Status: this story was originally based off of my first fanfiction I ever wrote. However, that was uploaded on Quizilla, and that site no longer exists :( So, I am not sure what to do about this.

Contempt

Red Soil

“Well, I guess since you’ll be staying here we should show you at least where everything is.” Shinya quietly stated.

Charlotte and I shrugged. Kaoru got up and showed us the general areas of the apartment; it was pretty small, I was sure that we wouldn’t be getting lost any time soon. Then, we got around to Kyo’s bedroom. His door was slightly cracked open; which only made me more curious to peer inside it. I tried to look through the crack in the door, but there was a wall blocking my view. I didn’t see the harm in walking a few footsteps into his room. While Kaoru and Charlotte were conversing about something unimportant, I quietly tried to open his door. I managed to get the few footsteps in that I wanted, and he didn’t seem to notice me being in his room. After I figured I had gotten my curiosity out of me, I turned the wrong way and my foot slammed the door shut. When the door closed, it made a funny sort of clicking sound – like it got jammed into a piece of wood, or part of it fell off. Before anyone noticed, I frantically looked at the doorknob, searching for some sort of lock to unlock the door – which wasn’t there. Before I could realize it, Kyo was behind me. I turned around and my face turned white. I immediately hated myself and regretted taking Toshiya home, I should have listened to Charlotte and let him sleep on that table for the night.

“Did the door shut all the way?” He asked, not even questioning why I was in his room

“Yeah…” I quietly muttered out

He sighed, “I’ve been meaning to get my door fixed for a few months. The lock is on the other side, and it gets jammed in the wood sometimes. It’s pretty hard to get undone, and you can’t do it from the inside.”

I nervously bit my lip and fumbled with the hem of my shirt.

“How did you get locked in here in the first place?”

I opened my mouth and thought I could get my way out of this; but I couldn’t think of any response that would sound logical. Thankfully, the door knob was shaking, probably from Charlotte, which distracted both of us from his question.

“It’s jammed again…” I heard Kaoru mumble

After we had fully explained to Charlotte, through the door, that I was not able to get out until the morning, Kyo and I just sort of sat there awkwardly for a little bit. I hardly knew the man and the only thing I know him for is being angry at Die for being noisy. So, the last thing that I wanted to do was make noise and upset him.

When what seemed like hours of uncomfortable silence had passed, we finally started to make some form of small talk. He was somewhat friendly; but I don’t really blame him, I’d be weirded out if a stranger was locked in my room for the night too. We started talking about stupid things – like where he had gotten certain things in his room, or the weather. Eventually, both of us opened up a little bit. Once you start talking to him for a little while, you can see that he really isn’t that mean-hearted of a person; sure, he can be a little grumpy sometimes, but who isn’t? I guess being forced to talk to somebody really can kindle a-sort-of companionship. I definitely wouldn’t call us friends, but we were more than acquaintances. He wasn’t as scary as he seemed, thankfully. From what I’ve seen from Die so far, I don’t know if I could survive staying a night in a room with him.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

When I awoke, my back was throbbing and half my head felt like it was hit with a hammer. I was reluctant to open my eyes all the way, it felt like my head was about to cave in. When I finally was able to open them fully, I jumped at the sight of the unfamiliar room I was in. For a few moments I had completely forgotten what had happened last night; but it surely came back. Not every last detail, but the majority of it did. I started to recognize whose floor I was on and where I was slowly. I adjusted my leg to stretch, and I felt a body behind me. It startled me until I realized that it was only Kyo. I guess after a night of talking, we had both passed out on the floor together – and by some chance he happened to have fallen asleep with his hands around my waist, holding me to him. I couldn’t really do anything about it, he was stronger than I was, and looked like he was sound asleep. I figured the best thing I could do was let him be; and besides, I guess deep down I didn’t really mind. Charlotte and I had been so busy with the restaurant that I never really got to know anyone very well recently.

My phone in my back pocket began to vibrate, which made Kyo grunt and fidget. I pulled it out and answered, reluctant to talk to anyone at the moment.

