Snowed In

Alicia

Liam was a few steps ahead of Alicia as they went to find fuel for the generator. It seemed the tank hadn’t been filled in a while and was already running low, so they got the not so fun job of finding a solution. As they moved down the hall, the lights flickered and Alicia wondered how long the generator would last. Considering how things had gone when they last went out, she really hoped they’d get the fuel in time. She didn’t want to have another ‘moment’ with Payne. She just wanted to continue thinking he was her annoying co-worker that never used her name.

“Looks like we don’t have too much time to find this fuel,” Liam said as Alicia hurried to keep up with him.

“Where are we going anyway?” Alicia asked doing her best to match his pace and walk at his side.

“We’re going to the snowmobile storage area,” he replied glancing over at her. “They usually have a few cans of fuel there in case of emergencies like this.”

“Oh, well that’s good,” she said as he continued to lead the way to their destination.

Alicia had never been so far into the lodge before, the hallways were a little confusing and she was surprised to see how well Liam actually knew the layout. It was almost like he’d been there his whole life the way he knew exactly where to turn and which door led where. She hated to admit it, but it seemed he was very useful in this situation.

“So, Ali-“

“Alicia.”

“Ali, why don’t we try to find something to talk about? It’s a little too quiet for my tastes,” he finished giving the girl the same glare he always did.

“What can we talk about?” Ali asked giving the boy a look, her eyebrow raised. “We end up arguing about everything.”

“Not everything.”

“Close enough.” Pushing a hand through her hair, she wished she had a something to tie it up with. The conversation with Liam was tiring and her hair kept falling in front of her face. All she wanted was to go home, but it seemed that the world was against her. It seemed like someone out there was playing a cruel joke on her and she really didn’t appreciate it.

“And why is that?” Liam asked pausing his stride to look at the girl. “I mean, really how is it that we never agree on anything?”

“I don’t know, we just don’t,” Alicia replied crossing her arms as she waited for him to start walking, but he didn’t.

“There has to be something we can talk about,” he said pushing a sleeve of his shirt up to his elbow.

“This shitty situation,” Alicia said cocking her head slightly before he started walking again, but slower this time. Almost as if he wanted to take his time.

“Well it’s definitely not what I had planned,” Liam replied glancing over to her before his eyes fell to the cream colored carpeting.

“Yeah.” Licking her lips, she continued. “You probably had plans?”

“Kind of,” he said nodding. “I was supposed to meet Mia for dinner.”

“You have a girlfriend?” Alicia said with a laugh. It wasn’t that the statement was funny, it was more that she couldn’t believe she did already have that figured out. Of course he would have a girlfriend.

“What? Do think there aren’t any girls who like me?” Liam asked looking exceedingly offended. “Not everyone thinks I’m a prick, you do realize that, right?”

“I don’t think you’re a prick,” Alicia told him as her brow furrowed. She really didn’t. She might say he was a jerk or that he was rude, but she didn’t think he was a prick. It was just that he didn’t understand her and she didn’t understand him. She was willing to leave it at that, but it seemed he thought their constant bickering was from her side.

“Well you clearly don’t think much of me,” he said his voice rising slightly as he stopped to look at her again.

Eyes wide, she looked at him surprised as he took a step towards her and she took a step back. Lips parted, she opened her mouth to say something, but stopped herself. Taking another step back, she felt her back touch the beige wall of the hallway. There was nowhere to go if he came any closer and Alicia was crossing her fingers in hopes that he would keep his distance.

Taking a breath, she said, “Why does it matter what I think of you?”

“It doesn’t.”

As she watched his tight jaw and slightly puckered lips, she felt like he was lying. Biting her lip, she wondered if she should call him out on it. She wondered what would make him lie about that. So many thoughts were swimming through her head that she barely realized that she had spoken.

“Then why are you getting so upset?”

“Because I…” Stopping, he took a breath and shook his head. It seemed like he was frustrated and fed up with something, but Alicia couldn’t say what. “Never mind.” Stepping back, he turned to start down the hallway again, but Alicia caught his arm.

“Oh, no you don’t,” she said, her eyes squarely catching his gaze to hold his attention. She wanted to make sure he heard her. “You don’t get to yell at me over something so stupid and then just drop it like that. That’s not fair. I deserve an explanation.”

“Yeah, well you’re not getting one.”

Scoffing, Alicia shook her head. “You’re unbelievable.”

Letting go of his arm, she followed as he walked off. Not knowing the real answer was going to nag at her for the rest of their trip together, she just knew it and as Liam opened the door to the storage room. She hoped they’d get back to the suite quickly. Spending all this time with him was going to drive her insane. She just knew it.

Picking up a couple of the heavy cans, she glanced over at the short haired boy. For someone that she had spoken with so often, she realized that she knew practically nothing about him. He was practically a stranger. Shaking her head, she threw out the thought and just followed him back to the suite where the group was waiting. She really hoped that once they were back in the group she could sneak away for a few minutes along. All the time she’d spent with Payne was starting to get to her and she didn’t know why, but she was starting to think he might not be as bad as she thought… That she might have been wrong about him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Paige again, I hope you guys are liking the story. :)

Drop a comment to let us know.

Micah is next so be ready for it. <3