‹ Prequel: The Consequence
Status: Excited about this! Bare with me though!

Jealous Minds Think Alike

Chapter Five

Fresh tears began to trickle down my already damp face like salty raindrops. I tried to open my mouth to argue my point but Josh would stop me in my tracks with his dagger stare and continue his rant about what a bitch I am, his voice growing ever louder with each passing second. Jack was hovering awkwardly by my shoulder. His stiff body language told me he wanted to plant his fist, hard, into Josh's face.
"...and we were doing so fucking well Carrie and you just...you just...sleep with one of your ex's! Behind my back!" Josh continued, hands balled up into fists and his face growing red with rage.
"Hold the fuck up Josh! I didn't sleep with Carrie, she let me sleep on the sofa because I was drunk out of my skull and couldn't remember where my hotel was! All items of clothing were present!" Gratitude towards Jack welled up inside me like a tidal wave. Josh had his jaw clenched.
"Stay the fuck out of this Barakat! This is between me and Carrie."
"From the looks of things you're not giving her the right to speak!" I bit my lip and silently begged Jack to shut up before Josh blew a fuse. I turned to face Jack, hating myself for what I was about to do.
"Maybe you should leave Jack, this is between me and Josh."
"But-"
"Please. I'll call to see you get there safely." Reluctantly, Jack dragged his feet across the hall and with a bang, shut the door behind him.

Deafening silence engulfed the two of us. We were both staring each other down, trying desperately to find the words to say to each other. After what felt like a lifetime I was the one to shatter the silence.
"Josh, you have to believe me I didn't- "
"You didn't what, Carrie?! Betray my trust? Go behind my back? I don't give a flying fuck if you've slept with him. You still went behind my back! And that hurts!" Red hot anger boiled through my veins, pumping adrenaline though my body like an electric current, fuelling my body like a fire.
"You don't give a flying fuck? Have you ever? It's plain to me that you don't care about anyone but yourself Josh, an maybe that hurts me!" I stormed up the stairs, flung open my wardrobe and started to fling my stuff into my suitcase. I could hear Josh stomping up to follow me.
"And what the fuck are you doing now?!" He sounded exasperated now. Good.
"Making your job easier Josh. I'm leaving so you can now care solely for yourself without me getting in your way." He gape at me, stumbling over his words in a rush to get them out.
"Wait carrie you can't...I mean, we were doing good until...just stay for a while..." I shook my head lamely, tears threatening to spill over.
"I'll come back when you've pulled your head out your arse Josh." And with that I pushed past him and left the house.

I leaned against the front door, sobs shaking my sides. We were doing so well, what happened?

Jack happened.

Taking a deep calming breathe, I composed myself and drew out my phone from the back pocket of my jeans. My fingers patted out the familiar number.
"Hello?" Hearing his voice made the tears come rushing back. Was it all worth it? It always seemed to end up like this. Maybe I just couldn't do it any more.
"Max I-" I managed to breathe out those words before the sobs engulfed me.
"Don't worry Carrie, love. I'm coming for you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update tonight? Whoa, this isn't me. Anyway, hope you liked it! Tell me what you think. What do you think's going to happen? Tell me in the comments. Thanks :D