Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

A Dangerous Opponent

I clench my hands as I watch her. She’s asleep, and the Selva say that she won’t wake for a while yet. Her body is recuperating physically and mentally from being killed, and when she wakes up she won’t remember me. As I look at her, I can’t help but notice how pale her skin is now, and I remember how it used to be a glowing honey color. I remember her as she used to be before, with burnt umber hair and the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever laid eyes on. Alyson has always been my friend, my best friend in fact, and I love her in a way that’s unexplainable.

It isn’t a love that makes me want to kiss her and hold her; no, it has never been like between us and it never will. She’s closer to me than family; we know everything about each other, and there’s a sort of unbreakable bond…well there was. My worst fear is that when she wakes up not only will she not remember me, but everything will be different between us and she won’t be the same girl who I love. Then again, that’s why I’m here too isn’t it? Because I want to protect her. I’m her Guardian now.

At that thought, I touch the hilt of a blade sitting comfortably at my hip, then sigh as I run a hand through my hair, shaking my head softly. “Elias?” As I hear my name, I turn my head to the woman standing at the door, motioning me out into the hallway. I’ve been reluctant to leave Alyson’s side, known as 0074 to the Selva until she is renamed. I shake off that reluctantcy as I carefully maneuver my way through the room and out into the dimly lit hallway.

Crimson stands before me, just a little shorter than myself as I’m a rather tall person. Her hair is brilliantly colored, and probably the reason for her name, I can’t help but think. It’s her most eye-catching feature, though she also holds a strange air of…what is it? Authority? To most of the other Selva, she seems to be intimidating, and I’m sure if I were wiser, I would think the same. The truth is though, while I accept that as a Guardian in a Selvic place, she is essentially above me in power, I cannot gather any respect for her.

She probably helped plan out what’s happening now with Alyson, and so I feel nothing but contempt for the woman, no matter what I try to tell myself. “What is it now, Crimson?” I ask, feeling a strong headache coming on. This past day has been stressful, to say the least.

“I’m going to lead you to your own chambers now. Do not worry, they are nearby, as you are 0074’s Gua-”

“Alyson,” I cut in sharply, eyes narrowing at the woman before me. “Her name is Alyson, not 0074, and you should tell her as much. She is not just another number.” It’s all I can do not to growl at her.

From the smoldering look she gives me now, it’s all she can do as well. That much gives me a small amount of satisfaction at least. “You will not, under any circumstance, tell her of her real name, that you knew her in her past life, or anything pertaining to such! As far as we’re concerned, Alyson is dead and in her place is 0074. When she completes her training, she will be rewarded with a name, but until that time, 0074 is what you will call her too, Elias Ward. Do I need to remind you that we Selva are the Power here? If you give us one reason to believe you aren’t meeting your requirements, then we will dispose of you. Do you understand me?”

I wish I could tell her what I think of her and her entire Selvic organization, what I think of how they’re going to be using Alyson in the future and how they’re already trying to use me to their own ends. Even I have enough sense to know when not to push further than I should, and I know I’ve reached the limits of her anger for the time being.

With a sardonic bow and nod, I smile my most wicked smile and motion to her. “Yes, m’lady. You were showing me to my chambers?” For now I’ll play their game, but they should know they’ve chosen a very, very dangerous opponent.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter. The POV will switch between 0074 (aka, Alyson) and Elias. Special thanks to my co-author, dancingskiingwriter for writing with me!!