Four Hearts, Two Pathways

Sage Foxley

It was the day classes officially started at Hogwarts and all I could focus on was the open practice today for the Quidditch team after classes let out. It wasn’t even breakfast time yet. I was still getting myself prepped and ready for the day as my lovely sister, Juniper began to finally stir from her impossibly deep slumber.

She groaned as she stretched and pushed her caramel brown hair from her face. Her eyes sparkled as I began laying out her robes for her. How we’d managed to convince the Head of Hufflepuff, Professor Sprout to give us our own room, though we weren’t even in the same year ,still baffled us, but we gladly accepted the smallest room as our own Foxley abode.

Juniper rose like she was waking from the dead, her pale hazel eyes looked at my iced blue ones. “Good morning.”

I nodded to her and motioned to her robes on her bed, “Freshly pressed and waiting for you.” She thankfully smiled at me before I moved to our little bathroom. It held a tiny sink and mirror, a toilet and a stand up shower. All in subdued browns and greens, the theme that made up most of the Hufflepuff dormitories. I washed my face, brushed my teeth and moved out of the way so that Juniper could get her turn.

Neither of us were true morning people, but I managed to get by the wee hours better than she did. I dressed myself in my own yellow embroidered uniform and robe and did my make up in the little handheld mirror I kept on my bedside table. I only used basic foundation and mascara, mostly because I was always too tired to truly put myself together. I looked at my hair in the little hand mirror, it didn’t seem like it was going to cooperate today. As a result I brushed through it and pulled it back into a french braid as I waited for Juniper to finish in the bathroom.

I finished the long braid and flipped it over my shoulder with a sigh as I caught Juniper fluffing her straight hair as she stepped out from the bathroom. Her hair, eyes and skin were all flawless and I would have given anything to have her killer confidence as well. “Ready to go down?” I asked as she stepped out and slipped her shoes on.

“Yeah, do you have a free class after lunch?” She asked as we left our little crook and headed in the direction of the Hufflepuff basement. Her nose was buried in her schedule, she was never one to plan or look ahead. I looped our elbows together to avoid being pushed apart in the now crowded common room and pulled over against a wall as I took out my own pressed schedule papers.

I scanned my eyes over it briefly, “Yeah, do you want to go to the library and go over some things for the team?” She nodded absently as her own eyes swept over the room.

The Hufflepuff basement had rounded walls and a low ceiling. There were circular windows that managed to always give the room a happy, sunlight feeling. There were a couple of first-years looking through them at the growing grass and dandelions while other first-years marveled at the many potted plants hanging in copper pots or windowsill seats. There was a group of second and first years surrounding Professor Sprout's newest addition, a small dirigible plum plant hanging lowly from the ceiling.

Juniper and I strolled up to them with smiles on our faces, “It’s like you’ve never seen dirigible plums before.”

One of the first years, a girl with unfortunate case of acne turned to look at the two of us, a bright smile on her face. “I haven’t, can you eat them?”

I smiled gently at her, “Yes, you can, they taste an awful lot like radishes though.” They mumbled to each other, claiming that they didn’t fancy radishes that much. I took the girl aside and away from the group. “I know a plant, called bubotuber, that when prepared correctly can get rid of those.” I motioned to her acne. “I’ve used it on myself and my sister.”

Her eyes lit up, “Really? Will you show me?” I nodded and told her I would later in the week and that I’d have to make sure it was okay with Professor Sprout to use her plants. Juniper quickly took my arm and pulled me out from the Hufflepuff basement and through one of the two tunnels that lead out from the common room.

We soon found ourselves, along with some younger Hufflepuffs who tagged behind us entering the grand dining hall for breakfast. There were students slowly coming in from each of the different houses, and I waved to the ones I knew, like Hermione Granger and her friends and to players of the other Quidditch teams.

Not many waved back, but I didn’t mind, they probably just weren’t truly awake yet. Juniper and I came to a rest at the designated Hufflepuff table, grabbed hold on two plates and began to put out our breakfast. Any meal served in the grand hall was like a buffet designed just for you, there was any type of food a person could want on that table. Juniper and I piled fruits and toast onto our plates and took two glasses of milk that seemed to appear in front of us.

Soon the grand hall was filled with kids from all seven years, conversations were buzzing around and kids were laughing together. Juniper and I smiled at each other and finished up our plates, knowing that they’d magically clean themselves and reappear again later for lunch.

Headmaster Dumbledore's voice rang out telling that it was time to get to class and the student’s obeyed. Now I only had seven classes and lunchtime to get through before Quidditch practice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the first official chapter!
Hope you enjoy it! Zaffhi will be next.

xox