iMate

Claire Sutton

It seemed as though luck was on Claire’s side when she happened upon him in the coffee shop and she could only hope that that luck would carry through to their first real date, because as nervous as she was, she was bound to do something to screw it up.

The entire time she was getting ready her hands were shaking and she had to reapply her makeup twice because she’d messed it up. She still couldn’t believe that she was actually going on a date with Liam Payne – the boy she’d spent weeks trying to get close to – and she hardly even had to try for it.

It was like just when she’d given up, everything she had been waiting for fell right into her lap. Now all she had to do was not screw it up.

Claire took slow, deep breaths, trying to calm herself, while she waited for Liam to arrive. Sydney had to do her best to keep her away from a mirror, because Claire had already changed more times than she could count, and she didn’t want to see it happen again. She was running out of outfits.

When a knock landed on Claire’s door, she nearly squealed, but stopped herself out of fear that he might hear her. Sydney reminded her to breathe several times before she opened the door.

“Liam,” Claire said, when her eyes landed on his perfect caramel ones.

“Claire,” he beamed. “You look lovely.”

“Thank you. You look pretty nice yourself.”

He chuckled. “I hope you’re hungry. I’ve got dinner reservations.”

“Of course,” Claire said, nodding her head. Liam smiled, before she followed him out the door, giving Sydney a quick wave as she shut it behind her.

Liam’s car was one of the nicest she’d ever seen, but of course, she expected that. She tried to focus on the tinted windows, shiny rims, or anything that could keep her gaze away from the gorgeous boy walking next to her. She was already nervous enough as it was, and when he opened the door for her, she thought her heart was going to explode. If she didn’t have high blood pressure before, she’d definitely have it after their date.

When Liam hopped into the driver’s side, shutting his door behind him, Claire realized she was going to have to find something to talk about, and she had no idea what. When they had coffee, he told her all about his tour and she told him about school and the conversation was so easy, but now she was out of things to say.

“Your car’s really nice,” she said, before mentally slapping herself for saying something so stupid. No one wanted to spend a date talking about simple things like cars and two minutes in, Claire had already set herself up for failure.

“Thank you,” he said, looking over at her with a smile. “It took me forever to pick out. My parents and I had a lot of trouble finding something we agreed on. They wanted safety and I obviously just wanted something that looked good.”

She chuckled at him and he smiled again, sending her heart racing in her chest. She couldn’t believe how close he was. He was just inches away, separated only by the center console, and he was going on a date with her. The boy she’d spent years pining over and weeks trying to get closer to was right next to her. He was so close she could see all the details the fan website gushed about, from the stubble on his chin to the birthmark on his neck. Everything about him was so perfect.

When they arrived at the restaurant, after several minutes of joking about how cool they looked in his car, everyone’s eyes were on Liam and Claire. It was obvious they knew he was a celebrity and that they were trying to put a finger on who exactly Claire was. Would she end up in a tabloid? She’d never thought about that, but it suddenly seemed like a possibility.

Liam smiled over at her, admiring her worried face, and chuckled. Latching onto her hand with his, he whispered over to her, “It’ll be all right. Just ignore them.”

Claire nodded, smiling like he was, but wasn’t sure she’d actually be able to. She just thanked the heavens that there weren’t any paparazzi there.

The hostess showed Liam and Claire to their table, and like a gentleman, Liam pulled her seat out for her, before sitting in his. Every time she thought he couldn’t be more perfect than he already was, he did something that sent him one up on her scale, and she wondered how she ever got lucky enough for him to notice her.

All through their dinner, he kept her heart racing with his charming smile and never ending compliments. He made her laugh with all his jokes and when he accidentally kicked her leg underneath the table, she thought her heart was going to melt.

Over and over, she had to remind herself that the moment was real and it wasn’t just something she dreamed up. She had to tell herself again and again that she was on a date with Liam Payne, and more importantly, she had to remind herself not to do anything to screw it up. Like Phillip J. Clark had told her, the iMate could tell you who your soulmate was, but it couldn’t make him fall in love. That part was up to Claire.

