Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

And Love Comes Crashing Down

I had yet to leave Elias’ room, although he had left quite a few minutes ago. I just couldn’t bring myself to leave quite yet. I wanted to wait until he came back; until I could see the smile on his face when he told me that all was ok. I trusted that he would have better luck with Crimson than I would – Elias didn’t exactly take no for an answer.

When the door made the metallic noise of opening, I jumped off of the bed to greet him, knowing that I would know in a second if he had been successful or not. The hopeful smile on my face faded away quickly when I saw the blonde hair and looked into Cat’s menacing eyes. I wondered what it was she was doing here… Meh, I couldn’t complain though; at least it wasn’t Mouse who was walking in to my Guardian’s room.

“I was hoping I was going to get you alone.” She started; her eyes were burning with a type of melancholy fire. “I was more expecting to catch you while you were leaving, not while you were alone in your Guardian’s room but this always works.”

“So you feel like it’s just authorized for you to come in to my Guardian’s room?” I spat at my mentor, not caring that it had come out as bitter as it did. I couldn’t help it; she had destroyed my hope when I saw her catlike eyes instead of his bright brown ones.

“I’m sorry, 0074, but this is very important!” She countered, and I remembered our brief encounter.

“Oh, about whatever it was you wanted to talk to me about?” I asked. “Listen, if this is about my reluctance and spacing out in classes, I’m really sorry! I guess I’m just trying to get used to everything, and I’ve been having trouble doing so.”

“That’s fine, 0074. I completely understand.” She said, making herself comfortable by resting herself against the bedside table. “That’s not what I wanted to talk to you about, though.”

“Oh? Then what is it?” The worst case scenario played right there in my head. We all know that your Guardian is telling you too much… Alyson? I felt a little dizzy, fearing that these words would meet my ears so soon.

“It’s just…” She started suddenly and trailed off just as quick. “Listen, before you say anything I need you to listen to everything that I have to say. You’re not going to like what it is that I have to say, so don’t jump to any conclusions.”

My heart sank even more from the words that she was saying.

When I did nothing more than nod impatiently, wanting to know what she had to say quickly to get it over with, she went on. “Gosh, you shouldn’t be the one who is looking so nervous! I’m the one who has to tell this to you; I’m the one who might have her head ripped off by you right after I do! I see the way you look at him – your Guardian, I mean. You care about him; maybe you think you love him. It’s not wrong to feel that way; our Guardians are so important to us.” She had almost hit home…just almost. I was in love with him, but not just because he was my Guardian… There was more than that; stuff that I couldn’t tell Cat.

“Is that all you wanted to tell me?” I asked, trying to get out of my head from all of this.

“No.” She frowned. “It’s just that… don’t let yourself fall into those feelings.”

“I don’t… I don’t understand Cat.” My heart was deteriorating more and more as the time passed.

“I… I saw your Guardian,” she began, “kissing Mouse!”

My heart fully burst then. I wanted to fall back onto the bed, but I felt bad laying on his bed as a violation of privacy then. Had he been leading me on then? I was taken back to his words: you were my “best friend.” He had given up his life for me when I had become a Selva, but that obviously didn’t change anything. I was his Selva, but I would never be his Selva.

“I’m sorry, 0074.” Cat apologized. “I saw it happen, and I thought I should let you know.”

“Thank you, Cat. I – I need to go talk to him!” My voice cracked as it took everything in me to hold back tears.

~~~

Getting to Crimson’s room, I really didn’t know what I was planning to say. Part of me really wanted to find Elias in there, but another part of me didn’t. I so badly wanted to talk to him about this, but I didn’t want to know what he would say. Would he laugh at me that I could’ve ever believed that he loved me?

“Hello, 0074. What can I do for you?” Crimson greeted as I entered the room. I frowned as I noticed her alone in the room when I had expected to find Elias there arguing with her.

“How long ago did Elias leave? I’m looking for him.” Her eyes were blank with questioning.

“Well, why would you look here? He hasn’t been here. Guardians don’t usually come here unless they are summoned for some reason.” She blinked a few times innocently, and I wanted to cry.

“But, when I told him… about what you said… Are you sure?”

“He hasn’t been here at all, 0074. I’m sorry! I’ll keep my eyes open and if I see him I’ll find you. It’s not very often that one of our Guardians get lost.” She smiled at me.

I left then, my heart breaking more with every paralyzing step. My worst fears were coming true; he had probably ditched me to go spend time with Mouse. Maybe he wanted her to be his Selva instead… He had a lot of explaining to do…