistake....

Adam Gregorovich
No, the huge mistake is yours… now you shall descend to the grave heeding the catastrophic effects of your last failure

The sunset now mystically lingered in the sky, slowly disappearing from the millions of New Yorkers that would never lay eyes upon it again.

Adam Gregorovich
Now, shall we wreak a little havoc?

Lifting the trigger up in the air as if to present to the world, about to pull the trigger when… a gun is set off and Brendan and Gregorovich fall to the ground.

Alex Connors
Brendan! What’d I tell you about doing anything stupid?

Alex helps Brendan sit up;

Brendan (Smiling)
I think I’ve got a new impulse of audacity.

Alex
I gotta hand it to you, you’re a brave man. A dumb-ass. But a brave one.

Brendan
You’ve got that right (laughs)

Brendan
So what’re we going to do now? The poison is still out there. We have virtually no idea where any of it is…

Alex
The first thing we’ll do is lock-up the trigger. No one will ever have access to it.
But for now… I think we can call it a day.

Brendan
Deal. I just hope my wife is gracious… considering I completely ditched her on the boat…

Alex
Don’t worry about it. You’re a hero. She won’t hold a grudge (smiling).

Brendan
Thanks for saving my ass by the way.

Alex
Don’t mention it.

Gets out her phone and calls 911:

Hey, we got him, the cities safe. Make a public announcement that Adam Gregorovich is dead and that the whole city better freakin’ praise Brendan Bailey. He’s one hell of a hero.

Brendan and Alex begin to walk towards the elevator.

Brendan
Thanks for that, on the bright side of all of this... you think I’ll get a promotion?

THE END
♠ ♠ ♠
This is an edit of the original play titled "Urbal Dontal" now titled "Vaticide"