When they’d finished their meal of casual jokes and smooth conversations, Claire was practically cheering inside over the fact that she hadn’t ruined anything. It was, by far, the most nerve wrecking first date of her life, and she hoped that things would get easier the more often she saw Liam, if she ever got to see him again.

After he paid their bill, with Claire offering to pay before she saw how expensive it actually was, the two headed back out to his car, having their photograph taken the entire way. Liam whispered over to her, reassuring her that everything was all right and saying she should just ignore all the paparazzo. She wondered if he’d gotten used to having his photo taken everywhere he went.

When they hopped back into Liam’s car, Claire found herself more nervous than she was when he’d first picked her up. At first, she didn’t know why, but then she realized that the closer they got to the date ending, the sooner the time would come when they’d either have their first kiss or end the date as friends. It was a monumental moment and Claire wasn’t sure if she’d be able to handle it.

Liam’s car pulled into her driveway painfully slow, before he hopped out and opened her door for her. She smiled and thanked him, barely able to meet his eyes out of nerves. She knew she had to get a hold of herself if she wasn’t going to botch the whole situation, but she was having a hard time doing it.

He walked with her to her porch, standing casually in front of the door with his hands tucked in his pockets. His teeth were tugging at his bottom lip, while his eyes were locked on her feet. She couldn’t believe it, but he almost looked as nervous as she was. Almost, but not quite. He seemed to be standing just fine, while Claire thought she was going to faint at any second.

His eyes moved up to hers and she was sure she was going to lose it. She could feel the heat running to her cheeks and her mouth was going dry, while her hands were the clammiest they’d ever been.

Liam was about to kiss her and all she could think about was how badly she was going to mess it up. Her body was in too much of a frenzy for her not to. Did girls always get that nervous when they were about to kiss Liam Payne? Did he always have to deal with having the worst first date kisses ever?

His hand pulled out of his pocket, reaching over for hers, and she silently cursed them for being as sweaty as they were. He had to notice it; it was impossible not to.

He chuckled at her, causing her cheeks to become ever redder. “Are you nervous?”

She wanted to lie to him – to tell him that she wasn’t – but her body wouldn’t let her. He’d already caught on and there was nothing left for her to do but nod.

He smiled. “Don’t be.”

His teeth pulled at his bottom lip, while his free hand moved to her cheek. His eyes looked so soft as they stared into hers, and it somewhat comforted her, if only a little. He was just inches away from kissing her, so close that she could feel his breath rolling against her lips. Her eyes gently closed and she could feel his lips as they began to brush against hers.

Before he could press them against hers, sealing their first date kiss, Claire hiccupped. She didn’t know how it happened, as she rarely got the hiccups, but she was suddenly having them in a fit, over and over. She wanted to smack her lungs and tell them to stop, but of course, it was impossible. She didn’t even have to ruin their first kiss, because her body did it for her.

Liam pulled away, chuckling with a huge grin on his face. Her eyes met his and she groaned, slapping her hand to her face.

“I’m sorry, this usually doesn’t –“

“It’s okay,” he interrupted, still softly laughing. “I can wait.”

She hiccupped several more times and she wondered if it was ever going to go away. Of all the times for this to happen, it had to be when she was about to kiss Liam.

“This is so embarrassing,” she groaned, as she placed her hand over her mouth.

He shook his head. “I think it’s cute.”

Before she could do anything besides blush like madman, Liam’s phone began ringing in his pocket. He pulled it out, before turning back to her with a sad smile.

“I’m really sorry, Claire, I’ve gotta go,” he said, as he placed his phone back in his pocket. “Promise me we’ll pick up right here later?”

She nodded, and he placed a small kiss against her forehead, just as another hiccup left her throat. He chuckled, before smiling at her. “Promise?”

“I promise,” she said, as she watched him walk off her porch. He gave her one last wave before hopping into his car, and the second he had pulled out of her driveway, she let out a long groan.

She’d been just seconds away from her perfect kiss with Liam, and she ruined it. She’d messed it all up in the final quarter and there was no way she could go back for a win.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww, poor Claire! Her hiccups ruined everything!
Do you think she'll still have her chance with Liam?!
We would love to know what you think!