Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

Into the Nothingness

On my ‘break’ of a half hour, I decide to go around and explore The Nexus. From what I know, this place is where most of the Selva live, those who aren’t mad at least and the Guardians are housed here as well. I can’t see beyond the great city for how big it is, although I can see something which resembles a sky at least. It’s a comfort, a reminder of home and a past life. But back to the city…It reminds me of a sort of clockwork type place, with fantastic structures aplenty and instead of roads, there are cobblestone streets. Also, it’s layered almost, so that below and above me, I see bridges and more streets around. It isn’t exactly a bustling place, but I’m glad for that at least. It will let me walk on my own…

So I set off at a normal pace, leisurely strolling along the paths. As I walk, my thoughts once more drift back to Alyson, and I give a small smile. She would love the feel of the tiny pebbles lining the streets under her bare feet, and if she came out here, she would never want to leave. She wouldn’t either, in all likelihood, because she would search and explore every last square inch of the place before she returned. If we were back home, she would spend hours at her windowsill, just watching the city.

And I would be there beside her, trying to talk her into doing something more exciting with me. I’ve always wanted a good adventure, and she’s always been my partner. Whenever we were apart, which wasn’t very often, people would notice and ask where the other one was; it was almost as if we were joined at the hip. Well, and we are on our biggest adventure yet, aren’t we?

I feel like my Alyson, my friend, has gone away, replaced with someone else who just looks and acts like her in some respect. And I’ve changed as well. How could I not? Change it what drives the world and in order to survive, that’s what you need. As I walk and think though, I wish that the changes never would have happened. I could be asleep right now, snuggled in my bed, with my mom screaming in my ears for me to wake up.

Ah, but that’s changed now and it’s time for me and Alyson both to get used to our new lives. She’s a Selva and I’m a Guardian.

With a shake of my head at that thought, I keep on my way, twisting through the nameless streets of The Nexus. I know I’ll probably get lost at the rate I’m going, but I don’t really mind and besides, I can always find my way back. I’m not sure how I can, it’s just like I have some sort of invisible map in my head. I can’t see it, can’t touch it, but I sure can hear it (if you can call it hearing!).

I’m not stopped by any of the few Selva who wander the streets; in fact, they seem perfectly content to ignore my very presence. It doesn’t bother me any, and I take no notice of them either as I walk. Actually, I haven’t noticed how far I’ve gone either, in my walking, though I don’t go up or down the layers, just in a straight line.

Then I go around a corner and what looks like a path leading into a great nothingness faces me. My eyes widen a little as I wonder where the path needs, but I hang back, instead watching that great space for a long time, leaning against the side of one of the buildings. For a moment, I think about maybe leading Alyson here later on and when they finally let her out of that building, but knowing her, she’ll probably want to follow the path, and I really don’t want to have to fight her instead of against her.

There’s a whimper nearby which catches my attention, and I snap up in an instant, eyes searching that impenetrable nothingness in search of the poor creature that has made that noise. There’s a small yowl, followed by another whimper, and I step out on that path, eyes still searching.

It doesn’t take long, a couple paces at most, before I come across the creature which has made the pathetic noises. My eyes widen at the sight of it. It has the look of a wolf pup, night black with violet markings. Its nose is pale pink, its eyes golden, and it has bright white wings with light blue markings on them as well. I should be afraid of the poor little creature, as it has its teeth bared at me, but I can’t bring myself to.

Smiling softly, I reach forward tentatively, and after a few minutes, I finally manage to coax the pup into allowing me to pick it up. He doesn’t seem to like me very much, but the more I look at him, the more I think that I know someone who he’s bound to like. Alyson’s parents always were fond of animals, except that they would never allow any in their house for some strange reason, and she used to always come to my house if for nothing more than to visit the animals. I’ve always wanted for her to have her own pet, and it looks like now is my chance for that to happen.

Grinning to myself at the thought and as my watch starts to beep, letting me know my half hour is up, I gently carry the pup back across the city with the sole intention of giving him to Alyson. As I walk, I frown lightly, looking down at the beast. “What should your name be?” I ask him, but the only response I gather from this is a small growl. Shaking my head, I sigh and decide I’ll let Alyson name him.
♠ ♠ ♠