“Hello?” I yawned

“Where are you and Charlotte? I dropped by your place and it was empty. You weren’t there last night or this morning.” It was May, someone Charlotte and I have known since we were both little. I don’t know if I would consider us friends, exactly, she was always a little bit odd. She got way too attached to certain things, over-dramatized everything, and was just that type of person that irked you.

I guess she couldn’t be bothered to say hi or good morning. “After we got home from work we stopped by a friend’s house and spent the night.”

“Did I just wake you up?” She said sounding slightly suspicious about god knows what.

“Yeah, it was a long night.”

May then began to babble on about how lazy I was and other pointless topics I didn’t care to be bothered about at this moment. I hung up the phone, probably interrupting her mid-sentence.

I yawned yet again and tried to sit up; only realizing that Kyo was still holding onto me. I tried to break his grip, but doing that didn’t fix it, if anything, it made him hold on to me tighter. “Kyo,” I shook him with the small bit of arm space that I had. He grunted and shifted his body slightly. I tried this a few times, my shaking and talking getting slightly louder each time. The only thing positive it yielded was letting Kaoru and Charlotte know I was awake, because moments after yelling at Kyo, I heard them fidgeting with the door. It took them 20 minutes and a screwdriver, but they were eventually able to get the door open. It was so refreshing to see space other than this room. I know it was only one night, but the feeling of being trapped is one you will not forget.

I guess I had forgotten that Kyo and I were still on the ground together, because it took me a while to realize why they were staring at me.

Charlotte gave me a weird look, but before she could say anything, I made it clear that I had no idea how this happened either. Kaoru bent down and gave Kyo a more forceful shake than I could have ever hoped to do, and he slowly awoke.

“Why are all you guys in my room?” He grumpily asked, also still half-awake

“We fixed the door” Charlotte quietly said

Kyo sat himself up; bringing me halfway up with him before releasing his grip to stretch and I plummeted back to the ground. He glanced down and looked like he felt bad, but didn’t say anything.

“Audrey,” Charlotte started, handing me my phone that I threw on the ground moments ago, “You’re getting a phone call.”

I still didn’t want to be bothered, so I only grunted as a greeting.

“Why did you hang up on me before?” May asked, sounding more offended than the usual person would be

I still didn’t respond, so May filled up the empty space with more talking, “I hope you know that you did that-” I rolled my eyes and handed the phone to Charlotte. I gave her a look and she knew exactly who it was.

They eventually left the room – while Charlotte was still on my phone – leaving it to be only Kyo and me again.

“Oh, sorry I dropped you earlier.”

Even if it was late and when no one was around, at least it was an apology. I nodded as a response and gave my best attempt at a smile.

“I’m hungry, I’m going to the kitchen to get something to eat and make sure that nobody broke anything.” Kyo said as he stood up

I didn’t feel like staying in here alone, so I followed him into the kitchen. I didn’t necessarily need to follow him – the kitchen was one hallway away from Kyo’s bedroom. When I walked into the kitchen, Kyo and I were both greeted by everyone sitting at the dining room table. Well, except for Die, he was still somewhat asleep on the couch – every now and again he did make the occasional grunt, and arm twitch though.

There was a small plate of assorted food on the table. I guess that’s what everyone was having for breakfast; I wasn’t really expecting any of the guys to be cooking. Kyo walked over and grabbed an apple from the table. Charlotte waved me down to go sit next to her and Kaoru.

“How did you sleep? The floor or Kyo couldn’t have been too comfortable.” Charlotte said with a slight smile

“You are hilarious,” I said sarcastically, “But I slept fine. Minus the call from May, everything has been fine. Speaking of May, can I have my phone back?” I asked while holding my hand out

She placed my phone on the table in front of me, completely ignoring my out stretched hand. “You aren’t hungry?” She asked, her eyes gesturing over to the plate of food it the middle of the table

“No, my stomach hurts a little bit. I slept in a strange position on the floor and Kyo hanging on to me last night didn’t help at all either.” I quickly glanced over at him, but he ignored my comment for the most part – only slightly smirking as a response.