Sequel: Whispers
Status: Active

Burn

Court

Holy water cannot help you now
A thousand armies couldn't keep me out
I don't want your money
I don't want your crown
See I've come to burn
Your kingdom down
- Seven Devils, Florence + The Machine


Every girl needs a best friend. A girl without someone to talk to, without a shoulder to cry on, or without someone to share a horrible laugh with, is no happy girl. Girls are complex, and they often needed someone to balance them out, to remind them what is right and what is wrong, to steer them down bad and good paths alike.

Rae felt thankful that Trystan was every single one of these, sitting at lunch, talking about grade school and reliving memories. They had been together for a long time, and Rae could not imagine having anyone else in Trystan’s place. Though the girl was a pain in the ass and she often like to have a go at Rae for her sensitive heart, Rae loved Trystan like a sister.

Not growing up with a mother, Rae needed someone to fill the gap of that important female absence. She didn’t want a step mother, and she didn’t want an aunt to fill it; she just needed someone to be her best friend like her mother would have. Trystan was that.

Leaning back, Rae felt the sun bathing her bare neck. Her hair was pulled out of her face, and the neck of her tank top was pulled low, revealing the pale skin that needed to see the light of day. Sipping her tea, Rae smiled, shaking her head.

“What?” Trystan asked, sipping her soda. The girl was addicted to the product, just as Rae had an addiction for tea. She set the drink down, casting Rae a questioning glance.

“Do you remember that summer we went to Greece?” Rae asked, picturing the beaches and the blue of the ocean in her minds eyes. It had been a trip they took two years ago, and it was definitely one to remember. They had gotten into so much trouble. “Two summers ago?”

“Yes,” she said matter of factly. They paused as their food was brought, and Trystan eagerly stabbed into her salad. Rae popped a chip in her mouth, looking at the wonderful burger in front of her. “It’s when I found out you actually had an inner slut of sorts.”

Rae gave her a look and Trystan shrugged. “You melded your mouth to every hot Greek guy that gave you a drink.”

“I prefer to call it experimentation.”

“Or examination of the mouth.”

The two girls laughed at the joke, continuing to eat their food. Conversation flowed over topics of Harry, Louis and family. Trystan was going to be heading to Manchester for the weekend to visit her parents, so Rae would have the house to herself. Trystan made innuendos of course, but Rae ignored them.

Rae absently remembered that her father’s annual benefit was coming up soon. She knew that she could take Trystan like she had every year, but a thought of maybe taking Harry crossed her mind. Shaking her head, she decided that would be a very bad idea. Even though all of her fathers co-workers were on her about getting a boyfriend, she certainly didn’t want to put Harry in an environment with snobs and least of all her father.

No, she did not think that Harry would enjoy going to something like that, even though she would have loved to see him in a clean blazer, arm linked with hers and sipping champagne. He would have looked so out of place and adorable. The thought made her lips curve into a smile just a bit.

While waiting for the check to come, they were talking about maybe going shopping to spend a bit more time together. It was in the middle of that conversation, with the warmth around her that Rae saw a face that was recognizable to her. It took several moments for her to place the face that was walking into the restaurant with a girl unfamiliar to her, but when he looked at her, she remembered instantly. Leon.

Rae glanced at the table, uncomfortable. Though she didn’t know the boy well, she still remembered the way Harry had hardened around him, how Harry seemed to hate the boy, or at least know something was not fabulous about him. She was pretty sure it was just a coincidence that he was there, and she breathed in relief when he sat down a few tables away with the girl.

Paying, Trystan and Rae stood. Quickly, Rae lead Trys from the patio, turning her face towards the street as they neared the table Leon sat at. Rae was sure he would not recognize her, but something about seeing him was setting her stomach into an uncomfortable not, like a boa constrictor curling around her abdomen and squeezing.

The two girls passed their table and Rae let out a breath. A smile touched her face as she rounded the fence when she heard, “Hullo, Rae.” The breath left her lungs as she turned her head a fraction of inch to look at where the voice came from. Leon leaned back in his chair, giving her a smile that was not happy. “Look at you! Not even saying hello! How are you, love?”

Trystan glanced between the too, seeing how unhappy Rae was already. Rae scratched the back of her neck awkwardly, forcing a smile. “I’m lovely. I hadn’t seen you there, my apologies.”

“No need to apologize. Have a lovely day.” Rae nodded and turned when he added, “Oh, and tell dearest Hazza I’ll see him for the court date, yes?”

Rae’s throat locked. She had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, he knew she didn’t know. Licking her lips, she nodded, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of getting to her, even though her mind was spinning around in circles. “Of course I’ll tell him. He knew that already, though.”

Leon seemed surprised and put out, which made Rae snicker inwardly. He clearly was counting on Harry leaving out that piece of information, but she would never let him know that he was right.

Turning on her heel, Rae gestured for Trystan to follow her. She did and continued to be quiet until they were in the car. Rae sat in the drivers seat, clutching the wheel tightly. “What in the hell did he mean by court date?”

She let out a loud breath of anger. “I don’t know.”

“Who in the hell was that bloke?”

“His name is Leon, and I know that Harry isn’t fond of him. But I’m not sure of much else,” Rae admitted, looking at Trystan. Trystan gave her an empathetic look, shrugging a shoulder. “Harry hasn’t said anything about a court date. I only acted like I knew because he said it to upset me.”

“Yeah, that much was obvious.”

Deciding there wasn’t much she could do by sitting in the car, Rae drove home. Harry was working that day, and though she was irritated enough to imagine herself going to the bakery and demanding answers, she remembered what Louis had said about the bakery being Harry’s sanctuary. Rae did not want to take that away from him, knowing that she was the same way about her drawing studio.

So instead, when she got home, Rae went straight to her studio, pulling out paints and setting up an easel, and attempted to burying her scared thoughts into painting something. At first, all she could do was question what Harry could possibly going to court for.

After several attempts, Rae was finally able to bury herself into painting, using a wide varieties of colors to create a beautiful cheetah. The painting had absolutely nothing to do with anything that she was feeling, but it was pretty, and it took away the time that she needed until Harry was off of work.

The painting completed, Rae grabbed her phone, ignoring the paint on her hands and sending Harry a text message that she wanted to talk when he got the chance. He answered with a simple affirmative, stating he would be there soon. Setting down the phone, she stared at the painting. “Please don’t let this ruin whatever we have. I like this boy… a lot.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So this was a shitty chapter. But I wanted to keep the confrontation and this separate, so I'm very sorry!!

Rae's Outfit

Painting