Sequel: Whispers
Status: Active

Burn

Winning

Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me
Lying on the floor surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait? Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late, you found me, you found me
- You Found Me, The Fray


Strange dreams plagued Rae’s mind, dreams of stars and floating to her home. She felt extremely heavy, as if a blanket were weighing down on her, thick and constricting. Unable to sleep anymore, her eye’s fluttered open, their color a light blue, yellow surrounding her pupils. Her eyes often changed color, never able to decided permanently what they wanted to be.

Rae felt extremely odd, not being able to recall anything of the night before or how she got home. Worry clawed at her as she sat up in bed, casting her eyes around for clues of how she had gotten home or what had happened to her. There was no way she had consumed enough alcohol to have the blackout she was now experiencing.

Running a hand through her brown locks, she sighed, looking down and raising her brows to see that she was still in last nights dress, though it was hiked up from sleep. Sliding out of bed, she paused, a sound catching her ears. The TV was on in the living room, and as she padded towards the door, she saw the empty DVD case for Pirates of the Caribbean sitting open.

Not understanding what was quite going on, Rae walked down stairs quietly and into the living room, stopping with a wild expression taking over her face when she discovered Harry Styles sitting on her couch, his green eyes focused on the large flat screen as Captain Jack Sparrow lectured Will Turner about being a pirate.

“What are you doing?” Rae demanded, fumbling for words. Why the hell was he in her house? Had he gone home with her? Did she sleep with him?

“Watching a movie,” he answered, turning to her like it was the most obvious thing in the world. He gave her a once over, raising his brows at her appearance, which made her feel self-conscious. “The ‘I just woke up from a wild night out’ look actually looks quite fit on you. Consider yourself lucky.”

“I meant what are you doing in my house!” Rae crossed her arms over her chest, practically snarling. Had he drugged her and dragged her here? No, he wouldn’t have brought her to her own home for that. “And you better not have messed up my DVD shelf. I’ll kill you if you did.”

“Touchy about DVD’s? Noted.” He stood up, pausing the movie and facing her. An annoyed expression graced his features, which made no sense to Rae; she was the one annoyed here. “I’m in your house, because you, big guy, decided to accept a drink at the bar from a stranger, even when I warned you against it.”

“Why should I listen to anything you say?” she snapped, rolling her eyes at him. She really didn’t understand him. “I don’t know you, and quite frankly you don’t seem to be the best at making decisions.”

He scoffed. “Well seeing as you were roofied last night and I found you wandering around the streets like a proper hooker, mumbling about the stars talking to you, you’re in no position to talk about decision making.” Rae’s eyes went wide and her arms dropped from where they were, remembering taking the drink. “Yeah, bet you didn’t think I was capable of taking you home and making sure you lived through the night.”

Harry stormed passed her, bumping her shoulder roughly enough to make her stumbled. She squeaked in surprise, alarmed at his rough behavior, though she was more alarmed that he had helped her. Why on earth would he do that? He wasn’t the type to save others.

Rae darted after him, reaching him just as he was ripping the door open. “Why did you help me? I’m of no use to you, and surely you had better things to be doing.”

Harry turned to her, scowling at the way she said it. There was no gratitude in her voice, and there was a hint of accusation when she suggested that he should be doing other things, though she hadn’t realized she had said it. “Right, well, next time feel free to get roofied and be fucked to death.” He moved to slam the door behind him, pausing and adding, “Oh yeah; I told you so.”

Rae flinched when Harry slammed the door. She stood their for a few minutes, not realizing that she was scared he would come back and yell more until she looked down, fingertips trembling slightly.

Walking up the stairs, Rae tried to wrap her head around the fact that Harry helped her the night before. Nothing in his personality hinted that he was the sort of person to help others in need, and yet… he had helped her, even when she was quite vulnerable.

