War Wounds

Prologue

Sky fall

This is the end
Hold your breath and count to ten
Feel the earth move and then
Hear my heart burst again

The field rained bullets and as many times as I had been through this before.. Today is the day I’m going to die. I prayed the prayer my grandmother had me rehearse before I stepped into this uniform. The one I had forgotten part of, the one that I just couldn’t bring myself to say. I didn’t want to die like I’d wanted to a few months back. I’m alone in this world… Partially the reason I came here. I’m over here trying to remember this prayer.. When in all actually it’d be better if I just died. No one would even miss me, or remember me. I’d be with someone familiar at last.

Sergeant … Sergeant … I couldn’t even remember his name. I can’t even begin to think of the letter it begins with. Sad to watch a bullet pierce into someones soul who you were supposed to be looking out for. How ironic it is that I’m still standing, not even scaratched. All in once piece looking up at the sky and waiting for my fate.

I breathed letting the smell of gun powder foretake my nose. I then breathed out and grabbed my wrist and pinched it slightly courting from ten.

10

9

8

Michaels.

That’s his name… Michaels. He always told me about his daughter that he just couldn’t wait to get home to. I couldn’t even begin to think how that little girl would feel if she knew what I had just witnessed happened. If only I could take a step back into time and change the order of events. I definitely wouldn’t be the one still standing. I have no one. If I died right now… They wouldn’t know what to do with me.. Who to give me to.

I looked towards the pile of dead bodies in front of me, and coughed from the sense of the debris in the air. There is no one for me to save but myself at this point.

After thinking over the possibilities of me dying, or living… I decided to continue on my conquest through the mud from the recent rain. It felt so good on my skin. The fog started to build and I could hear the sound of them.

They are out for me… Little ole me.

I bit the inside of my cheek so hard I could taste the blood. So tart.. I still seemed to smell the gun powder in the air but didn’t see much more bullets flying. I grabbed my pack and trudged through the mud alone. I looked up at the sun and felt a sigh of relief. It was over, for now it was over.

My thoughts were shortly mistaken when I felt a bullet go through my leg and I was down. I then felt another bullet enter the top of my chest.. My breathing was ragged … I am dying, I am I am I am.

“Clear!” A thick accent said and I felt alone again.

Minutes later, just about everything was a blur. Just a few memories of my life, as the darkness took me in. It was my grim reaper. Maybe I wasn’t going to heaven.. Maybe I was going to hell… Maybe, maybe, maybe.

“Max!” A voice fainted throughout my ear drums. “You’re not going to die!”

Brown eyes.

So big, so light, so sweet like a pot of warm honey like my grandmother used to make me drink when I had a cold. They were sweet, soft and caring.

“Hang in there for me sweetheart!”

I closed my eyes, and just hoped I made it to see those eyes again.
For this is the end
I’ve drowned and dreamt this moment
So overdue I owe them
Swept away, I’m stolen
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what y'all think... Xoxoxo