Status: Active

Lovers in Tokyo

There's always something more

On the way back to her apartment, Anna was skipping imaginary stones. She was mentally tired but her body was still fresh. A lot of things happened in one day and a half. She shouldn't have met Nao again. Wasn't their relationship all about one chances? One day, one night, one shot. Why was his father the scriptwriter? Why was the director so fascinated by his pictures? Why were so many links between them? It was annoying but she couldn't help but also feel excited. The guy who managed to stay inside her head for four years was there, next to her. She could just get his number and keep in touch.

“But that would be wrong” She shook her head and ruffled her hair. It was overwhelming. “He’s so annoying” She stopped in her tracks when she saw someone in front of her apartment. He wasn't tall, he looked rich and he was half American. “Chris” He waved towards her and walked over.

“Hey. Sorry if I seem like a stalker but I've been waiting for you for a while. My feet kind of hurt” She rolled her eyes and told him to follow her.

“Welcome to my palace” She mumbled after she closed the door behind him. His eyes scanned the living room fast. However, he had other thinks to talk about.

“I know you’re busy so I won’t take much of your time. I just wanted to know what happened that night. Mizuki doesn't respond to my calls. I'm sure she told you something” He looked pretty anxious. It was amusing. Anna knew she liked to see other people on the edge too much. She wasn't a sadistic writer for nothing.

“Nothing happened. She’s just a scared cat” She walked into the kitchen and started to prepare hot chocolate.

“Isn't a little late for that?” He pointed at the kettle.

She chuckled and poured water in it. While waiting for the water to heat up she joined him on the couch.

“Anyway, if nothing happened, why is she so scared to talk to me?”

"She left because there was an emergency at the hospital. Mizuki is a heavy drinker; she wouldn't do something like that and not remember. She’s scared that you may think she left you hanging. She’s very sensitive and takes everything to heart. Her schedule is complicated. Do you understand my point?”

For a second it looked like he understood but in the end, he shook his head. She was surrounded by naive people.

“If you like her go and surprise her at the hospital” She grabbed a business card from her wallet and gave it to him. “Now the problem is solved” He started to laugh out of nowhere while looking at the small, rectangular piece of cardboard.

“You remind me of Nao”

Anna scoffed and rolled her eyes. She was already getting prepared for another long and appreciative story.

“He usually doesn't act so shy. You know, he’s actually engaged” That was quite big news and shockingly, it matched the whole process of her messed up life. “She’s an awesome woman; pretty too. Quite the catch, you know” He sighed and leaned back. “But he doesn't love her. It’s so complicated. I’m his best friend and I want him to be happy but it seems like he doesn't want to”

One moment she had to give explanations about Mizuki and next, fate was interfering again. It was all so annoying and overwhelming. Why couldn't things get to the early stages, when there was no electricity and no sparkle; just the empty space into her cold heart.

“He’s a nice guy, playful even. You know, once when he was in America I asked him what was wrong with him. His answer was vague. He said that love passed him by and he figured it out too late. It seems he fell in love once and she broke his heart or something. I asked him about her but he just said she was the most unique woman he had met”

“What about his fiancee?” She was somehow getting pulled in.

“Ai-chan is a model. She works in Osaka most of the time. He moved in with her after they got engaged. She has long brown hair, she’s quite small but she gives off a strong aura. You know, now that I think about it, you two look alike” Why didn't that surprise her either? It was all so usual.

Weird things were connecting her to him and vice versa. That was the main reason she didn't want to get into a relationship with Henry: she felt like she was rejecting reality and projecting Nao into him. It seemed that didn't work for him too.

“But you are definitely different. You behave like a foreigner mixed with a Japanese woman. It’s weird but attractive in some way. You two would make an interesting couple. Too bad you haven’t met before, huh?” She gulped. She had to cover her feelings somehow.

“Yeah. Too bad”