Status: Active

Lovers in Tokyo

The truth is

A few hours later, Anna was still very concentrated on re-reading the book and script and comparing them. She knew what she should modify but she didn’t know how. She had a hard time reminiscing that day since the individual was in her house, trying not to fall asleep. She stopped reading and moved her attention on the man. He looked exactly like when she collected him in the morning: messy, tired, ignorant and parallel. She took her glasses off, since she used them just for intense reading or writing, and leaned on her hand, watching the subject.

“Are you still on the first page?” She asked amused. He glanced at her from the script, his eyes having an innocent glint. He wanted to help her, partially, but he didn’t want to do it right in that moment. He still had to work on his project which was still incomplete.

Anyway, he rolled his eyes and threw the script on the table.

“I already know what’s wrong with it. The book contains the bittersweet feelings you had back then. But now, you said yourself that you got over it. That’s why you erased the romantic parts. You feel impartial so Nana’s character became too rough and oblivious” She raised an eyebrow and leaned back on the chair.

“So, what now?” He took a deep breath and prepared himself for what he was going to say.

“My father is right. There’s no true love and no faith into your script. You do need to spend more time around men. You make us look pathetically here” He said while moving around the papers. “In the book Nana is the one who fights to see Taka again. There’s a lot of romance and you even wrote detailed love scenes.” Anna blinked, waiting patiently for him to continue. Seeing how she was still completely calm, he got more courage to speak his mind out. “In the movie, there’s no love, it’s just sex. You make your own book seem superficial. No. You make our story seem superficial.”

For a moment, Nao was sure he hit some sensibility chord into her but when she put on her glasses and went back on reading her notes, he got frustrated. She wasn’t stupid but she simply couldn’t accept the truth. Exasperated, he walked behind her. Anna was somehow waiting to be hugged but that definitely didn’t happen. He started to shake her shoulders, like a kid.

“Wake up! This is not about you anymore! There are big expectations for this movie” He turned her around, leaning ridiculously close to her face. She could feel his breath on her lips. “Maybe you moved on but Nana didn’t and neither did I”

As if nothing happened, Nao went back on the couch and continued being helpless. But, seeing how perplexed he made Anna feel, he couldn’t help but smirk smugly. He was going to teach her a few lessons about feelings and maybe he would use it for personal reasons too.

The sky of Tokyo was getting darker and the clouds were slowly covering it completely. It was going to rain soon. Anna stopped pestering Nao to help after she found him using the script to cover his sleeping face. Instead, she chose to let him be and have a break.

While watching the sky, entranced by the melancholic scenery, she started to think about the past. She started to think about her parents and about her situation throughout time. It was true that her father wanted to teach her a lesson for leaving so simply and without remorse. However, he didn’t. She was their only daughter and she was precious enough for the family anyway. The simple life she started to walk through was her choice. She didn’t want money, fame or any attention; she just wanted to feel fulfilled. That happened in the moment she started to write, being the only way she could escape from reality.

When she heard the phone ringing she stopped daydreaming and turned to the man. She was sure it wasn’t her phone because she had already turned it off a few hours priorr. Nao didn’t even stir. She rolled her eyes and walked closer to him. The phone was in his pocket, unfortunately. For a moment she thought about giving up, but the sound wasn’t going to stop anytime soon. Whoever was calling didn’t seem to have any patience.

Trying not to wake him up, she tried to grab the phone without creating much fuss. Somehow, Nao shifted, making the script fall into his lap. He turned to the right, where she was, and because of the uncomfortable pose he fell asleep in, tried to stretch on the couch. Therefore, he leaned on Anna, bringing them really close to each other. He was practically half over her small body. Getting annoyed, Anna's eyes narrowed at him and simply pushed him away. He fell on the ground, again.

Hearing the man groan, she felt some kind of pride which, sincerely, didn’t last long. He kicked her legs, making her fall over him.

“Aren’t you getting a little too comfortable with me? This isn’t a soap drama. You need magic to make me fall in love with you “She got up quickly and hurried to her room. She slammed the door loudly behind.

Staying behind, Nao started to chuckle while he also started to get up. He was rubbing his eyes and stretching his back, which actually hurt, when the phone started to ring again. That call was somehow awaited.

“What do you want?” On the other side, the person scoffed.

<i> “I’m curious where you have been these days because your room is empty”</i>

Chris wasn’t the type of person who used to get interested into small things. He didn't really care what was happening around him. That was one of the reasons Nao chose him as his best friend.

Chris had been raised differently than most rich guys his age. He didn’t have money to spend on different expensive vacations or accessories. His father was a man who worked his whole life to gain what he had therefore Chris had to show he deserved the money. Becoming the successor of the hotel chain, he showed his father he wasn’t spoiled and wasn’t willing to stay in the dark and with no highly respected reputation. He became a good business man and he made his name known in the world. However, he wasn’t good with relationships. Surprisingly, he got quite enthusiastic about Mizuki and the interest he had for her grew after he watched Nao and Anna.

“I’m somewhere. Anyway, why do I have the honor of being called by you?” Chris scoffed again but started to chuckle soon after. He was amused by his friend’s behavior. It was playful and he sounded happier.

<i>“I’m sorry to announce you Romeo but I need your room. Next week is the medical conference and I need every available room. I’m sure you can find a place to stay, like maybe the one you are in now?”</i>

For a moment, Nao felt worried. He was practically thrown out for a week but thinking deeply, he knew perfectly what to do.

“Fine. I’ll come this week to take my things. See you when I get back.” The conversation ended quite fast but it was enough information. Even if Nao didn’t say much, Chris read between the lines and understood everything.

With one last look in the direction of her room, Nao chuckled and left the small apartment.