Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

A New Friend

I had just gotten settled in my room, slightly upset that I couldn't be spending time with Elias. It wasn't that I blamed him for having his duties of going to training, but so much of me thirsted to know the truth about me - or more, the truth if I was the same to him. I barely had time to sit down on the bed before the mechanical noises of the door announced that I was receiving a visitor. I didn't lift my eyes from studying my nails; it was probably just Crimson or Cat - maybe Mouse had come to bother me and question what I was doing. I squinted my eyes and pretended I didn't notice the footsteps into the room.

Someone, whoever it was, cleared their throat. "I brought you something!" His familiar voice cried happily, and I almost jumped out of my skin. I hadn't expected him to be the one to walk through that door; he was supposed to be in training right now!

"I thought you were in tr-" I started, only to be rendered quiet by his interruption.

"I know. I'm going to be a little late." He explained. "Now look at what I brought you!"

A little puppy was resting in his arms; I could tell it wasn't exactly by consent by the way the little ball of fur was snarling and squirming. The little pup had midnight fur and highlights of purple. Its golden eyes meet mine and the snarl that was twisting its snout fades away; the white and blue wings on its back started to flap a little in Elias' loose grasp as I approach closer. I couldn't help but smile at the little friend that Elias had brought for me - and his annoyance by the pup.

"He's adorable, Elias!" I exclaimed, finally grasping my fingers around some of the soft fur on his back and running my hands through it. "Absolutely adorable! Where in the world did you find him?"

"I found him out on a trail." I waited for him to elaborate, but he made no move that announced he was going to. All the while, I had removed the yelping pup from his arms and taken him in my own, cuddling my face into the thick fur on his neck. "He's all yours," he finally added.

"What's his name?" I asked as I sat down with him on the bed. He jumped out of my lap and rolled over a few times on the mattress before cuddling against my lap.

"He doesn't have one yet," Elias smiled at the look of surprise on my face. Where I was here, I was used to everything already being in place by the time I became acquainted with things. "You can name him whatever you want!"

"Hmmm!" I contemplated, letting myself fall backwards onto the mattress as I thought. Elias sat down at my head, lifting me slightly until my head was resting across his lap. "How about..." I thought some more, gathering the first thing that came to mind, "Spock!"

I looked up into Elias' face and he looked skeptical. "You mean like the 'Spock' from Star Trek?!" He asked, wrinkling his nose slightly.

"Sp-Spock from... from whaaat?" I asked him, slightly confused.

"From Star - Right, nevermind, it doesn't matter." He said, laughing as I frowned.

"What is it?! What's so funny?" I asked, slightly aggravated.

"Nothing," he ran his fingers through my hair. “You’re just so…you!”
“I’m like myself? Hmmm, that’s probably a good thing, right Elias?” I teased, poking him in the stomach as the pup growled at Elias for being so close to me.

“You know what I mean, Al!” He scowled.

I lay there in his arms for a little in silence, petting the pup on top of the head and thinking again about what name could fit – preferably one that didn’t make Elias laugh at me again, whether it was in a teasing fashion or not.

“I don’t know!” I finally said. “I don’t know any names!” My breathing got heavy, almost to the point of hyperventilation, and Elias caressed his fingers over my cheek to calm me. I felt better almost instantly, as his warm touch made my eyes slip shut in tranquility. When his fingers finally left my skin, his warmth was still there, making my cheek burn with the fiery touch.

“I know you, you’ll figure something out.”

“You knew the old me,” I muttered as the pup cuddled on my chest.
“Yeah, and I know you now.” H replied. “You’re not that different! Just gives me a chance to – “

“To what?” I asked when I realized he was deliberately not finishing the sentence.

“Nevermind.” He answered for the second time in the short interval of time we had spent together.

“Binx,” I finally blurted out, while still being confused about his refusal to my questions.

“What?”

“Binx!” I answered. “His name is Binx!” I was so proud of myself; I kissed Binx’s pink little nose and he yelped with his little puppy bark happily.

Elias smiled. “See I knew you would remem – er, figure something out.”

The watch on his arm had long been beeping, but he had ignored it thus far, meaning he was definitely well after being “late” for training.

We said our goodbyes and I was left alone with a pounding heart from laying with Elias and a puppy to cuddle with.