Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

Caught in the 'Mouse' Trap

Walking down the hallways, I barely paid attention to where I was going, as my head was bent over the infernal watch about my wrist. The entire time I had walked back with ‘Binx’ and had spent with Alyson, giving him to her, it hadn’t stopped beeping, and I was seriously considering throwing it in a puddle of water somewhere.

I didn’t get the chance though, as Mouse intercepted my path to my training session with Forest; I was sure that he would be beyond pissed at me, but I didn’t really care. He may think that my duty lies with the Selva as a race, but I know it will always lay with Alyson specifically.

As the familiar Selva stepped across my path, her eyes narrowed in a slight degree, I stopped fidgeting with my watch long enough to pull myself to halt in front of her. It still beeped loudly at my side, but I did my best to ignore it and not show how much it aggravated me as I tipped my head to Mouse. “Do you need something?” I ask. “If so, I’m actually needed in training.”

It isn’t as if I take particular pleasure in being rude to her; on the contrary, Mouse has probably been one of the nicer Selva where I’m concerned, second place to Alyson really. As of late though, she has been showing up in my path more and more often, and I’ve started to become cautious in her presence, especially now whereas before I had nothing to hide.

“Oh, your training session has been cancelled. It’s been half an hour since you were supposed to show and Adam now as other business to attend to.” Her eyes seem to narrow the slightest fraction, and this sets my nerves on high alert as I keep my distance from her that I have, which is a few paces at most.

She takes a step towards me, her small body graceful and nimble, quick as well. I barely have time for my mind to comprehend what’s happening before she’s reached out and taken my hand, slipping her fingers between mine, her palm pressed against my own. “You know Elias, you’re playing such a dangerous game,” she whispers.

I stagger back a step without meaning to, but she keeps pace with me so that she’s still just in front of me. I haven’t managed to get any space between us. She slips her hand out of mine and holds it up, tracing lines against my palm, making it tingle as I feel a bit of magic leaking from her fingertips. I clench my jaw and yank my hand away, beyond caring if I’m rude or not at that moment.

“You don’t need to tell me that; I’m already aware. You should know though, that I won’t be an easy opponent to take down,” I tell her, just short of growling. I can’t quite place where my sudden anger has emerged from, except that somewhere in my bones, I feel as if she has just threatened Alyson in a way.

I’m sorely mistaken as well, if I think that I’ve put a damper on Mouse’s mood or even have intimidated her in the least. A smirk tugs at her lips as she practically presses her body against mine, pushing me into an alcove where no one else will be able to see us, unlike in the exposed hallway. I have to give her credit, she’s a fairly intelligent one, Mouse. I can also imagine her being thousands of years old, and I know I should be afraid of her. In a way, she’s more dangerous than Crimson.

“Oh, I know you won’t be,” she says, still pressed against me. If it weren’t for that, I would easily be able to slip out of the alcove and escape from her presence. “But you see, that’s what makes you so intriguing. You’re still a little human boy; you haven’t even lived a century yet, but already you seem to know what you’re doing, or at least what you should be doing.

“You’re trying to protect that girl too, aren’t you? 0074; she is your Selva after all, and you knew her in life. You want her to remember, because you remember, right?” She’s hit so close to home that I actually flinch. With my back against the wall though, I’m cornered and can’t go anywhere.

And then she leans up, her breath hot against my ear, her hands at my wrists, pinning them against the wall too. “Or you could forget, couldn’t you?” I turn my head away, but immediately feel her frown and her hands pinching my jaw, turning me back to face her. I refuse to talk; I would certainly say something I don’t want to.

“I could make you forget all about her, that little spell she holds over you and you over her. Oh, it isn’t the same, I can tell; but maybe if I let you forget…” And here her hand traces a pattern across my jaw, the feeling of magic slipping under my skin all the while, sickening my stomach. “Maybe then she will be a proper Selva and you a Guardian.”

She doesn’t simply leave me with those words though and that invasion of privacy. Instead, she goes the full mile and once more puts her hand down to my wrist, pinning it against the wall again as she presses her lips against mine, magic seeping and making my thoughts swim as she kisses me.