Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

Mending

“We’re going on a mission.” 0074 pretty much only whispered those words, but I can feel her excitement and happiness bubbling just below the surface, much akin to my own. I hadn’t been too sure when I had gone to Crimson with my request (which was more of a demand actually), but now that I can see the expression on her face and how happy she seems, I know I did the right thing. I’ll be a proper Guardian in no time, and she’ll be a full-fledged Selva. Once that happens, it will be assured that we’ll be a team that no one can tear apart, and somehow I’ll find my memory again.

’She’s really changed my outlook since I woke up without knowing anything,’ I realize with a small smile, glancing at her from the corner of my eye. She looks like she could practically jump up and down. I hadn’t known anything, had just tried to figure it out as I go along and do what people have asked of me in this place. Since the couple of talks we’ve had though, I feel like I’m rediscovering a part of me I had lost, a rebel and a confident person. And since I’ve confronted Crimson, I haven’t felt better.

Maybe, just maybe, this whole Guardian thing isn’t too bad. I can imagine myself protecting this girl with my life, and though it feels somewhat strange of me to think of, it does feel right and it sort of gives me a sense of purpose. ’It’s decided then, Elias. You’re really her Guardian now- you won’t mess it up.’ Feeling a smile touch my lips, I stuff my hands in my pockets. “Yup, we’re going on a mission,” I confirm. “And since you’re going to be the one being tested to see whether we can or not, then I’ll just have to help you study. Even if I don’t use magic like you do, I’m sure I can still help.”

Not sure whether I’m reassuring myself or her, I smile and nudge her gently, propelling us both into motion down the halls. I know rumors are already milling around; it seems to be one of Selvas favorite things to do for some reason, but I ignore them as we walk together down the hall. “Elias?”

“Hmm?” I turn a little so that I can look down to 0074, who’s already looking up at me. Doubt seems to be clouding her eyes and she’s fidgeting with her fingers, which causes me to stop us both, putting my hand on her elbow with a frown creasing between my eyebrows. “What is it?” I ask gently, knowing automatically that something is wrong, not just from her expression or how she had said my name, but her entire demeanor because it basically spells it out for me.

As I touch her elbow to stop her from walking, and face her, something changes in her expression, but before I can decipher it, it’s gone again and she bites her lip. I watch her quietly, not wanting to say anything yet, and not before she can get out what she needs to. I figure she just needs time, and that’s what I’m going to give her, for the moment. “W-what if I fail the tests?” It comes out quietly, almost so quietly that I don’t catch the sentence, but I manage to make it out.

Running a hand through my hair, I sigh softly as I relax somewhat. There’s nothing particularly wrong- she’s just having doubts about whether we’ll be able to go on the mission. At least it’s nothing big. I don’t know how good I’ll be at giving advice. “I’m going to help you, and so is Cat. We’ll even get Crimson to help if we need to or some other Selva. You’ll have all the help you need so that you’re prepared for those assessments, and then you’ll blow their minds with how awesome you are. There’s no way you’re going to fail, and if I hear another word about you doubting yourself, then I’ll make you run 20 laps around this building first thing the next morning. Got it?”

Possibly, I’m maybe being a little too harsh with what I just told her, especially since I basically threatened to punish her for having doubts, which is natural for everyone, but for some reason it feels like it’s the only way that she’ll actually listen to me, so I do my best not to feel guilty about it. After all, everyone needs a small push every now and then. And surprisingly enough, she actually smiles at me, like she’s looking at someone who she’s lost and just found, and it catches me a bit off guard. I smile back though as she nods. “Okay then. I’ll do my best to pass in that case!” she says.

I shake my head, tapping her head with my finger. “Nope- no doubts, remember? Repeat after me: You will pass those tests.” Encouraged by her good reaction to my earlier little statement, I decide it can’t hurt to keep up with it, especially since if I don’t, she won’t take me seriously about making her run 20 laps around the building. I may not be her boss and can’t make her do anything really, but I feel that on this occasion I have a little right to do something of that nature.

Frowning at me for a moment, she shifts into another smile as she gives a small roll of her eyes. Yup, she definitely seems happier that she used to, and I’m glad I’m not causing her to cry anymore, but instead can make her smile. It feels good. “Okay then,” she draws out slowly for a moment. “I will pass those tests.” There’s more conviction in her voice than there had been before, and satisfied, I smile and nod.

“Good,” I say to her, then propel us into walking towards the training room again. “Then I guess I should get you back to Cat. I’ll probably be with Forest or something, working on training, myself, since I still have a bit of work to do on my end, but when or if you need my help, don’t be afraid to come find me. We’re a team now, right?”

We’ve just gotten to the doors to the training room, and I pause once more as I smile down at her. I really want her to know that I’m there for her, even if she may not necessarily realize that. I need her to know it though, and come to me if she ever needs it. For a long moment, there’s silence between us, and then with an almost timid smile, she nods softly to me. “Okay, I will.”

Nodding to her, I turn to go, but she grabs my wrist quickly before I can. I look back at her questioningly, but before I can get a question out, she comes up on her tip-toes and kisses my cheek gently for a moment. “Thank you, Elias,” she says, somewhat quickly as color starts to come to her cheeks and then she practically runs into the training room like she’s trying to avoid my gaze. I stand there for a long moment, staring at the spot she has just been, wondering what exactly just happened.