Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

The Two Guardians

Splayed out across the bed that’s supposed to me mine, I stare at the ceiling as I wonder what has caused my memory loss exactly. I’ve asked Mouse, and she claims that she hasn’t the slightest idea, so I guess no one knows. Then there’s that other Selva: 0074. I can’t seem to get her out of my mind. The way she looked at me, acted, and then ran off with tears in her eyes when I couldn’t bring myself to act like I actually remembered or knew her…it’s all there, haunting my mind.

Groaning, I run a hand through my hair and cover my face with my hands, closing my eyes tightly against the light as I try to forget that chance encounter. ’Why can’t I remember? Come on, Elias. She knows you, she probably knows your past, and it’s obvious she used to be your friend at least. Remember!’

“I don’t think you want to fall asleep like that; you’ll probably wake up all stiff and hurting,” a voice says from nearby. It’s male, telling me he’s a Guardian in all likelihood, and after a few moments, I move my hands, sitting up to look at him. Blonde hair and icy blue eyes, he didn’t even look remotely familiar, so I know I haven’t met him before. Well, since after I’ve woken up to this strange place anyway.

I’m not quite sure whether to trust him or not, though some sort of natural instinct tells me that I can relax. I don’t listen to it, instead keeping on guard as I watch him warily; I just don’t know who to trust around here. Mouse seems really nice, has been ever since she found me, and I’ve about decided to trust her, but as for most others…I just can’t tell.

“I wasn’t trying to sleep. Just to think,” I reply stiffly, though I never meant to show my distrust. Cringing a little, I glance at the guy nearby. “Sorry, I’m having…adjustment problems I guess,” I sigh. I really need to work on my social skills apparently…

The boy grins, pulling up a chair and sitting in front of me, pulling it backwards so that the back if facing me. He straddles the chair, propping his elbows up as he seems to inspect me. “Don’t worry, I sort of figured considering you lost your memory,” he says, then shrugs. “Oh, and I’m Oliver by the way,” he adds, sticking out his hand.

A bit surprised at this sudden turn in events, I hesitate a moment before putting my hand out as well, grasping his in my own and we shake for a moment. “Elias,” I say simply. I can’t even remember my own last name, my age, what I like and dislike. Nothing.

“I know,” Oliver chuckles, pulling his hand back again and propping it on the back of the chair once more. “I’m recent friends with your Selva, 0074. They were about to make me her replacement Guardian because she needed one with you gone, and I don’t have a Selva…but then you showed up again, so I guess you’ll still be her Guardian.”

Giving him a puzzled look, I tip my head a bit to the side. “Why are you telling me this?” I ask hesitantly, not quite sure I want to know though. Something about this entire situation just doesn’t…feel right.

He smiles, albeit wryly, and I leer back a little. He shakes his head and sighs, leaning against the chair. “I don’t know why I’m here exactly, actually…I just got done talking to her.” He runs a hand through his hair. “I guess I just want you to know something, Elias. She really cares about you; you two had a connection that no other Selva and Guardian have had before, and from what I understand, you disappeared at a bad time. No one knows what happened to you, and she’s been torn up for days. Imagine how happy she was when she saw you, just walking through the halls? And then she gets to you, expects to have her friend back, and you can’t even remember her face. I guess I’m just saying…this is really hard on her, and I want you to know that. You should go find her soon, get to know her again. There’s got to be a reason you used to be such good friends.”

I watch him as he speaks, not quite sure what to say to him. ’How does he know all of this? He couldn’t have met her sooner than yesterday, from what he’s been saying about the timeline.’ I try not to concentrate on it too much though as I sigh softly. “Okay, I’ll talk to her…give me time to gather my bearings though, at least. As things are, I can barely tell my head from my ass,” I grumble.

Oliver puts his hands in the air, looking as if I might attack him. “Hey, I surrender. There’s a saying, yeah? Goes along the line of don’t kill the messenger; I’m that messenger.” He’s leaned back in the chair by this point, and with a sigh, I shake my head at him.

“Down Fido; I don’t bite,” I roll my eyes, wondering exactly what a ‘Fido’ is though. Shaking my head at myself, I put my hands on my thighs, leaning forward as I watch him.

He raises an eyebrow at me, but doesn’t say anything for a moment. “You know, I have the perfect cure for cranky, grouchy, and any other bad feeling,” he says, standing. He pauses to put the chair back before looking to me again. “What do you say we go for a training session? I kick your ass, you have to talk to 0074…today. You kick my ass-” he pauses with a shrug. “Then I’ll leave you alone.”

I watch him, considering his proposition for a long moment before I chuckle a bit. “Well then, let’s hope I don’t get my ass kicked,” I say, pushing up from off the bed and standing up. We shake hands to seal the deal before we both head out into the halls and I let him lead the way.