The girl shivered at the thought of what could have happened if he hadn’t found her wandering around, the fear of it making her run up to her room and rip her clothes off, desperately needing a shower to wash herself of what could have been.

The water ran down her hot and quick as she stood in the shower, hanging her head and letting the water weigh down her long hair. Her mind was absolutely fixated on the boy who had stayed through the night to make sure she lived. Something had made him say, and even if it was just to say ‘I told you so,’ he had helped her.

Rae’s palm slammed against the stone wall of the shower angrily, hating the fact that she knew she needed to be gracious. Every ounce of her wanted to be a bitch, wanted to loathe him. But facts were facts, and she should have been far kinder to someone who potentially saved her life. In fact, the longer she thought about it, the more she felt the guilt creepy in her gut for her first reaction.

“Fuck,” she swore angrily, hitting her palm on the shower again. She knew what she had to do, and she didn’t like it what so ever. Finishing her shower, she cursed over and over in her mind, wondering why one earth her world seemed to revolve around having to deal with the likes of Harry Styles.

*

London was busy, the sun shining bright and cars passing down the streets. The classy flats and nice homes were quiet a surprise to Rae as she walked down the street, her eyes looking at each house number as she padded along the side walk, nodding to people that passed her by.

It was warm outside, beautiful weather for walking, and she was thankful for it. It turned out she didn’t have to walk far to find where she wanted to go, which was one of many surprises to her that morning.

Slowing, her eyes focused on the house number that she was sure she was looking for. It was a two story flat like her own, though it was situated in between to other homes, whereas hers stood alone.

The home was a crème color and looked very put together as she head towards it, glancing at the screen of her phone to make sure the address that Louis had sent her was correct. Glancing from screen to mailbox, she saw that it was in fact matching, and that she was at the destined place, which made her stomach flip.

Taking in a deep breath, she mentally prepared herself for this. Rae knew it was about to be a very large blow to her pride, but her mother often told her that pride wasn’t everything, something that Rae often found herself struggling with. She didn’t like when her pride was hurt.

Small hand raised, Rae raped her knuckles on the door firmly and confidently, hoping it would give her strength. Her breath held as she heard the footsteps, trying not to fidget as the door handle turned, the door opening to reveal what looked like God’s creation.

Harry stood in the doorway, shirtless with dark jeans hung low on his hips. Every word that Rae had practiced fell silent from her lips as she stared at his toned stomach, the muscles carved and going into cut v-lines. Tattoos decorated most of his upper chest and arm, but they were nothing compared to his perfect body.

When his throat cleared, she looked up, breathless to find an infuriating smirk on his face. He clearly knew the effect his appearance had on her, and that made her fight to insult him and turn around; her pride really was taking a beating.

“Aren’t you going to invite me in?” she asked, looking past him slightly. She wasn’t sure she wanted to come in, seeing as he could have proper slags walking around his house, or it could be dirty as a street ally.

He snorted, opening the door to let her walk past, muttering, “Rich people.”

Rae ignored the dig at her, walking into his home, which was yet another shocking discovery. The wide expanse of space was spotless, and from where she could see the living room, she saw that everything was in meticulous order, the entire place absolutely spotless.

Sensing her shock, Harry brushed passed her, walking to the living room to take up the space he had been prior to her knock on the door: the couch. He tossed himself on it, going back to ignoring her, but it didn’t throw her. “You seemed surprised.”

Rae walked over to a chair and helped herself to a seat, which earned a raised brow from him, though he said nothing, eyes remaining on the TV. It seemed he had picked up watching the same movie as he had at her home. “Not surprised, rather… impressed, I suppose.”

“Oh goody. I was so hoping my clean flat would win you over.”

“Yes, that’s what every girl dreams of: a clean house. Are you always so sarcastic?”

“Are you?”

She flared her nostrils, obviously not getting anywhere with him. Hurrying along, she sighed, folding her hands. “I came to apologize.”

