Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

Promise to Keep

For the sake of friendliness, sportsmanship, and to avoid actually seriously wounding one another, Oliver and I have opted for a wrestling match of sorts to decide the winner. No beating the crap out of each other, stabbing each other, slashing, hacking, shooting, or any serious harm involved. I’m sure we’re both relieved.

“Ready to go, Oli?” I call to him from just a few feet away.

“Whenever you are, Eli.” We both grin mischievously for a moment.

With that, we start. I don’t actually remember fighting really; of course then again, I don’t remember anything, and so this puts me at a disadvantage against the other Guardian. I try not to let that knowledge daunt me though as we come at each other, getting in an arm lock.

However, that doesn’t take long before he trips me up and when I’m falling catches me in a headlock. His arms are around my neck, and I try to struggle and wiggle my way out of it. To no avail though, and so I take desperate measures and open my mouth up wide, chomping down on his arm soon after. At the same time my teeth sink into skin, my tongue slides over his arm; hopefully that freaks him out enough to let go of me.

Surprisingly enough, the tactic works and as he lets me go in disgust, I dance away a couple of feet out of his reach with a small grin. “Dude, that’s seriously disgusting,” he says, his nose wrinkled as he wipes his arm on his shirt.

With a laugh, I shrug at him. “So? There’s no rules against slobbering on your opponent. Even if I can’t remember much, I know how to get out of a bind,” I say. It isn’t exactly boasting, but I still have my wits about me if nothing else, and that comes as a reassurance.

Oliver raises his eyebrows. “I would like to think there shouldn’t need to be a rule against slobbering on someone,” he said, smiling all the while though as he gives a shake of his head. “And also, since you seem so confident, let’s see you get out of this.”

With what seems to be zero warning, he rushes at me, so fast that I barely catch the movement before he’s bowled me into the ground. Winded, it takes me a moment to gather my bearings and by then he has me pinned to the ground. With how relaxed he looks sitting on me, he makes it seem as if it’s effortless to do so, even though I’m struggling.

Growling a bit, I try to shove him off, to roll over, do something to get out of it, but he just applies more pressure and holds me there until I’ve pretty much exhausted myself, and I lay my head back on the ground with a thump, giving up. “I can’t believe I lost,” I groan quietly, closing my eyes for a moment. As he starts to get up with my admitting defeat, I open them again, shaking my head at his smug expression.

After he’s up, he helps me as well, slapping me on the back when I’m up. “Looks like you’ll be talking to 0074 today after all,” he says with a triumphant grin, as if he’s just accomplished some awesome act of nature or something. I give him an odd look, shaking my head softly, then smile softly at him.

“Well, good fighting then. That pretty much shows me that I have a lot of work to do if I’m going to be a Guardian. I’m not sure that was exactly fair or stacked in my favor anyway though,” I say with a small laugh, trying to lighten up the mood before I have to go and talk to someone who’s barely left my mind, who I’m sure I’m going to make cry.

“Yes well, you agreed to it, so you have no one to blame but yourself.” There’s a lull in the conversation in which we both stand there kind of awkwardly, and then he clears his throat, rubbing the back of his neck. “So, want me to walk there with you? To 0074, I mean. I don’t guess you’ll really know where she is or how to find her room.”

I chew on my lip thoughtfully for a moment and nod with a small sigh. “Sure, I guess,” I say, not really feeling up to trying and lightening the mood anymore. With that, we both head back down the hall in a sort of awkward silence, and soon we’re standing before a large wooden door. Oliver gives me a thumbs-up and a reassuring look before giving me a small shove towards the door.

I mock-glare at him in return, then as he heads off to leave, I slowly open the door, looking into the room. Almost immediately, I see her laying there, curled up with what appears to be a wolf pup of sorts with wings. As it sees me as well, it immediately gives out a low growl, and already, I feel wary of coming in here, but knowing I have to, if for nothing more than because I told Oliver I would.

Clearing my throat to get her attention, I step in the room, closing the door behind me, rubbing the back of my head, not quite sure what to say or even think at the moment. “Uhh…hi…” I say, chewing on the inside of my cheek. “Umm, sorry…I don’t really know what to say, but…I know that I used to know you, be your friend, and I’m your Guardian so…ahh…yeah, I thought we could talk. Would you mind?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the shortness of chapters lately; they should get longer again soon I hope!