With amazing speed, Harry sat up, pausing the movie and moving towards her, stretching his hand and pressing it against her forehead, a quizzical look coming over his features. She flinched away from the contact, aware that it set her skin on fire, smacking his hand away. “The fuck are you doing?”

“Making sure you’re not sick. Those roofies seem to have done more damage that I imagined.”

“Oh shove off.” He grinned at her, the first smile she had ever seen from him. She couldn’t help but have her breath stolen, appreciating just how beautiful his smile was, dimples and straight teeth dazzling her. “I shouldn’t have been so rude this morning, okay? It just…. I wasn’t exactly expecting to wake up to find that you were some sort of knight in shining armor last night.”

He frowned. “Oh I was no knight in shining armor, love. You were just an idiot bird in distress. It was against my better judgment, but I decided not to leave you on the street like a proper slag.”

Rae stared at him. He really did not know how to take an apology, and he was starting to get on her nerves again, the effects of the smile wearing off. “And I thank you for that. You didn’t have to help me, but-"

“You’re right, I didn’t,” he retorted, cleaning back and pulling a flask from the table, leaning back and taking a swig of it. “Like I said, against my better judgment.”

“Are you drinking this early?”

He glanced at her and gave her a look as it if were obvious. She was astounded, standing up and snatching it from his hands. “Well, like I said, thanks for saving me. I’ll return the favor now.”

Harry stared in shock as she turned and walked out of the room, flask in hand. She hurried towards the door, but it only took a few short seconds for him to bolt after her, grabbing her by the arms and spinning her quickly, practically slamming and pinning her against the wall.

Rae went still, the hostility in his face and grip shocking her to her core. She didn’t think it was a big deal, but the wild look in his eyes stopped her from saying anything, just staring into the green pools that were raging like a storm.

Do not, think I need to be saved,” he growled, his voice low and trembling with underlying rage. Rae’s muscles tensed, fear creeping into them. “Now give me the flask, and go about you’re daily fucking life. I saved you and I meant nothing by it- don’t pretend to be doing me a favor.”

Green eyes stared into blue, one pair angry one pair terrified. Harry’s breath was hitting her face, the smell of whiskey and mint strong on it. Rae still didn’t move, her mind going a million miles a minute. As much as his threat was hanging in the air, and as much as she was terrified of him suddenly, something stayed her hand. Whether it was some higher power, or her inner self telling her to keep the flask, she had no idea.

“No,” she replied, trying not to let her voice shake. This was the Harry she knew, the Harry she had heard about, the one who used his sheer strength and anger to scare the wits out of others. And she knew very well he could harm her, as he had others, but she jut out her chin in defiance. She wouldn’t let him win. “You don’t need it. Now if you don’t mind, remove your grip from my arms.”

His grip tightened. “Give me the fucking flask, Rae.”

You don’t need it.” His grip tightened again and she cringed underneath him, her arms now feeling just how powerful his large hands were. He was hurting her now and she squirmed with discomfort, her face contorting with pain. “You’re hurting me.”

Many different emotions flit across his face and once more his grip tightened, but only a split second before he let her go roughly, spinning away from her so quickly that she blinked at the movement. He kept his back to her. “Just leave, Rae.”

Without another word, Rae left, arms throbbing slightly from where his fingers had dug into her. She paused at the door, flask in hand. She had won, but for some reason she did not feel as if she had just succeeded in something, she felt as if she had stumbled upon something she didn’t understand. “Thank you again,” she said loudly, trying to get him to face her. He didn’t. “He could have raped me… but you didn’t let him. I’ll be forever thankful.”

Without another word, the girl shut the door behind her, a breath of relief flooding from her lungs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rae's Outfit


This is how I'll do authors notes from time to time! Try to do it as much as possible. Feel free to ask questions in the comments and I'll answer them in these videos! I'm gonna try to do some shout outs and what not as well, or like.. share the songs/ playlist that I use to base my chapters on! :D